Did you see Rhett Shull's review of the Axe-Fx III?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GV Quinn

I don’t really ‘buy’ Rhett Shull, I don’t know what he does.. he seems to be friends with Rick Beato, but he’s the the most plain Jane, more of the same player ever.

This shtick with the leather jackets while playing G and C, I’m just playing 25 years, maybe I’m a snob but I’m expecting more. Not necessarily talent or fancy anything, but stop saying you’re a foody and talking about grilled cheese. It’s trite and boring, if you’re not making new music, then I don’t want to hear what you have to say. Guaranteed it’s the same sh1te; ‘I prefer vintage, I prefer real tube pedals and analogue Alnico’, get lost, nobody cares what you say, that’s the problem I see.

He’s the kind of guy who says he can hear the difference between the best modellers and real amps but I don’t believe him. Your favourite artist could use the Axe FX to do an album and you wouldn’t know. It’s nonsense, I rolled my eyes when he said ‘I like classic edge of breakup’, oh FFS it’s 2021, another broken record of the same old trite noodling. Sick of hearing these people talk like they’re to be listened to.

Last edited:

MrTAteMyBalls

I don’t really ‘buy’ Rhett Shull, I don’t know what he does.. he seems to be friends with Rick Beato, but he’s the the most plain Jane, more of the same player ever.

This shtick with the leather jackets while playing G and C, I’m just playing 25 years, maybe I’m a snob but I’m expecting more. Not necessarily talent or fancy anything, but stop saying you’re a foody and talking about grilled cheese. It’s trite and boring, if you’re not making new music, then I don’t want to hear what you have to say. Guaranteed it’s the same sh1te; ‘I prefer vintage, I prefer real tube pedals and analogue Alnico’, get lost, nobody cares what you say, that’s the problem.
He had a video fairly recently where he said the tube screamer sucks....lol. like dude the problem isnt the pedal. He does a lot of clickbait stuff.

hafizimran

I think his video has one MAJOR problem- He uses click-baity titles like “The Axe-FX III has one MAJOR problem”.

Had he titled it “The Axe-FX III sounds the best, but UI can be better”, most people wouldn’t have clicked on his video, there would probably not be a response video, nor would there be a specific TGP thread on it- all of which increase engagement with his content. Perfect “influencer” move right there.

Last edited:

GV Quinn

And that's a simple solution to your problem, that we should all practice more.

That's not really related to what I said. I'm talking about people who just prattle on about gear, as an ending in itself. Gear is there to make music, I don't hear music, I hear obsessing over vintage this and that.

Foxmeister

Gold Supporting Member
That’s the one I was on about.

Yeah, I guessed that, but you said that this is video was about " what is a P90?", whereas it actually asks a different question, namely "What is the P90 sound?", which isn't the same thing, and follows on from an entire series of videos asking "What is the <Whatever> sound?".

The thing is, if you aren't interested in the content, why click on it when that particular video wasn't even vaguely clickbaity?

Obviously, his AxeFX video had a clickbaity title, so I can see why some people get bent out of shape over that, but clickbait is just something that we have to contend with these days, and those who use clickbait get more views than those who don't, and if you are a content creator that relies on YouTube for some income, you either go with the flow or sink into obscurity.

Foxmeister

Gold Supporting Member
That's not really related to what I said. I'm talking about people who just prattle on about gear, as an ending in itself. Gear is there to make music, I don't hear music, I hear obsessing over vintage this and that.

That's an opinion, but it isn't one I share.

I enjoy playing the guitar but I also enjoy the gear and I personally consider them complementary hobbies, which can be viewed completely separately - the gear certainly can be an end in itself!

Strange place to express this opinion though - a forum literally dedicated to prattling on about gear! ;)

GV Quinn

No, I lost interest in anything he has to say ever since his absurdly childish hissy fit temper tantrum video, because Gibson put some switches in their guitar. Which you don't have to use or even know they exist.

Don't buy the guitar if you don't want it. Sitting around and complaining about features that have been added, what the hell is that about? Just buy a used one exactly as you want it and get on with it.

Why does he do it? Views and income.

Last edited:

GV Quinn

That's an opinion, but it isn't one I share.

I enjoy playing the guitar but I also enjoy the gear and I personally consider them complementary hobbies, which can be viewed completely separately - the gear certainly can be an end in itself!

Strange place to express this opinion though - a forum literally dedicated to prattling on about gear! ;)

Great, more power to you, thank god we were able to talk. :wave

LaXu

Perhaps you're not his target audience? ;)

Personally, I rather enjoy his "What is the 《Insert whatever sound?" videos.

I actually particularly liked the one about P90s.

Agreed. I think his "what's the signature sound of pickup/amp" series has been pretty decent. Certainly not as good as Pete Thorn's "amps in the zone" but still the kind of info that is useful for someone who is maybe not familiar with a piece of gear.

If you know all that, just skip the video, it's not for you. There's room for content suited for different players.

What I dislike about Rhett is the clickbait titles etc. IMO he does not need to do that and more content creators should take a stance against that sort of nonsense. People put so much effort into trying to game YT algorithms when they don't even know what those algorithms will prioritize in reality and just follow what everyone else is doing which just leads to more clickbait.

Orvillain

This shtick with the leather jackets while playing G and C, I’m just playing 25 years, maybe I’m a snob but I’m expecting more. Not necessarily talent or fancy anything, but stop saying you’re a foody and talking about grilled cheese. It’s trite and boring, if you’re not making new music, then I don’t want to hear what you have to say. Guaranteed it’s the same sh1te; ‘I prefer vintage, I prefer real tube pedals and analogue Alnico’, get lost, nobody cares what you say, that’s the problem I see.

He’s the kind of guy who says he can hear the difference and I don’t believe him. Your favourite artist could use the Axe FX to do an album and you wouldn’t know. It’s nonsense, I rolled my eyes when he said ‘I like classic edge of breakup’, oh FFS it’s 2021, another broken record of the same old trite noodling. Sick of hearing these people talk like they’re to be listened to.

You seem nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom