Difference Gibson Les Paul "Authentic Reissue" vs. "VOS"

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by born_hard, Jun 28, 2008.

1. born_hard

born_hard Member

Hello,

i want to buy a good Gibson 1960 Les Paul Custom Shop (ok not the Murrhy Aged ones cause too expensive).
    I have a chance too get this one (Custom Shop Authentic Reissue 1960) for around 3000$:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230264727131&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013

This is an R0, am i right?

Obviously this is from 2002, before Gibson started the VOS line.
    Do you think this is a good guitar? I want to compare it the new newer VOS guitars R0 or G0 (from Guitar Center).
    Or do you think i should get the VOS G0 or R0? I want to have the slim taper neck so the new Slash VOS could also be an option, even if slightly more expensive. I talk only used market!
    My main question is: Did the Custom Shop around year 2002 some good and quality replicas of the 1960? Whats your experience? Do you think the above guitar is a good buy? I dont need the technical explanation od an authentic vs VOS, only your opinion of the differnce in quality, feel of the Custom Shop Authentic Reissue around 2002 vs newer VOS models.
    Thanks
    Aron

2. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

I can't comment on the R0s, but I've a CA R6 from 2001 that is just a killer guitar and would put it up against anything similar coming out today. Mine was my #1 for 4 years of road work and never disappointed me. The only way for you to answer this question is to compare them side by side, which may be next to impossible seeing as the guitar in question is an eBay auction.

I will say that the newer guitars are a wee bit more accurate in design than the models made before '03.

3. bugman

bugman Member

i had a 2007 vos 60 reissue from guitar center it was great was the faded tabacco tone was great but sold it because i like the 50s neck better and they can be had on ebay used on a little cheaper and dont have to buy from over seas

4. StJimmy

StJimmy Member

It's hard to tell exactly what it is from only one small photo of the frontside. Gibson did a run of Les Pauls called custom authentics around 2001-2002. The first ones had grovers, but then they reverted back to the regular keystone tip klusons. I've never seen an R0 custom authentic, though. The only ones I've seen were R8s and maybe they did a 68 custom authentic reissue, too. (although some folks call the Guitar Center G0s custom authentics, also, but that one in the auction is definitely not a G0.) Special European run, maybe? That one in the photo has reflectors though like one would expect on an R0. I'd want to see way better photos before I'd drop that much coin.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  5. born_hard

born_hard Member

6. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

I bought a 2001 R8 Custom Authentic a few weeks ago and it's a great guitar. In doing some research on the CA models I saw pics of several 1960 CA's on the Les Paul Forum, so I know they do exist. The Les Paul Custom Authentic models were introduced in 2001 and were lightly aged in the factory (broken-in finish, lightly aged hardware, Grovers, rolled edges on the fretboard, heavily ambered clear topcoat ). In 2002 the Grovers were replaced with Klusons.

The guitar for sale has Kluson's, not Grovers, which is consistent with a 2002 CA. However, the serial number format is the one used for the Historic Reissues, and not the CA's. The serial number is 0 2102, which is a Historic Reissue serial number. Most of the CA's used a six-digit serial number format. Based on this I think the guitar is probably a 2002 R0 Historic Reissue. The CA's commanded a higher price due to the factory aging. If this guitar was a CA the price is reasonable, but IMO it is a bit overpriced for a R0.

One way to verify if it is a Historic Reissue or a CA is to post the serial number of the guitar on the Forum on Gibson.com. The Admin can look the serial number up in the Custom Shop logs and give you a definitive answer.

FVB

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  7. mlongano

mlongano Member

I have a 2004 R9 Custom Authentic, and I have also owned various VOS models of Les Pauls. They are similar, although the VOS finish is pretty much removable if you're so inclined...the Custom Authentic finish seems to be more permanent.

Other than that they are both great guitars...no real difference in quality.

8. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

My CA uses the standard Historic LP serial number designations 6 1XXX and is a first run model from 2001 complete with Grover Rotomatics. It's identical to every other Historic R6 I've seen with the exception of the Grovers. The CA is an Historic reissue much in the way the Murphys are.

As for the permanance of the CA finish, it is removable just as the VOS gunk is removable. All I did was wipe the guitar down with some Virtuoso cleaner and - voila! - the smudges disappeared. Of course I've got my own aging on the guitar now from having the snot played out of it over the last 7 years.

9. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Mike,

I have two 2001 R8 CA's and one 2002 R8 CA and they all have the 6-digit serial numbers. I guess this is just another of Gibson's inconsistencies. With the 2001-2002 R8 CA models the only difference (at least with my guitars) other than the cosmetics is that the necks are pretty chunky compared to the three Historic Reissue R8's I have from the same years. Also, the CA's don't have the red dye bleed into the neck binding, which has happened with most of my Historics. I'll be at the Zoo Bar on Thursday so I'll bring one of my R8 CA's so you can check it out.

FVB

10. PeeWee

PeeWee Member

Interesting. I'm wondering if there were two different sets of specs for the GTs and the 'bursts? With Gibson you never can tell.

I'll be at the Zoo on Saturday the 5th. I think Scott Mattern will be subbing for Rusty this week at the jam, but I could be mistaken. I know that Bret had sent out a bulletin but I'm lucky to remember where the hell I'm going to be from one day to the next! LOL! If you're coming out Saturday, I'll bring the R6 along too - I was planning on bring just the 335 but it's been a little bit since the goldtop saw some action.