Did your Fender become a partscaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edward, Jun 4, 2019.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

As in, it started out as a Fender ...a beat up MIM strat, to be specific.

1. Then I changed the orig MIM maple neck to a Warmoth maple
    2. Then I swapped the body out for a diff Fender strat body
    3. Then I swapped the neck for a MIA with rosewood

So my "original" MIM strat now wears a different MIM body, an MIA neck in rw, and don't even get me started on the hardware etc, hahaha! I think one --yes, just one-- tone pot may be the original, seriously ...ok, maybe the cap and wires, too. Kind of like the "same" hammer whose handle and head have been replaced over the years.

Bottom line is I liked the guitar when I bought it ...really cheap. Now I love the guitar. But if I summed the cost of the various tidbits, it is by no means cheap! Maybe it's true, quality does cost you ...lol at myself!

What's your true Fender "partscaster" ...share! :D

Edward

stratzrus likes this.
  2. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

This is why guitars should have a matching numbers system that gets attached to the serial number like a car's VIN being linked to its parts by way of every part sharing the same code.

3. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

At this point your original MIM Strat isn't even part of the equation any more, you have a parts-caster and a stock MIM Strat in pieces.

4. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

Yeah the lines are a little blurred. I had a MIA stratocaster and put a MIM body and bridge on it. Everything else is all original but I still consider it a partscaster because such a large part of it has been changed.

5. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I bought a dead mint '96 Am std tobacco burst Strat for a great price. I lived with it as is for a year then decided the neck just wasnt right for me so I got a Warmoth '59 with SS frets, finished it with Tru-oil and slapped some hipshot locking tuners on it. I replaced the trem with a gotoh 510 and installed an Ilitch backplate to tame the noise. I lived with that config for the last 3-4 years but now I'm going to swap the guts for a zexcoil loaded pickguard. I also want to swap the body for a light weight roasted alder or ash body with an oil finish but that will probably wait for at least another year.

So I started with that '96 fender strat and will eventually end up with an all warmoth partcaster.

Theseus would be proud!

BTW I'm pretty sure I first heard about this concept in Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

6. Obsessive Tinkerer

Obsessive Tinkerer Member

Hmm,

I have a few. One US Standard, pickups got replaced with CS 69’s, 90’s US Standard bridge with 2010’s US Standard bridge, neck went haywire so replaced with US Special neck...

Body and pickguard are 100% original.

Does that count.

7. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

This one started out as a 2009 Squier CV50's Tele. Fantastic Tele. The only problem was that it weighed 10 pounds...

I finally had had enough of the weight, and ordered a GFS 3 lb Daphne Blue Double Bound body, and had my tech put the Squier neck and hardware on the new GFS lightweight body.

I also changed out the stock 5-hole black pickguard to an 8-hole tortoise shell.

Voila! My 5 lb 12 oz Tele partscaster. Plays and sounds the same. (Maybe even a little better?.. :dunno)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. edward

edward Supporting Member

^^^ absolutely remarkable weight loss, wow! And most assuredly worth the "non-original" results ...not to mention double bound teles are beautiful! Well done, sir! :D

Edward

Telechamp likes this.
  9. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

The only original components on my 50s Road Worn Strat are the body & neck.

10. jvin248

jvin248 Member

You're looking at that guitar from the wrong end of the telescope ...

You obviously have a US Fender Strat with a new body and hardware --
    "I swapped out the MIA body because I liked this MIM body so much better."

DiAmoroso likes this.
  11. Telechamp

Telechamp Member

Thanks. Yep, it's like getting a brand new (and very lightweight) guitar.. !!

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

The only two things still original on my 99 MIA Standard Strat are the body and output jack. I bought it new and slowly replaced everything to make it the ultimate Strat for me, which many will argue it’s not a Strat anymore.

13. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Seems to me the OP could put his first guitar back together and have both!

Could he call that the original Fender though, or would it then be a partscaster? :bonk

DiAmoroso likes this.
  14. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Fender has stacks of bodies and necks. They are all partscasters to an extent as was the original intent. A matching numbers system for bodies and necks would make them not partscasters.*

*i am a Gibson guy at heart. What do I know about partscasters?

cratz2 likes this.
  15. lefty kwan

lefty kwan Member

Yup, my mia telecaster lost it’s maple neck for a Japanese strat copy rosewood slab board neck. I needed to add a slight shim to the neck to make it work but it turned out awesome. The guitar plays great, sounds great and looks cool. I had to raise the string tree a slight bit , so I used a fender pick (drilled a hole) to raise it; now it it still says fender on the head stock ;)

16. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

My #1 is a MIM 62 RI. I've still got he body and neck, but most other stuff has been changed. It's become my ongoing attempt at a poor man's 62.

I think the output jack is probably original, and the nut oddly enough, but aside from the wood that's about it. It's even been refinished.

17. beatcomber

beatcomber Member

In 2002, I bought a new CIJ '62 Tele reissue, ordered from Ishibashi in Tokyo.
    In 2006, I sold it.

In 2007, I bought a brand new Highway One Tele. A few years later, I bought a Fender Japan '60s neck on eBay and put it on the Hwy1 body, and sold the Hwy1 neck.

A few years later, I ran into the guy who bought my first Tele, and he had moved everything to a new body, so I made a deal to buy back the body by itself. I then moved everything to the CIJ body (I liked the color better), and sold the Hwy1 body.

Finally, I replaced the Hwy1 pickups with a set of Fender USA '64 Tele pickups.

So, in its current state:

2008(?) Fender Japan '60s neck
    2002 Fender Japan '60s body
    Highway One pickguard, electronics, and bridge
    Fender USA '64 Tele pickups

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.
  18. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

More like my spare parts became a partscaster that I ended giving to this kid that wanted to learn to play.

beatcomber likes this.
  19. pickdropper

pickdropper Supporting Member

This is my Strat Minus (formerly Strat Plus). I put a Warmoth neck after three Fender necks (two ran out of adjustment).

It's completely original with the exception of:

Neck
    Tuners
    Pickups
    Pickguard
    Pots
    Switch
    Plastic

[​IMG]

derekd likes this.