1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Differences between JBL d-120 and e-120

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by thesedaze, Aug 23, 2005.

1. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Can someone list the differences between the JBL d-120 and the e-120? the d series seems to be favored by most musicians I run into, but I believe Beyma are redoing the e series model...not sure why?

thanks!

2. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

The D120 has an AlNiCo magnet and is rated at about 60 watts. They originally came with an aluminum edge-wound voice coil and a unique single-ring cone with the number 21032 stamped on them.

I don't know too many details about the E120, other than that it's a ceramic magnet and handles an enormous amount of power - 200 (or maybe 300) watts. I would suspect that the voice coil and cone material/design are significantly different than the D series. They both share a 4-inch voice coil with aluminum dust cap.

If someone could manufacture a truly accurate re-incarnation of the D120, I'd be first in line to buy a few. Quite a few. Tom

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

very cool thanks for that...now the d130 and the d140's...those are the 15" equivelents right? I believe the 140's were higher powered than the 130s. Were these speakers rated low as well compared ot their e counterparts?

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

D130 was designed for guitar, the 140 for bass. I too would love to see someone doing a deadnuts D120; sign me up.-Eric

5. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

Have you heard of the Weber AlNiCo California 12's? They were designed to be direct replacements for JBL D120F speakers. I had my D120F's reconed by Weber using the California AlNiCo kits and they did a superb job. Too bad they no longer recone 3rd party speakers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They are $180 USD. https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

6. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

I wonder if he replaced the voice coil in my D120's with a 2" when he did the reconing job!

I would hope that Ted would have warned me prior to doing the work.

In fact, I'm not even sure whether voice coils are replaced during reconing. Do you know?

7. ottobahn

ottobahn Guest

That's a relief. Thanks.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I tried an E series 12" speaker once. I hated that thing, sooo BRIGHT. And I put it in a Deluxe Reverb Reissue no less. Ouch.

9. tmac

tmac Goldmember Gold Supporting Member

Anybody have any K120's they want to part with? Need one for my Princeton Reverb.

10. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I think Jerry Garcia used E-120s......super clean and bright.
    FWIW,
    RIck

11. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I think you are right. He also used Alnico V pick ups if I recall.
    I remember hearing about him bitching that they only sounded
    good for about a year, then lost their tone.

I read somewhere that those magnets start losing their
    Gauss (flux density ((corect term anyone)) after about
    a year and smooth out. I was really surprised when I read
    this and after recalling what Cherry Garcia said was amazed
    that he could hear the difference after all those years of
    playing.

Then he dried out and died.

RIP Jerry, thanks for all the tunes and times.

Keep on Truckin'

12. Kurzpiano88

Kurzpiano88 Member

There are three major differences between the JBL D and E series 120 12" speakers. First is the magnet. The D has the ALNICO while the E has the larger and heavier ceramic. Second is the cone. The D series cone has a pleated paper surround ( some earlier models were smooth with no pleats ) while the E series has a Cloth surround. The third major difference is with te coil gap. The E series has a wider gap than the D and uses what is called "Field Focused Geometry" which was adapted from the K series. This focuses the magnetic field in a more uniform pattern around the voice coil. The D series power rating is 200W peak and 100W RMS with a SPL of around 100db. The E series handles 300W peak and 150W RMS with a SPL of 103db. There is also a difference in weight. The D-120 was about 14lbs. while the E-120 is 20lbs.

Most guitar players that I've talked to who are into vintage amps and sound tell me that they prefer a speaker with a paper surround...but being a keyboard player I can't hear any difference betseen the paper or cloth.

13. Kurzpiano88

Kurzpiano88 Member

Amp Nerd,

An ALNiCo magnet does not loose it's Gauss, flux density ?? or power in a year. It does however loose it's power after many years. Right now the magnets in the D series speakers from the 60's are getting rather weak compared to their original magnatism. HOWEVER!!! The good news is that for around $60 the D series can be sent back to JBL and they will remagnitize the ALniCo magnets.

14. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

Not entirely accurate here.

The voice coil gaps in the D120F, K120 and E120 are all the same... .057"

The E-Series has a higher flux density in the gap of 1.35T(13,500 gauss) due to the more powerful ceramic magnet that replaced the Alnico from the D/K Series which is 1.2T(12,000 gauss) . The E-Series is about 2dB more sensitive.

While some might prefer the D120F's treated paper surround and it's associated cone breakup, the K/E series "m-roll" surround yields better low frequency response and mechanical power handling as well as the ability to be a cleaner more versitile performer.

Every player that I've reconed an original D120F with the E120 recone kit has been thrilled with the results. Basically, it's upgraded to a K120 with E120 power handling. Some guys have been intimidated by the beastly sensitivity of the E120...and the extra weight...but some have gotten used to it and other's love it from the start. It can replace multiple 12's of a lesser pedigree....and do it without complaint for....well...decades of service. What's not to love? Turn the treble down a few notches and the high end can be tamed. Power rating is 300 watts pink noise in sealed/vented enclosure. 150 watts in open back.

15. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Let's bump this one 'cause edgewound brings up some good points here.

One more point that is rarely mentioned regarding the db rating on speakers is that every 3 db increase will be TWICE AS LOUD!. Therefore the JBL E120 with it's 103 db output will walk all over almost every other speaker made. If I remember right it has the highest db rating of any of the usual guitar speaker choices. Yes - the E120 recone kit is a win - win for a D120.

16. boater1941

boater1941 Member

The D's and K's(with new mesh fabric between cone and frame). The peak for these Ds n Ks range to fully open them up is between 60 watts to max. All of em D,K,and E use a 4inch voice coil and an aluminum dome. They werent just used by Jerry Garcia. They were used by everyone from Jimmy Hendrix,SRV,Allman Bros.,Floyd to Paul McCartney. You can always see just a shimmer of the aluminum dome coming through the cab screen.
    Check out this Hendrix footage. Fender Bandmaster Head pre amped out to hifi amplifier to fuel his wall of D-120/130 JBL's
    http://youtu.be/a6meMBtTgKQ
    The E120's on the other hand are a massive power upgrade and massive ceramic magnet weighing 57lbs. One E120 can fill up an entire packed bar and not even be close to half output. It takes alot more punch to open these up to their sweetspot but when you do you'll know. Garcia wired a vert stack in series of 4 @1ohm with his modded 64 fender twin preamp only tapped out to a McIntosh 2300 hifi and prob best quality home stereo amp of our time. Massive 47000uf filter caps. Range from .5ohms to 16. The E's Technology with their new heavy ceramic mags.(they went ceramic due to trade embargo where they build Alnico mags). They were house in a birch open back vertical cab capable of1200+ watts. They were stacked vertical because all the 120 series had a wide horizontal spread and are more effective when vertical. I have several JBL 120 only homemade cabs. Theres nothin like em. Their frequency response is the widest of any speaker and the voice coil is 4inches. I have a single e120 cab hooked to a bridged rocktron velocity300. Then I have a triple vert k120 stack that I run at 2 ohms series hooked to a bridged McIntosh2100 and a double vert of two E120s @ 4ohms that I got from a SRV gear auction. Got them both new in box for 75 each. They are hooked to McIntosh as well.
    People complain of the headroom(too bright). Well its all what you feed them and the style of your cab. Open back cabs are brightest ofcourse. 3/4 closed backs start to bring out bassy sides. Every guitar players quest is to achieve the ultimate headroom. Now they can muddy down,dirty up,smooth smooth bass and all the way up to glass shattering brightness.
    Best by far guitar speakers ever made. Also check your polarity with a 9v battery. If your JBL is properly reconed or factory. The black connector on JBL's is positive and red is ground. A little JBL secret. Even throwing a 120 into any combo amp will instantly bring it to life even if its SS. Like night and Day diff.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  17. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Lots of misinformation in your post boater.

18. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

misinformation......*AND* WhyTF are we reopening a NINE year old thread which was needlessly reopened FIVE years ago?

Indeed, the OP hasn't even logged into TGP since Jan 2012!!! And the guy who reopened it in 2009 hasn't logged in since 2009! So the audience has left the theatre!!!

Stop this nonsense!

19. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I don't get the irritation with a thread based on it's age.

Does it makes more sense to create a new thread - that doesn't contain good info from the past?

Balok likes this.
  20. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have an E in a 1 x12 cab, use with Deluxe or Vibrolux if the situation calls for it.

Bright yes, but to me easier to dirty up bright than to brighten up dirty.

Plus, I mostly use Gibsons so the clarity is nice.

Have a JBL 123 in the Deluxe and a couple Webers in the V.