• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Differences b/w Grosh Set-neck and Les Paul?

Force Ten

I've never played a Set-neck, but I was wondering how they sound compared to a Les Paul (Gibson)? I mean, I can see the physical differences, but how are they different tonally?

Thanks.

hodad

My '96 R0 & Set Neck #108:

They are very much in the same ballpark tonally. Of this pair, the LP seems brighter, while the Grosh is more resonent. Not a great fan of Harmony Central, but there's a spot-on review by a pro player of the Set Neck there.

At the going rate for used Set Necks (around the price of a used plain top historic I think) they are a screaming deal, highly recommended. I think a Set Neck would probably satisfy your LP jones.

tedwoods

The Grosh set neck has more chime than an LP when played clean. The notes seem to have better separation in chords but at the same time they sound bigger,fatter and sweeter than an LP in single note phrasing. The Grosh is also more dynamic than an LP with a tighter growl.
My observations are based on the two Grosh set necks that I have and the '57 and '58 custom shop LP's I used to own.

Force Ten

Thanks. I'm looking at the Grosh Set-neck and the Ian Anderson Standard. They're both fantastic-looking guitars!

One way to decide is to try them out, but trying out an IA would be impossible!

Long2Play

Gold Supporting Member
The Set Neck also offers supreme build quality & materials, great balance and ergonomics and full 22 fret clear access......

paintguy

Long Hair Hippy Freak
Gold Supporting Member
My '96 R0 & Set Neck #108:

They are very much in the same ballpark tonally. Of this pair, the LP seems brighter, while the Grosh is more resonent. Not a great fan of Harmony Central, but there's a spot-on review by a pro player of the Set Neck there.

At the going rate for used Set Necks (around the price of a used plain top historic I think) they are a screaming deal, highly recommended. I think a Set Neck would probably satisfy your LP jones.
I agree.

I'm a Les Paul guy and recently sold a amazing Grosh Set-Neck only because of the big neck carve. The Set-Neck is a great guitar with better build quality, finish, fret work, etc... It's a great value and like so many people told me it's really like "what a Les Paul should be".

Jeez Hodad, I must say that RO is one of the best looking Lesters ever!:drool:love:

hodad

Thanks, Larry. Appologies to Force Ten if I'm hijacking his thread with another picture.

tedwoods description is very well put. I should say my R0 is quite bright due to mods.

Force Ten

I've played many LPs, and only one Grosh Set Neck (the one I own), and I'd say the main difference is that that the Grosh can sound clearer and brighter (more articulate), and prettier, but it lacks the deep growl of a great LP. OTOH, I've played LPs that also lack that DEEP growl, but many of them seem to have it. OTOH, I've only played one Grosh Set Neck, so it might be that this one lacks the DEEP growl, but others do not. BTW, despite the lack of DEEP growl, my Grosh is an insanely GREAT sounding guitar. It has a beautiful, open, clarity that I love. And it is a perfectly built instrument. I can't say that about any of my LPs, all of which I also love madly.
This is good stuff. If you think of anything more, please post it!

Trending Topics