Diezel Einstein CH2 Clips

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by tonefreak, Jan 26, 2006.

1. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

2. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

the rhythm tones were thicker than thick and i really liked them.

wasnt too fussed on the lead tone.

3. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I agree... I should have turned the gain down on that solo, no my favorite tone at all. I wanted to keep all the controls the same just for demo purposes.

CH1 in Mega Mode has my favorite lead tone... stay tuned!

4. rockstah

rockstah Member

the rhythm tones kick major a*s :)

5. ivan275

ivan275 Member

Of course, I know it has great tone, because I own an Einstein (though it is currently for sale due to other needs... but every day it doesn't sell is another day I get to enjoy this great amp!!!).

Anyway, tonefreak, I was wondering about your recording setup. Do you mic a cab; run through a hotplate; use another loadbox like a Palmer PGA-04, ...?

I'm needing to start recording and since yours seem to turn out so well, I was wondering on your setup.

Thanks for the info.

Ivan

6. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Ivan- Sorry to hear you have to sell the Eistein...

You know a lot of people ask me about my recording set-up. And then when they find out how I do it, it's like all of a sudden not good enough and I get slammed. But here goes again...

I'll start off by saying that I've tried just about every load box/speaker simulator on the market. Palmer, Motherload, Redbox, and Cabtone seem to be the ones people like, and I've had them all. I've also tried ISO boxes and ISO cabinets... they work much better than the speaker sims, but I have to tame the volume or I'm gonna get all this LFOs bouncing around in the box.

This is what works best for me and is by far the best tone I've been able to get for silent recording. Of course a great live room and a mic'd cab is the best, but I don't have the money or time to spend on studio time.

Amp > THD Hotplate (set to load box) > Line Output > PODxt (STUDIO mode with amp sims turned OFF) > various PODxt speaker models > MBOX

Usually I get the following responses in no particular order:

1) "Oh yeah... I could totally tell you were using that tone sucking POD"
    2) "I thought I heard the POD in there... you can never beat the tone from a mic'd amp."
    3) "I think the Palmer (or other amp sim) is better because blah, blah, blah..."
    4) "I've tried PODs before and they suck live."
    5) "Have you tried Guitar Rig 2, I hear the amp sims are better."

This is not my invention, I actually got the idea from some recording engineers and it worked better than any else I have tried short of going into a studio.

There is no set-up time... all I do is turn on the power conditioner and boot up my computer, and I'm ready to record. No fuss, no muss. AND I can record at 1:00 am if I wanted to!!

IMO, this is the best recorded tone I have ever achieved and I'm very happy with my set-up.

8. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Thanks so much! Creating clips are very time consuming, but I want to spread the goodness of the Einstein, so it's worth it!

9. ivan275

ivan275 Member

Cool recording setup. I, fortunately, have all of the tools necessary to try your setup, except the THD Hotplate. I'll try my Palmer PGA-04's line out into the PodXT Pro and see how it works!

Thanks for sharing.

Ivan

10. hipfan

hipfan Member

Agreed on the great rhythm tones. The first clip surprisingly sounded very similar to the tone used in Son Volt's "Route". I say surprising because they certainly aren't what I would call a "Diezel-type" band. They probably used a cranked Magnatone or old Tweed to get a very similar tone.

11. scottl

scottl Member

Nice! Excellent tones Dereck!

Scott

12. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Thanks!

I would like to point out that although the Diezel amps in the past do lend themselves to a more modern metal and the like, the Einstein is very different.

I'll post some more clips and hopefully that will illustrate my point!

13. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Thanks for listening! Means a lot!

Pleeaasee don't laugh too hard when I post my attempts at a more jazzier tone! Just trying to play in the genre that the tone, hopefully, dictates to demonstrate the Einstein's versatility!

14. ivan275

ivan275 Member

tonefreak,

Have you tried the line out on the back of the Einstein into your PodXT recording setup? Does it work well, or do you prefer the line out from the THD Hotplate?

Thanks again for great info!

Ivan