Difference between clean boost/treble boost, etc.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stevel, May 2, 2008.

1. stevel

stevel Member

What's the difference between a clean boost and a treble booster?

In what situations (or why) are each used?

TIA
    Steve

2. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Clean boost is flat EQ and simply raises amplitude of signal. Treble boost shifts higher frequencies a bit more than lower frequencies. In practice, treble boost more like an upper-mid boost and it tends to be low-fi and crunchy. It sounds reallyrealy great into already breaking up Marshalls and Vox amps, but not so good into Fenders especially those with bright caps (though some tweeds work well, too).

Yes?

DS

3. loudstuff

loudstuff Member

That's perfect. The one thing I would add is that since treble boosters push high frequencies more, it can sound like higher notes are actually overdriving the amp more. This can be really nice for solo breaks.

4. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Yes. And overdriven bass notes sound flubby and stuff. Not that that is always bad! But, sounds crappy...sometimes crappy good! I usually like tight bottoms (!) and a brighter top end (!!) so treble boost nice.

DS

5. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

I find the term "treble booster" to be misleading. It doesn't boost just the treble.

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

My thought on the treble booster is that its basically a 1 transistor low gain fuzz effect with an emphasis on treble frequencies. By messing with the filter part of the circuit you can make it full frequency. Infact I believe several boutique treble boosters have a switch to go from vintage (treble) to modern (full frequency).

7. Dave

Dave Member

What really sets treble boosters apart from your basic clean boost is the responsiveness of that little germanium transistor. With your guitar's volume wide open (and driving a tube amp set on the edge of breakup) you get a very full, mid-heavy sound with lots of sustain. Roll the guitar's volume down to about 9.5 and the low end tightens up like magic. Roll the volume down a little more and it cleans up and gets a little brighter.

If transparency is important then a clean boost is the way to go, but a good treble booster is so much more dynamic and just a lot of fun to use IMO.

8. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Just reviving this thread.. when listening to old Michael Shenker I hear what sounds like really crunchy upper mids and treb. I know he didn't just play that wah on the rythms because it isn't nasaly until he busts into the leads. I have found that my Marshalls sound great but with the plexi being bassier and the JCM800 almost getting there, they still don't touch his sound. It just cuts soo well . I am finding more and more that my guitar can get a little lost in the mix if i want that raw rockin tone. Can you guys suggest good affordable treb boosters under 100$? I was thinking that BBE frequency boost looked and sounded pretty good. Ultimately panning a treb boosted tone left and one without to the right could be sweet and give that appetite for destruction magic that Izzy and Slash had. Izzy's tone is warmer and thicker and they balance each other perfectly when you throw that thick bass and drums up the center. So which ones are good? GGG kits? second hand etc..

thanks

9. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

Hi. If you have an old Marshall, try a treble booster. I play a Phoenix Custom Ranger. It is very good, and not much more than 100. For under 100, I can think of the BYOC kit only.

10. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

Don't forget my favorite kind of boost: the dirty boost! My favorite is the Tone Factor 75 Special, but there are bunch out there. They work like a clean boost, but add a bit of grit around the edges. I use them instead of ODs.

11. Dave

Dave Member

There's a HBE Germania on eBay right now for $65. I've never tried one, but it gets good reviews.

+1 The Ranger is great and only $130.

12. charmboy

charmboy Member

BYOC Tri-Boost has a treble boost, full range boost, and clean boost all in one for $94. You can get all and more within your price range!

13. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Member

That's a good point. A lot of people swear by the Tri-Boost.

14. stevel

stevel Member

Ok, I'm still not clear on what a Treble Boost does - or rather, is used for - or maybe, what I'm really asking, is what affect it has on the sound.

If you use a clean boost, it supposedly boosts evenly across the spectrum correct? I would think this would cause the boosted sound to be bass heavy since it seems the low frequencies become more overwhelming the louder the decibel level.

Does a treble booster just boost everything from X frequency up? That way, it doesn't boost the bass and become to muddy?

My problem is, I don't really like "fizzy" "sizzly" "scratchy" or "crackly", etc. overdrive/distortion. It seems to me a lot of those fizzies are in the high frequencies, and boosting them would only compound the problem.

Can anyone point to any clips (audio or video) comparing the two? Meanwhile, I'll check Youtube because I've actually found some pedal comparisons there.

Thanks,
    Steve

15. amz-fx

amz-fx Supporting Member

A clean boost typically gives equal gain increase to all frequencies.

A treble boost gives more gain to highs than to lows. This sounds good with some amps but thin with others... the whole rig has an impact on the sound.

regards, Jack