diezel or orange 4x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sabbath90, Sep 10, 2005.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i'm trying to decide on a cab for my jcm800 2203. the 2 leaders are an orange and a diezel front loaded cab. i like V30's and both cabs have them. i need something with a big thick midrange that doesn't fart out. my marshall cab just can't handle the KT88's in my jcm. i'm just slightly slightly leaning toward the orange cause it looks really cool. thanks.

2. ppants

ppants Guest

GET the diezel
    the orange is just a mojo tone product. orange dont make thier own cabs and basically just copied what you already have and say cant handle the tone. Your getting the same cab you already basically have but ina different color.

The real reason why your 412 cant handle the tone is, probly no 412 could and deliver it tightly and the way your hearing it in your head.
    412's produce way to much spl, your discussing mids, mids are the loudest part of guitar tone to the human ear, just ask james hetfield, he will even tell you that. highs are the most harsh mids are the loudest

You actualy would be better off with a 212 or 2 212's more separation, tightness (cause the cab can handle the spls from 2 speakers)

412's are too skinny to handle a lot of mids at high volume levels.
    it shakes and womps the cab, because the speaker mags basically lay right above the back panel of a 412 cab, there is no room for all that spl to go, so it just shakes the crap out of the cab, add that with the phase cancellation from 4 speakers, and there in lies the root of your problem.

Take out 2 of your 4 speakers, then jam that cab, you will start to see what i mean.
    It may even sound louder to you with 2 less speakers.

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

Neither. Get a Bogner 4X12. The come loaded with v30s and go like butter with a JCM 800.

~thomas

4. ppants

ppants Guest

Id still look into some 212's, and all the vin 30's are chinese now.
    Because of your want to project some sweet mids, loud, clear and fast without feedback, your really wanting to look at somthing besides vin 30's they are flatter in the mids, when you boost the mids on your amp to compensate, you will have mass feedback.

5. ppants

ppants Guest

Big country sounds like he has done this, which I have not, and Big is right, Bogner makes some killer stuff,
    Do you guys prefer front loaded over rear loaded cabs, I do.

Thanks guys
    have a great sunday!
    tim

6. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

ppants,

I'm a little taken aback by your statement about the Orange 4x12. I have had mine for around 3-4 years now and the construction appears quite different to the Marshall style cabs. Care to reveal where this information came from? I can only think this might make sense for the US market, but the thought of getting a 4x12 built in the US, then sent to be put on sale in the UK and then sent to me in Germany seems strange. FWIW I also have a Mojo built Germino 4x12 and there are quite a few differences to that too.

Anyhow, the Orange cab delivers some tight bass and I've never had problems with it not handling the low end. Whilst I play at more classic rock type of gain I've had people use 100W plexis and Mesa Rectifier rigs thru it at gigs and it held together great.

Not sure I'd call the V30 a "flatter in the mids" speaker either, so perhaos we'll agree toi disagree... :)

No experience of the Diezel ot Bogner to compare it too.

Chris

7. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

orange isn't great, diezel is gay, get a harry joyce 4x12.

8. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i always thought that V30 was quite a mid heavy speaker.

the reason i mentioned diezel is because i was in a music store once and i tried a VH4 through a marshall then a mesa and then a diezel 4x12 and the diezel was the only one that didn't fart out.

i've heard a lot of really great things about the orange cab from some people so i thought i'd mention that. plus, who doesn't think orange cabs look cool?

bogner is another option. i'll have to try to see if i can try one out.

9. RSRD

RSRD Member

Take the JCM into the store and run it thru the same cabs and see what you get. The 800 and the V4 are very different amps. V30s are very mid heavy speakers and they sound really good thru the bogner cabs. The Marshall jcm 800 is a very mid oriented head too. Having never tried a diezel cab I couldn't comment. I would assume they are a bit more on the low mids. Orange cabs don't seem to be able to handle heavier ODs in my experience with them.

Good luck. let us know what you end up with.

~t

10. ppants

ppants Guest

yea, i looked at them at the namm show this summer.
    Quite extensively, if yours is 3-4 years old then you have somthing differnt than what I looked at. This was orange usa, sorry, I assumed thats what he was looking at.

Also, mojo will build it however you tell them to, so the fact that there are differences doesnt suprise me.

I always thought the vin30 was a top end oriented speaker
    and flatter in the mids, not as flat as the g12t but.......

nothing sounds the same to 2 different people.

yes, please let us know what you find!
    thanks

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i just went to the bogner site and those cabs look very very nice. i've talked to some more people who all love the cab. i believe bogner has won.

12. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

hmmm...now for another tought choice. slant or straight front? what do you guys think?

13. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I have a Bogner 4x12. Probably the best cab I've ever heard for a variety of reasons. Slant front works great for me. And something about that sillouette with my SuperFly on top is killer. And it does roar.

One more point. For a closed back cab, it has great lateral projection. I found with most heavy duty cabs that they 'throw' directly in front of the cab (killing any small mammals in it's path). The Bogner makes it sound much more like your tone is 'everywhere' in the room. (Some would call that 3D.)

I'm getting rid of mine tho. The only drawback (which is true with ANY of these) is that it's just too damn heavy to tote around all the time. I'm going with the 2 2x12 configuration, so I can have the 4x12 if needed, but go minimal depending on the venue. Back saver.

Sorry about the meandering talk there.

EP

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Check the new THD 4x12s - killer!