Didgeridoo in a live setting. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by cdrjayb, Apr 1, 2015.

1. cdrjayb

cdrjayb Member

Hi folks. I play in an acoustic duo and my partner plays the didge. We get a good sound out front with the didge but struggle with getting enough monitor level for my partner to be happy with.

We just can't seem to get it loud enough without horrible low end feedback. If my partner covers the sound hole with his mouth it stops but he's also the singer. Either way we should be able to dial out the FB. I've worked on the EQ and have a lot of the bottom end dialed out but still FB.

We typically have the mic resting on some foam on the floor about a foot away from the end of the didge. We have a small mic stand for it next gig to see if that's the issue.

My main problem is that my duo partner loves to have the FOH speakers to the side and slightly back to get some fill. So I have to compromise, it's his PA after all. :)

The current rig is Mackie DL806, 2 x 15 EV ETX cabs, 2 x 8 EV ZXA1 monitors. (the ZXA1's are a new edition that I hope will help the problem: we previously used his old Alto's)

I should note that this issue is generally not present at outdoor gigs (beer gardens etc) but rears it's ugly head indoors.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. stratrat2000

stratrat2000 Member

Lots of didges in my neck of the woods for some reason so I see 'em a lot (possibly more often than I 'd like :)). Live I usually mic them a lot closer - max 6" away, usually much closer. Highpass filter is a must and monitor positioning is crucial (can be tricky with some didges being so long - difficult to get the monitor positioned in the null point on small stages)

3. cdrjayb

cdrjayb Member

Thanks stratrat2000. I'll work more more on mic placement then. I do have the HPF active but will adjust more. The monitor placement is probably the key here. I'm hoping the smaller EV 8's will give me a lot more options with positioning due to their small size. Gigging Sunday so will test it out. Thanks again.

4. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Mic on foam, on the floor? That’s not going to work. Get a clip on condenser and get the mic up nearly inside the didgeridoo

6. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Closer is better IME, although that's primarily been in the studio. A gate would be really handy if he spends a lot of time singing instead of blowing.

7. cdrjayb

cdrjayb Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I tried out some suggestions over the weekend with a fair bit of success. The new monitors helped a fair bit. The mic stand rather than the floor also improved things. I had the mic about 6" from the end of the didge but will try closer next weekend. ( I had assumed too close wasn't ideal but I may be confusing recording technique with live application.)

The HPF had the most impact but I still need to play around with the setting to get a nice balance between tone and feedback.

I discovered the mic wasn't what I was assuming (the didge player sets himself up). I thought he had a 58 but it turns out to be a budget end Shure....a 48 from memory. I'll give a 58 a go next weekend and see if that has the magic.

Thanks again.