Diezel VH4 - What a monster!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by philster, Dec 12, 2005.

1. philster

philster Member

Recently bought a used VH4 from the forum's "sixkids"( who was great to deal with BTW).
    I have played nearly exclusively NMV amps for many years, and still own 7 of them, but my bands repertoire was making it tougher to get all the tones I need shuffling stomp boxes around. I have bought and tried some good channel switchers before but was always disappointerd. The Ecstacy was nice but I just could not live with the anemic cleans. Last yeat I owned a Herbert which just never spoke to me. Cool amp, but just a tad sterile for my ears, and the clean was not as good as I had hoped.

Enter the VH4. I had modest expectations due to my prior experiences, but this amp is great! The cleans sound and FEEL like a pretty nice Fender, way better to my ears than the Herbert's. This amp is supposed to sound stiff and kind of HiFi, but not to my ears. It sounds organic, thick, and juicy. So far I have only played it with the 6L6's that the amp came with, which supposedly are not nearly as preffered as the current stock Ruby EL34 BSTR's.

The amp is easy to operate, easy to dial in and the effects loops really work well. So far, I am very impressed. :BEER

2. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

I too am a single channel vintage guy. I almost bought that VH4 you have! Great deal on it. I ended up with a Herbert 2.5 that just rips.

I know tubes, but even I confused the TAD EL34's for 6l6's. They are HUGE!!
    Are you sure yours has 6l6's?

S.

3. philster

philster Member

Yes, I am positive they are 6L6's. Mesa branded 6L6GT to be exact. Apparently 6L6's were the stock tubes back in'01 when this amp was built. I had a mix of 6L6 and EL34 in my former Herbert. Perhaps I should have tried all EL34's.

Enjoy your amp!

4. steve10358

So, how do you like yours after a month? How much more can you compare it to the herbert?

S.

5. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I'm mostly a single channel vintage guy myself. First time I heard a VH4 I was in heaven. I still don't like the looks, but WOW every channel on that thing I love. The first time I heard it was at Atlanta Discount Music in Atlanta when they were just getting them in, a "heartbreaker" solo through a Les Paul later I was hooked. Glad you love yours.

6. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Member

I'm suprised to hear the VH4 has better cleans than the Herbert, using Fender as a reference for what is a good clean....

Is that a fluke experience, or would most other people agree who have played both amps, and who value a good fender clean....?

7. steve10358

I wish I could compare the two. Maybe someday. The Herbert I have is unreal on the cleans. I love it. The notes swell and it is quite versatile.

8. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I run my VH4S with Ruby EL34STRs and the chinese preamp tubes Uwe recommended. I'd like to try it with 12AX7WBs at some point and maybe try 6L6s or KT66s but I really like EL34s. I like the VH4 more then the Herbert as well but that's just me. I really like channel 2 and 3 and while I could get similar tones out of the herbert I played, they weren't footswitchable. So you want to trade your mono version for a stereo version?? ;)

9. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I would LOVE one of these amps, I just can't get myself to pony up the nut for it...

Someday!

Now, how about some clips?

EP

10. crabby

crabby Member

how does the diezel vh4 sound side by side a framus cobra?i own a cobra,it rips ch 2,switch up,and the clean is very warm.i played a diezel but it was brief at a store and i was focused on the gsystem running thru it.now i cant remember what it was like,i just remember hearing the 2 or 3 chords and saying wow!!!!

11. sixkids

sixkids Gold Supporting Member

Hey Philster,

That's fantastic news to hear that you're diggin' the VH4. Whenever I sell an amp, I'm always worried that the buyer won't like it, and then be pissed at me. Enjoy, and play in good health.

Happy New Year !!

All The Best !!
    Tom

12. philster

philster Member

Happy new years to you Tom! I am digging the amp.

I have not changed the power tubes yet from the 6L6's, mostly because I think they sound good, secondly because I want to become very familiar with this power tube in this amp. I am waiting for a quartet of the new JJ KT77's to try in the amp.

One thing that amazes me is how hugely sensitive this amp is to preamp tube changes. I tried a couple of NOS 12AX7's in v1, and what I thought was one of my beat up old Bugle Boy 12ax7's, sounds AMAZING in this amp. In fact, a massive improvement over the chinese. Go figure.

13. hexum68

hexum68 Member

Best amp i ever played...but got a orage rv50 for 1/3 the price...tubes died today...new years day. I am off to a great 2006..?/