Difference between a Roadhouse Eternity & the new black smd E?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Sorry, I'm sure this was done to death but one of the few threads that turned up in a search was 36 pages long (and locked). I just don't have the stomach for that (or time). Since the RH seems to be a thing of history I thought I'd ask for an explanation & comparison. I'm just looking for a simple answer.

I just got a new back smd E and it sounds kinda thin to me. Was hoping for some of the bottom-end that I've grown use to with the COT50 Blue I've been obsessively playing for several weeks now. I will say it's that the E is the smoothest TS derivative pedal I've ever played - actually smoothest overall.

(I know all about the Kanji that's "back." Just want to know which E has the most low end and warmth, I guess.)

2. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

There was a YouTube vid somewhere that compared the two.

3. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Bump for more info.

4. cber1517

cber1517 Member

I had the Silver SMD Eternity and I agree it was very smooth but lacked in low end umph. I suppose that's what a TS-type pedal does however. The Kanji is supposed to be a warmer sounding OD with more low end. Listen to the clips on www.proguitarshop.com to compare the different versions.

:BEER

5. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I watched the videos. Their ODs all start sounding the same to me through that 65 Soho so it's hard to be objective. It's never as good as having the pedal in front of you and plugged in. I called ProGuitarShop and the person I spoke to said the difference between the Kanji & regular E wasn't great enough if I didn't like the lack of low end in general in pedals.

6. Geetar_Will

Geetar_Will Supporting Member

7. tkroeger

tkroeger Member

I like my new Black E smd with the carbon battery it shipped with. Kindof brittle/harsh with my external 9v.

Diggin it with the battery.

Anyone else find the same results?

8. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Mine doesn't have a battery or it's dead. Have to open it up.

Now I'm considering a chip replacement to see if I can get more low end from the E. Sean suggested the LM1458 for more low end in an email.

9. stratmaniac

stratmaniac Member

The 1458 helped in my Roadhouse E and in my Blues Pro, but there's still some bass cut to my ears, just not as much.

10. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Has anyone tried the Burr Brown OPA2604 in an E?