Differences between the Gibson 336 vs. 339?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by procos, Dec 20, 2009.

1. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Just what the title says?

Thanks,

Chuck

2. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

plywood on the 339. 336 is carved out similar to a prs hollowbody. 336 is also neck heavy. QC is worse on the 339. I like the 339 better but make sure you have the option to return.

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

The 336 is a Gibson Custom Shop guitar. It's slightly smaller than the 339. The 336 has a carved Maple top with Mahogony back and sides. The 339 is laminate construction like the 335. Both guitars come with Gibson Classic 57 humbuckers. Both guitars have a solid Maple block running the center of the body. Touted as the perfect semi-hollow guitar for the solidbody player. I've played both. The 339 is a VERY nice guitar but if you can spring for the extra dollars the 336 really has the tone. There are other slight differences that escape me right now.

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I thought the 339 smoked the 336

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Thanks alot I respect your opinion on tone.

6. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

7. surfshack

surfshack Member

sorry if i'm hijacking the thread but, any pickup recommendations for these 339's? i'm looking to replace the pups in my 336, i've got high order humbuckers in there now, but i may want to try something different. the high orders are overwound at 9.5K , they sound alright , but i'm not a big fan of high output pickups. i was thinking maybe some lollar low wind pickups, but i don't know. i've heard that low winds work in a 335 , but i don't know if they'll work as good in a brighter sounding guitar like the 336 or 339. any suggestions?

8. TRawker

TRawker Member

I doubt you would hate yourself if you threw a set of lollars in that plunk. I'd be interested in hearing a 339 with a set of lollars in it. Great pickups.

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

My 336 is not neck heavy, even though it weighs in at a svelt 6.5 lbs.

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

The sustain block on the 336 is Mahogany, not maple. That's becuase the back and sides are carved from a solid piece of Mahogony.

11. Trebor Renkluaf

I can't comment on the 339 as I haven't played one, but I have owned a 336 since 2003. The tone of the 336 is somewhere between a super reosonant Les Paul and a 335. It's brighter than a 335, not as full or warm, but is super resonant. Mine is super light, weighing in at a svel 6.5 lbs. Sustain is excellent. For me it's more comfortable to play than a 335, but it doesn't have the fullness or warmpth of a 335 either. I can't imagine a 339 with it's smaller body would offer the same full, warm tone as a 335 either.

12. surfshack

surfshack Member

that's what i was thinking. i think i'll give it a try!
    i'll post up a review sometime in the future.

13. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a 336, two 356s and three 339s in an effort to come up with 335 tone in a smaller package. While they are great guitars none of them came close to a good 335. Like Trebor said, they just don't have the warmth and fullness of a 335.

The 339s came closer to the 335, they were kind of like taking the 335 tone and shifting the resonant peak up more toward the upper mids.

The 336/356s reminded me of the chambered Les Pauls or something like a Anderson Hollow Cobra or PRS Hollowbody. Kind of like a Les Paul but without the low mid punch of a good Les Paul. More zing in the presence than a Les Paul too.

One other thing, I had trouble getting to the last couple of frets on all of these as the back of my hand would hit the cuttaway. i don't have this problem on a 335.

14. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Actually we are both right. (just re-read the Gibson page) While the 339 does have a solid Maple block running the length of the body, the 336 has BOTH a solid Maple center and a solid Mahogony center running the length of the body. The carved Maple top is left thicker in the center and the carved Mahogonay body is left thicker in the center so you get the combination of the two tone woods acting as a sustain block.

:)

15. Trebor Renkluaf

That would be correct.

16. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

A question then as you've been able to play/own both the 339 and the 335. Can you get the same type of tones from the 335 as the 339? I've not had or played a 335 but most folks seem to be trying to find that "335" versatility in a smaller package. I don't care about the smaller package, and I'm wondering if there is "more" so to speak available with the 335...Thanks

17. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

In my experience a 335 just has a fatter, warmer tone than a 339 does. The 339s have more upper mid "bite" that take more in the solid body direction tonally. I think the 339s are great guitars that have a good sound of their own, but for someone used to a 335 and looking for that sound they aren't going to satisfy.

18. surfshack

surfshack Member

well said.

no matter which guitar you choose, the 339 or 335...play it before you buy it. if it's a good guitar it'll give you years of enjoyment. that's what it's all about IMO....

19. jefrobie

jefrobie Supporting Member

What has impressed my about the 339 is the ability to go into the "drive" zone and really just scream...Can the 335 do that? I wouldn't mind a fatter warmer/fuller for the cleaner side and if the 335 will bring that Gibson humbucker killer drive to the table it may be worth the plunge. Once again, one of the reasons I hear constantly from folks looking to the 339/336 etc is trying to find that 335 stuff in a "smaller" package. That is not an issue for me as being 6' 5" many times a guitar will look too small! So...can that 335 go into drive territory like the 339? That's probably the question I would like addressed! Thanks,

20. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Just got a 336 and it is by far a way better constructed guitar than the 339. The 339 is nice but a different sort of nice. The 336 has me blown away, it is incredible. I prefer it over les pauls, es335's and the 339. It is a very acoustic, sustaining les paul sort of sound but it has more clarity and ring to it. Killer guitar.