Difference between super reverb and twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jamon, Dec 25, 2009.

1. jamon

jamon Member

Besides speaker size and wattage, is there any tonal difference? Ive played through a super and its awesome, I was wondering if it is generally more bright than a twin, or darker. And also if there are any 10'' speakers for the super that would make the sound less bright.

2. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Member

The amps are not even close to being the same.
    Scooped mids & piercing treble are shared attributes.
    There are lots of 10's that will give more bottom & less harsh treble.
    I'd rather have a Tweed Bassman than either amp.

JJ:hide

3. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

A super feels very different. Due to speaker size, tube rectifier, other factors. They're similar only in the clean voicing IMO. Recognizable scooped kind of clean. And in how the reverb sounds. Not much the same otherwise.

4. jamon

jamon Member

anyone else?

5. devbro

devbro Member

I own a 67 Super and a 67 Twin and must say I prefer the Super because I can get it to break up on its own. My Twin has a pair of JBL D120F and it has amazing cleans with masive headroom. They are very different animals.

6. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

A friend just built a Tweed Bassman w/ 2 Eminince Patriots and two Rajin Cajun 10's, and I think it's one of the best 10" speaker mix and match sets I've ever heard.

Super's have a 2 ohm output transformer, the only BF Fender with that config. I can't explain it, but somehow Super Reverbs feel slightly different from ALL other BF Fender amps, to me. The differences are subtle, but to me, a BFSR is it's own thing - it doesn't really sound, or more importantly, it doesn't FEEL like any other BF Fenders.

Merry Christmas, Dana O.

7. Marble

Marble Member

Well late '60s-early '70s Supers and Vibroluxes seem to share common attributes, at least to my ears...the Vibrolux is just quieter. Not BF, but not far from it...

Twins are super loud clean machines commonly used for taking pedals. Super Reverbs are dirty beasts that are loud, but have a wonderful distortion at their loud levels. Using standard configurations, Super Reverbs will be clean until you pass 5. 5 is where things start getting kinda loud though. That's probably about 2-3 on a Twin.

Super Reverbs are used in alot of different ways by alot of different players. Some people take the 1st preamp tube out of it, some people replace the tube rectifer with a SS plug-in, some put a 5751 as their first gain stage tube...alot of variations on how they can sound.

At a blues all-star act I was a part of, there were 3 Super Reverbs, 2 Bassmans, a Twin and locally made boutique amp (Dynamic amp). One guy had a '66 Super at 6 with decent overdrive, and my guitar foil had his '71 Super at 3 getting a suprising amount crunch. The 3rd was for harmonica and was pretty clean. We all had moderate stage volumes with all the instruments on stage. You can really tailor your amp to make it work for you, within its limits.

8. jamon

jamon Member

Well a twin seems too heavy, and has too much headroom. I do not need 80 watts. The super at 6 for me is a perfect volume for our band. If only it could get cleans at 6 and not 7 break up until 8 or 9, that would be what I am looking for. I am searching for speakers and tubes that are very late to break up. Is this possible, because if I get a super I will be switching the speakers anyway, they tend to blow out fast.

9. Marble

Marble Member

get more efficient speakers, maybe the Weber Signature 10S. The S ones breakup later than the non-s models. Keep the Normal channel tube in there (one I mentioned to take out) and put a 5751 tube in the 2nd tube slot.

And the Supers' speakers don't really tend to blow out faster than others that I've heard. They might be pretty good ones if you're buying an old one.

10. Ed G.

Ed G. Senior Member

A Super Reverb with Eminence Ragin Cajuns in it kind of crosses into Twin territory, if you need more clean headroom from the amp. Those speakers are the bomb in those amps. Really big, tight bottom end and the speaker is efficient, meaning loud.
    I just stuck one of those speakers in my Rivera-era Super Champ and it made a hell of a difference.
    There's some other simple mods to make the Super Reverb cleaner and tighter.