1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Differences Between DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Rouge Delta, May 26, 2020.

1. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Yes, I have, I wind my own pickups, I've tried these things out. But it's more a matter of physics, and you'd realize this if you bought an LCR meter. Wind a pickup with 42 and 43 AWG. Compare the idnuctance, see what happens. Wind some with different insulaitons, check the capacitance, look for a difference.

You're not working with fact, just delusions. You hear what you want to hear, put any of this to a double blind test and you will find that nobody can tell the difference between almost anything. I remember one demo, people couldn't even tell a Telecaster apart from a 335. Take away an awareness of what something is, all those wondrous differences that guitarists wax poetic over evaporate in an instant.

2. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Silver Supporting Member

One of us is clearly delusional and hard of hearing to boot.

3. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

More science, less make believe.

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I used to kind of like Duncans but then I tried Dimarzio 36th Anniversaries and loved them. I started putting them in all my guitars.
    They all sounded good except for my SG. The neck was fine but the Bridge was a little thin sounding.

I read about someone really liking the Duncan JB in the bridge of their SG so I put one in mine and absolutely love it.

TTHX and chumbucket like this.
  5. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

I've used several SuperD's and I don't consider them bright. The have a low-mid emphasis to me. They also aren't as hot as the name implies, at least compared to more modern high output pickups. And they are quite expressive for a hotter ceramic. I suspect the brightness is more of the guitar than the pickup.

Voodoo Soul Blues and chumbucket like this.
  6. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

To you.

7. ShredSquatch

ShredSquatch Conspiracy Experience Director & Stunt Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I have Antiquities in my two LP's and they are fabulous.
    I put EJ's in a dark LP Custom and they really brightened it up!
    I also have the 36th Anniversary PAF in a Strat and it's Killer.

I don't know much about the tech stuff but the 36th and EJ's sound great. YMMV

~ss

HERSCHEL, shane8 and The_Bell like this.
  8. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    when in doubt, call the toll-free Customer Service number and ask for someone who can help - they are available at most any consumer products company like Dimarzio and many, many others - get the info from the horses mouth.

9. chumbucket

chumbucket Supporting Member

For as much bashing as DiMarzio gets for the double cream thing, I never hear anyone bitching about the giant logo that Seymour Duncan puts on all of their uncovered pickups. I hate it and I don't want to have to buy custom shop pickups to avoid it. I wouldn't mind if it was at least smaller. It's hideous and ruins the look of the pickup/guitar.

[​IMG]

10. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

You can rub it off. Or you can have any dealer order it from Duncan without the logo, for the same price, not custom shop.

Also Duncan isn't threatening anyone with lawsuits if they try and put their names on their pickups.

11. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

I've always preferred DiMarzios. I've played numerous guitars with Duncans, but not bonded with them. Plus the logo thing (I know you can rub it off, but still...). Bad enough the raised "bartolini" on my bass pickups, but at least that's black on black.

sedawkgrep likes this.
  12. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Silver Supporting Member

I”m more in the Dimarzio camp though I’ve owned and liked a few Duncans.

Guitars have a huge role to play in this and as a result, the same pickup is loved and hated depending on what the owners hear. For example - the Duncan custom 5 I had, while clear, had no girth whatsoever. This despite many saying how it had such a strong and prominent low end. Same with the 59/Custom. Sometimes it really is the guitar.

But ignoring either maker seems pretty silly to me.

HoboMan likes this.
  13. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

The lack of A2 magnets is a deal breaker....

14. shane8

shane8 Member

I've always preferred the descriptions on the dimarzio site

the few aftermarket pu I've bought have all been dimarzio for this reason - they do what I wanted :|

I have absolutely nothing against SD

I do however think they both make way too many different models

~s~

turntable_blues and The_Bell like this.
  15. NamaEnsou

NamaEnsou Supporting Member

I've been using the Humbucker from Hell in my neck positions for a long time to try and get the brightest single coil tone I could in a full sized humbucker, but you think the Full Shred neck pickup does this even better?

16. EC Strat

EC Strat Member

SD Classic Stk 4’s are top notch noiseless pups. Be sure to check them out if you haven’t.

disconnector likes this.
  17. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

I bought my first DiMarzio pickup in 1978 and I've been a fan of Larry's products ever since. Having said that I never paid any attention to the tone graphs from both Larry and Seymour because it felt nonsensical to me. If you provide a tone sample of these pickups, it likely came from either one or various guitars and the only way that it would begin to make sense for me would be if my guitar was the same one they used. Can you imagine a treble humbucker rated 7 by Dimarzio or Duncan in a first year ESP Kamikaze that had an all maple body with an maple/ebony neck? You'd think it was the shrillest pick up on the planet Earth...far from a treble "7."
    If I must have anything to go on just give me a brief description of what you're trying to accomplish by the creation of that particular pick up. For example, the Super 3 by DiMarzio was a creation that was purposefully mid heavy to tame overtly bright amplifiers that seemed to be the soup du jour of that era . That kind of description I can work with. Giving me three numbers? Not so much.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    EL34 and Tone_Terrific like this.
  18. singularity6

singularity6 Member

When buying aftermarket pickups, I've always leaned toward Duncan's. I've tried the AlNiCo Pro 2 in the neck position, Distortion in the bridge and the Hot Rodded Humbucking set in an Epiphone SG, all with positive results. I've also enjoyed the tones I got out of other people's guitars that had Duncan's in them.

About 6 years ago, I bought myself an Ibanez Iceman that had DiMarzio D Activators in it. You know, they seem to be just fine. My Carvin Bolt T that I built from a kit 20 years ago still has the stock AP11's. Tomorrow, my PRS SE will be arriving, and I'm curious - how will I feel about the stock pickups? My gut's saying that they'll likely be fine.

I'm starting to lean toward the idea that pickups are not nearly as important as I once thought they were. Sure, stock pickups on affordable imports tend to be a bit muddy. I think any aftermarket pickup would be an upgrade in those cases. But once it gets to comparing between say Hot Rodded Humbucking set, the Slash set, or DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone set, the improvements/differences I hear are much less significant. The next time I upgrade pickups, if that happens, I'll probably ask myself "high output? or low output?" Then I'll look for the best deal (I'm skill-capped, anyway! :-D)

19. megatrav

megatrav Supporting Member

I will say in general that I feel like Dimarzio pickups sound like they are more mid-range focused and Duncans are more balanced with extended highs (in comparison). Of course, there are pickups in each brand's line up that defy my limited perceived differences.

I once had a Super Distortion and swapped the ceramic magnet for an Alnico II and it was a very welcomed change. 10/10 would recommend.

I also really like the Duncan Custom 5. I remember it being moderate output for a bridge humbucker (not crazy high output) with really great definition.

I have also owned a Jazz and JB set.
    If given the option between a JB and SD, I would choose the SD and swap the magnet. This is more personal preference as the JB is fantastic and an industry standard for a reason.

chumbucket and Rouge Delta like this.
  20. HSSTele

HSSTele Member

wanna hear something weird?

I think the names actually correspond to how their respective pickups sound.

Seymour Duncan. Sounds kind of warm and mellow when you say it. Sort of spongy and thick. And heavier. Maybe even a bit dull?

Dimarzio. Sounds more sparkly. And brighter. Airy-er. Maybe slightly angular? Also a bit more sophisticated.

That's been my experience anyway.

HoboMan likes this.