Difference in tone: Vox AC15C1 vs. Night Train

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RocknPop, Feb 6, 2012.

1. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

Hi guys, I'm considering upgrading my amp (lil night train) to either a
    Vox AC15C
    or
    Vox Night Train

And I wanted to see if there's anyone here who has had them both and can speak to their differences in tone. Can I use a pedal to switch channels in the AC15? Is there a huge difference? Should I spend the extra $100 to buy the AC15?

2. cratz2

cratz2 Member

They are pretty different. The two channels on the AC15C1 certainly are different. The Normal is relatively clean and is nice and chewy and barky. The Top Boost is brighter and more oriented towards gain though it can be run relatively clean as well.

The Night Train is all about gain in my opinion. Almost any amp CAN be used clean, but I don't think many folks get the Night Train for cleans. Sort of like the Orange Tiny Terror. Sure it can be used clean and sounds decent, but I'd suspect well under 10% of folks that buy either amp are buying it for any reason other than the gain tones.

3. RocknPop

Does this mean the AC15 is better for cleans?

4. Wayne Alexander

Wayne Alexander Supporting Member

The Night Train is derived to some extent from a Trainwreck Express, is a very touch-sensitive amp that gets WAY dirtier than an AC15. There is not much overlap with the sounds an AC15 will make. If you're after the clean and semidirty sounds that an AC15 or AC30 will make, a Night Train is not the amp for you. If you want dirtier than those, the Night Train is fine. It's vastly improved by putting NOS tubes in it, even more so than the AC15 or AC30 to my ears.

5. RocknPop

So I'd be playing a Les Paul Classic (hot ceramic pups), a PRS CE22, and a Gibson ES 335 through it. Which one in your opinion would be most versatile to accommodate for anything from pop (CE22) to blues/jazz (335) rock (Les Paul Classic)?

6. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Are you using pedals to either drive the amp or get gain from? What speaker will you be using? What volume will you be running the amp at?

I had both at separate times and cranked the master and brought the gain up to get just to get a clean with bite. I had no problems getting the cleans I wanted.

7. RocknPop

I don't use any pedals to drive it. I would use the Vox 1x12 cab, which I currently use with my Lil Night Train for it (I believe it has the 35W greenback).

This would be my gigging head as I have the Lil Night Train and I'm happy with it at house volume.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  8. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I used the night train into a birch cab loaded with a Weber Blue ceramic...punchy goodness and chime.

If weight is a factor then it may be better to have 20 or so pounds in each hand as opposed to 48 in one...

9. RocknPop

Good point but for some reason I have the impression that it's more of a hassle to have a head and a cab vs just a combo?

10. terrapin

terrapin Member

I, for one, use my Night Train for a clean, bright chimey platform for my pedals and I think it works GREAT! I did replace the 12ax7 in V1 with a NOS Jan/Phillips 5751 which made an amazing difference in the available headroom. I have all NOS tubes in the amp and run it through a 2X10 with a Scumback and a Dr. Z and love it.

I diagree that the NT is only useful for its dirt sounds..........

dlguitar64 likes this.
  11. RocknPop

I was hoping someone would say that... Thanks for the feedback.

12. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

As a former C1 owner and one time test-driver of an NT, they are not the same in general "voxy-ness" at all. The C1 is a great little amp. I don't think the NT is in the same league. The older Vox vibe can be found in the C1 and it's more flexible and has better options (reverb/trem/2 ch).

13. RocknPop

What do you mean?

14. terrapin

terrapin Member

I don't know about "leagues", but I do know the NT is a very useable, nice sounding amp and satisfies my Vox needs.

15. Dale

Dale Member

I have the AC15C1. I have tried the NT a couple times. The NT is not a Vox clean jangly thing to me really. If I were going to need clean, and wanted Vox it would be the AC15C1. If I was doing more classic rock type stuff only it would be the NT perhaps (I use tweeds really). The AC15C1 seems more versatile to me. But, it is heavy for a 1x12 combo. Also note that an A/B switcher can be used to move from Normal (set clean) to the second channel on the AC15C1 as well.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  16. cratz2

cratz2 Member

None of us can say which will be better for you or your needs, but if I'm after Vox tones, the AC15 is much better than the Night Train for that. If you want a clean platform, the AC15 will give you more clean headroom. When I think of jazz tones, I'd think the AC15 Normal channel would be the way to go.

In no way am I saying anything bad about the Night Train. Terrapin uses one and is happy with it. I'd consider that advice over those of us that haven't owned one. Having said that, the Night Train is not as ideally suited to someone that is looking for relatively clean Vox tones as the AC15 is.

17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I agree, I really liked my NT for it's clean ch and no so much the drive ch.

My old AC30CCH was a great amp though. For similar money I'd 100% get the AC30 but my local music shop canes Vox so damn badly that I'm concerned to get one again. I had a long talk to them yesterday and they basically said they are POS and will never stock them again.

So many returns because of terrible build quality that he even feels worried about flogging off his existing stock to his customers. He said they were fine for a while but moved to a cheaper manufacturer and things went downhill fast. I actually wanted another NT but was talked out of it...7 out of 8 returns and the 8th one has been repaired 3 times and now no longer works...they said they can't even be bothered getting it fixed as it's basically unsellable.

18. mtm105

mtm105 Senior Member

So eventhough a NT isn't classic classic VOX chime, it still delivers with a ROCK crunch in respect to Train Wreck tradition??

19. Monotremata

Monotremata Member

Just to add.. The AC15C1 doesn't have much clean headroom. Its not 'high gain' or anything but I bet your Les Paul and 335 will make it hit that nice crunchy Zepp-ish rock tone pretty early on..

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

20. Rayzaa

Rayzaa Member

The Night Train has more versatility with better gains while the AC doesn't have an actual gain switch. I think the cleans sound about the same to me imo.The AC 15 has tremelo while the NT does not. Otherwise they use the same tubes and speaker in both. For me, I think I'd get the NT. Ive only played the NT G2 but I think it is the same as the original NT, just looks different?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016