Differences between MIM Strat & Highway One?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MGT, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MGT

MGT Member

Looking for some advice from all of you strat experts. I tried out a highway one strat last night & it sounded great/played great. Also tried out a couple of MIM strats & didn't find a huge difference but there is a $300 or more difference in price (at that shop, anyway).

Can you guys explain the differences to me? I currently have a Nashville Tele & have acquired the strat bug but have a rather tight budget.

Thanks for your help!

2. TS808

TS808 Member

I'm assuming that you were looking at a standard series MIM?

The Highway One is American made if I'm not mistaken. THe price is kept down compared to other US strats by using the satin finish on the body etc. The pickups on the HW 1 are staggered pole pieces and alnico, whereas on the MIM standards, the pups are ceramic. Also, the finishes on the HW1 were recently upgraded.

Also the electronics are different. Fender just upgraded the tone controls (they are called "greasebuckets") that roll off the highs without adding any bass. I found the necks on the HW 1 to be incredible and close to the necks on my American series strats in terms of quality.

Both the MIM and HW1 strats have the same trem...the "vintage style" which is not the same as the original vintage. Die cast saddles and the trem block doesn't have alot of mass to it.

One guitar I'd give some SERIOUS consideration to is the Jimmie Vaughan signature strat. I'm not sure if you like maple fretboards or not, but the JV is probably the best value in MIM strats.

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Kinda like a poor man's Eric Johnson strat? That's exactly what I'm after and I'll be on a serious constriction of coin even when I am ready in a couple/three months to buy another geetar. Thanks for the advice! Burst/maple for me...

4. TS808

TS808 Member

Kind of...lol. The EJ strat has a 12" radius and the JV has a 9.5" radius. The neck on the JV is a "V" shape but really comfortable, with medium jumbo frets, and the pups (tex-mex) are pretty decent. What I thought was cool about the JV strat too was that the tone controls are hooked up to the bridge and neck pups only, whereas the vintage style strats are neck and middle.

The two-tone sunburst is really cool on this guitar.

5. MGT

MGT Member

Yes, the MIM strat is a standard. THe highway one's finish is noticably different than that of other guitars. I tried out two of them (one with a maple neck & one with a rosewood fretboard). I love the look of the maple but find it "sticky" in comparison - just a personal thing, I guess.

Basically, I was just wondering if I'd still be getting a decent guitar if I got the MIM version.

Thanks for pointing out the differences.

6. sshan25

sshan25 Supporting Member

Best Strat for the money. IMHO.

7. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Hwy 1 has 1 11/16 nut and MIM has 1 5/8 nut (1.650"). The newest MIM strats have medium jumbo frets just like the Hwy 1.

8. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

An even better strat than the JV imho is the Deluxe Player. 12' radius, medium jumbo frets, vintage noiseless p/u's (same as in the Eric Clapton model) and an ash body.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Deluxe-Players-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511597

The 06 MIM standard strats btw have been upgraded with meduim frets, better sounding p/u's than previously and a thicker bridge block. They also come with gigbags now which is nice. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

Last but not least the 60th anniv strat (MIM model) for $500 new is a really nice guitar.
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...ndard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517894

9. MartinPiana

MartinPiana Supporting Member

Can't speak to the strat, but I have a MIM tele standard one-piece maple neck/fretwboard and the neck (and fretwork) is really terrific. practically worth the price of admission and the main reason i bought the ax. i was in the shop the other day while my favorite sales associate was setting up a new strat delux (the one with the fancy dots and the push button knobs) -- and he handed it to me with a look of disgust. neck was not as good as my MIM altho tolerable, but the frets needed going over. absolutely did not feel like a $1k instrument or whatever they cost. ... i put some bill lawrence pickups in the tele and it is really a good instrument. excellent playing and pretty good tone. i wonder what it would sound like if i stripped off that thick, virtually indestructable plastic finish....

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

In 20 minutes when the office closes, I'm going to head over to Corner Music to try out some strats (Fender & G&L)... I'd love to score a nice used Legacy at some point (I've played the same PRS McCarty Rosewood for 7 years or so)... I haven't been a strat guy in the past, but I really want one... a vibrato tailpiece and all the single coil sounds... My very first guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar II (decent maple neck, HORRIBLE non-locking yet floating tremolo... made no sense- bending the G string up a step around the 12th fret and picking the low E string resulted in a whammy like dive-bomb; actually handy since I never could find an arm to fit the weird ibanez bridge assembly)... Anyway, I want one! Maybe in three months I can scrape together $500-650 for a used Legacy or at least a MIM JV or something... Japanese 50's strat? Probably going for as much as the current US offerings...

11. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

You'll have a lot of really nice guitars to choose from in that price range:dude