difference between american 62 reissue and the custom shop models

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by joolzriff, Feb 20, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

sometime this yr i would like to buy a 62 strat,as usuall i'm doing the browsing and i am pretty fixed on a 62 reissue but i also see the 60's reissue custom shop model.
    as good as the custom shop models look -and i dont mind paying for the ''rest of my life strat''..........is there a big difference inbetween the 2 apart from $1100?
    cheers
    j

2. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

I've owned American 62 RIs that were great and I've had CS strats that needed multiple neck swaps due to warping. I'm pretty sure that the main difference is the finish (I think only the CS and EJ strats use nitro) but play a few and see what you think. Hendrix's strats were lathered in poly goo and he sounded pretty good--mine's got nitro but I would be willing to bet not many cork sniffers could tell the difference tone wise side by side.

3. Rama

Rama Member

To put it all in perspective...I just bought a mexican strat that kills my others...EJ and 60 Closet classic included...!

Strats are very much individuals.;)

4. Rich

Rich Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely true that each individual guitar is, well, individual. And you can get good ones and bad ones whether MIA, MIM, or CS.

But my experience with Strats is that the CS models do get the edge in terms of wood selection, tone, playability and fit & finish. They just seem to have more of the "it" factor.

Are they worth twice as much as an MIA? Uhhh, you gotta decide for yourself. But if you were considering buying a new MIA and could get a used CS for not much more, Id opt for the CS every time.

5. kiergtr

kiergtr Member

I echo the previous response. While,clearly, come custom shop guitars are better than others, generally speaking, they are much closer in sound to original strats. The tone woods, fit, and finish are better. The key is to find one that really speaks to you.

6. EBGB

EBGB Member

I like my 62RI better than any custom shop I've tried. I find the 60s CS pingy sounding and the fingerboard looks bleached. The regular 62RI IS a nitro finish over some kind of undercoat. As to being truer to the originals, the CS use of heavy birdseye or flame maple does not look like any original strat I've seen. Soundwise, the 57/62 pus on the 62RI are quite nice low-output vintagy pus. I do agree that it takes some searching to find the right one.

7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

There are dogs & gems in the whole Fender line. The right Custom Shop Strat is probably worth the difference but the wrong one isn't. Custom Shop or not, you just have to play a bunch to find "the one". Having said that, after trying all of the above, I'm still very impressed with my MIM Jimmie Vaughan Strat....excellent bang for the buck Strat, and I even prefer rosewood fretboards :AOK .

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I own an AV line strat, the '57 model and I find the quality to be really good. I've played some AV series strats and all have been pretty good.. Played couple of CS strats too, and generally they have had a somehow superior feeling to them, don't know why. If they're worth that much more is another question, but that's with everything. Classic series vs. AV series and so on. The law of diminished returns applies to this very well..

If I ever get the money I might buy a CS strat, possibly the '60 model, 'cause I already have a maple neck strat. (And the Nocasters really give be painful GAS)

Couple of things that worry me about CS strats/Fenders in general. As said earlier, the birdseye/heavy flamed neck is not at all period correct. In fact I think in some cases the heavy flame and especially birdseye looks extremely cheesy & tacky. IMO ofcourse. I just think that Fenders are pretty crude (just the way I like it) instruments and those "luxury" features quite don't fit in to the picture. And I think it's actually pretty stupid to have these replica guitars of certain years with such features that are distinctively not like the originals.

The other thing that worries me with the CS Fenders is what if I want to change the pickups or do some other modifications.. I really wouldnt want to de-value such an expensive instrument.

9. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

"...the CS use of heavy birdseye or flame maple..."

Not anymore (mostly). All of the Time Machine Custom Shop models I have seen over the last few years have had very plain looking maple necks. A few models still have the figured maple, like the Dick Dale Strat (discontinued as of this year) which is just a*w*e*s*o*m*e.

10. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

My `92 Am 62 RI just got a neck swap to a WD SRV spec with 12`` radius. Transformed an already great guitar to an outstanding one. Plays like butter, and sustain has been improved with the extra beef. Tone seems a tad more woody, and, well Strat-like to my ears. I`ve owned this guitar for 7 years now, and it has officially become a keeper. It was almost gone at one point. Never go back to 7.25 `` again.

CT.

[​IMG]