Differences between COT50 & Carb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by welcometoashley, Jan 6, 2008.

1. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Supporting Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    hi all,

for those of you who have owned or currently own a COT50 & Carb, can you give me some input on the differences? i have a COT50 that i've had for quite a while. lately though, i've been using my timmy more and am GAS'ing to try new gear - namely, a Carb.

Are the two pedals at all similar? would a carb be redundant? which do you like better and why?

for reference: my main guitar has filter'trons, but i play single coils a lot too.... main amp is DrZ Maz38.....

2. XKnight

XKnight Member

Have you tried stacking the COT50 into the Timmy? Some great tones to be had there. In fact, I stack my COT50 into all my OD pedals with good results.

I haven't tried a Carb yet though.

3. welcometoashley

yeah, sometimes for leads i'll stack the COT50 into the Timmy, but i don't stack a whole lot. through my rig, i feel like when i kick on the cot50 i lose some mids albeit slightly....

4. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I think the CARB is more of a sparkle, chimey type pedal that does the mild overdrive nice but works better with clean tones. The COT 50 works better with a overdriven amp, pushing it into a marshally voiced tone, big and ballsy. Both are great pedals that may be able to be tweeked into somewhat of the same territory but really are two different flavors in the EQ range.

5. Brick

Brick Member

Great description majorleadhead.

6. welcometoashley

thanks guys - this is just the info i'm looking for.... l definitely dig my COT50, but if the carb is EQ'd differently, i'm gonna definitely check it out.