Difference between Fulltone Clyde

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mike G., Apr 8, 2008.

1. Mike G.

Mike G. Member

Has anyone had the chance to try the Fulltone Clyde standard and the Clyde deluxe side by side? I am going to retire my Thomas organ cry baby that I have had since '69 or '70, and want to get a new pedal. Any suggestions as to which one to get? Thanks!

2. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I have and for me the Jimi setting is sound I look for ,so the standard is fine for me.

3. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

If you are getting a Fulltone, I prefer the standard to the deluxe. But IMHO, both are a little too "hi-fi" in the wrong kind of way. They capture some of the vintage vibe and tone, but fall short to my ears. I would look elsewhere. But the standard sounds better than the deluxe.

4. Mike G.

Mike G. Member

Thanks for the feedback. The crybaby I have has a very warm tone to it which I am looking for with just a little more sweep to it. Kinda like Jimi's watchtower or anything off of electric ladyland. Along with the clyde standard which other pedals would have both features. Thanks.

5. Telephant

Telephant Member

I completely agree.

6. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The Clyde does everything well, but nothing exceptional. That said, I still own one. It's a really GOOD wah, and it's my number 2 wah.

7. 12345678

12345678 Senior Member

I hope that by saying I'mnot crazy about the Fulltone wah that my post or this thread isn't removed. A few days ago a similar thread was started about Teese wahs and I stated that I had gotten a bad one and that the Teese guy didn't really want to help me.

My post was removed!

I mean, I want the buyer to beware when the buyer asks me if he needs to beware! And I would like someone to tell me the same!

The Fulltone is a great wah and Mike Fuller is a super cool guy. I bought a Clyde when they first got really popular but before Fulltone was as known as it is today,and back then, I talked to Mike Fuller on the phone several times and he was super nice and super knowledgable about wahs and what he was doing.

It's not MY cup of tea, but it is a very nice and well made wah. Head and shoulders over most things out there.

You should contact George Blekas at www.pedalworx.com He modded a crybaby classic for me and it became my number 1 wah. He'll do whatever you want.

8. seajay

seajay Member

I've never used the deluxe but I love the regular Clyde.

I can kind of see the "hi-fi" that folks are talking about as it is a very smooth wah. It doesn't really get "pukey" sounding like other wahs can. There is an internal trimmer that may make it sound nastier. I don't know as I've only left it at the factory setting.

The sweep seems very even over the pedal travel. It's not abrupt like other wahs can be. Also I like the custom housing because it has more physical travel than the regular Crybaby cases. I also really like how the treadle tension can be so easily adjusted from the outside; this really helps to get the right feel of the pedal.

9. Brownface

Brownface Member

I have the same Crybaby I've had for years, and wanted mine to do the same thing you're talking about. I adjusted the travel on the pot to go a little further down. Did the trick for me. You can absolutely nail Watchtower by doing so. You'll add a lot more hi's to your wah. Too much if you don't watch it. I can't remember exactly how I did it. Did it about 15 years ago. It's really simple if you break it open and look at it. It has to be, or I couldn't have done it.

10. Mike G.

Mike G. Member

Lots of good information! I didn't know I could adjust the travel.....all these years of playing and wishing for a little more travel and I could could have had it. I learn everyday!
    Amphead, what is your #1 wah?
    Thanks to you guys I am going to do what I should be doing anyway and that is to go out and acually play the different pedals. The Clyde may be the one. I first thought about this one because I purchased a Fulltone TTE off of this board and found it to be the best delay I have ever owned. I have a AD80 which I haven't used since I bought this.
    Thank you all for your great feedback, and taking the time to reply. mike