Differance between an 101b & Top hat Emplexodor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Sharkey, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Can anyone who has owned or played both compair the two for me. The 101b is my current giging amp but I have the Emplexador on the way. Will my Bogner get bumped?:D I can't wait too see. What do you guys think?

:JAM

2. lv

lv Supporting Member

101b has more gain, more compressed, and darker/creamier. Emplex is more open, better clean, less gain. They both do some modded Marshall type sounds. I love the versatility of the Emplex, but the Bogner's blue channel is a thing of beauty.

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

well, the bogner is a 3-channel amp, the emplex is a single channel amp. so it's hard to really compare the two. but the comaprison that will probably be the most worthwhile is the medium gain channel of the bog to the emplex set up for grind.

let us know what you think!

4. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

You better pack your 101b.

5. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

"well, the bogner is a 3-channel amp, the emplex is a single channel amp. so it's hard to really compare the two. but the comaprison that will probably be the most worthwhile is the medium gain channel of the bog to the emplex set up for grind.

let us know what you think!"

Yea you are right about the compairison but I find myself useing the bogner like a one trick pony alot:D I'll get in that blue channel with my volume knob and its like Lou V said MAGIC Baby :dude

So its really 101B Blue chan against Emplex.
    This Shall be fun :D

6. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

:D Spoken like someone who knows

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Let the Games begin!! :D :dude

8. Killcrop

I've owned both. Different amps but the Tophat will sound more organic and will probably make the Bogner sound like a jar of bees. The Tophat will sound better clean and will have a better Plexi tone. The high gain lead tones on the TH are about as cool as it gets. Yeah the XYC has the Blue channel but it's not that great. The XTC I found hard to dial in. The Classic was way easier but the 101B is a dud IMO. It doesn't do cleans very well, there are way better amps for high gain and it's Blue channel isn't even as good as the Shiva's OD.
    Plus it's like 2 times the price of the TH.

Better pack your 101b

9. Killcrop

I forgot to mention. When the Tophat's volume hits like 6 to 7 it totally comes unglued. Like an old marshall it unleashes holy hell. Oh that glorious power tube OD!

Have I mentioned you should pack the 101b?

10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Member

Ya, I had an Ecstacy, sold it, and I have had for years and will not sell my Emplex... it is a great sounding amp... especially with a Mullard, a Bugle Boy, and an RFT in the pre and 2 Mullard 34's pumping in the power section!

11. Sharkey

Sharkey Member

Hi Dave,
    From what you say I can't wait too test drive the Emplexador in the band context. :dude I was able too hear it at the N.C. Tonefest but how will it sound on me:D Thanks for your post

12. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

:eek: :D :(

I was with you until you said that....I sold my shiva because of the Shiva OD...and I still love playing a 101B every chance I can get...

13. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I can't comment to greatly becuase I have not played any of the Bogners. However, I have an Emplexidor and am just carried away with it. I expected fine Marshall tone, and it's there. But, I had not realized the cleans would be so nice as well. They are huge sounding. Big, full, rich. It's a great amp.

14. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

When you guys talk about the great cleans of this amp..is it when you dial the gain down for cleans...thereby giving up the gain....or is it when you have it set for gain, but roll back the guitar volume?

15. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I was thinking of when the amp is set clean, whcih does sacrifice the gain. That's when it gives up its best clean tone. It does clean up when the volume is rolled off, though, at least in vintage mode. Not so much in modern mode.

16. bikerdude2

bikerdude2 Member

I agree 100%. The Emplexador didn't have enough gain for my taste. The Blue channel? Priceless!:dude

17. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

For a brief period, I owned Lou V's Ecstasy and must say that it was an awesome amp. I have had plenty of 101Bs but his was a step above and I wishI still had it.The Blue channel is very cool.

18. lv

lv Supporting Member

True amp whore always like to pass their women around a bit. :)