Different boards for different amps?

Modulator

So I am happy with where my pedalboard is at, it sounds great through one amp (Carr Slant 6V's clean channel), but it sounds more midrangy and not as nice through another amp (Swart ASTpro). I built the board around the Carr, but now I'm thinking that I might be chasing a dragon trying to do one board that sounds good with any amp. To dream the impossible dream...

What do you guys do about this sort of "issue"? Different board for different amps? Sell everything and start over? Hahah.

guitarman3001

Not completely different boards but I have one board and depending on the amp, I might switch out one or two pedals. I have a core set of pedals that I use with every amp. What gets switched out are dirt pedals and the amps' footswitches, all of which I have attached velcro to so I can mount them on the board. The boost and delay in the FX loop and autowah and compressor out front all stay the same no matter what amp I'm using.

Modulator

Makes sense. The part of the board that seems to be causing me grief is the OD section, which happens be be between my wah>compressor>OD>modulation>delay. Thanks for narrowing down what I need to figure out. I was stressing about taking it apart and figuring it out again for the 100th time. :idea

hamerman55

Silver Supporting Member
I've been thinking about two boards, for just this reason. The boost-drive needs to be different depending on which amp.

I just thought it might make sense to have one board with compressors, modulation and delay, with a daughter board having the drive section. I use a true bypass looper (the BYOC) and it would be easy to implement. This thread got me thinking.

guitarman3001

Makes sense. The part of the board that seems to be causing me grief is the OD section, which happens be be between my wah>compressor>OD>modulation>delay. Thanks for narrowing down what I need to figure out. I was stressing about taking it apart and figuring it out again for the 100th time. :idea
Yep, piece of cake, just swap out the OD. I just did that tonight as a matter of fact. Last gig I used one amp, tomorrow's gig I feel like using another amp. I swapped out an OD for an SHO boost and viola, ready for the new amp. Flathead screwdriver to pry the velcro apart without tearing the adhesive and 30 seconds later I'm ready for a different amp.

John K.

Is the problem mostly a color/EQ problem or the different compression/gain level?
If the first, an EQ pedal at the very end should do the trick.
If the latter, I'd suggest setting up the board for a edge-of-breakup or slightly dirty amp, and get an "amp-like" overdrive for using into a clean amp?

Memphistokid

I was thinking about 2 boards for different setups myself. LP and board#1 into Marshall 18 watt amp and Strat into board#2 into Blackface Super Reverb amp. Im working on a classic rock setup and the other that Jimi/Srv/Slowhand thing. Its gettin there....

Modulator

Still thinking what my next step will be, but one thing I realized that was effecting the sound is the rug and amp height. My old place was all concrete and brick, but I moved recently, and have carpeting that is absorbing a lot of sound when the amp (the Swart) is on the ground versus the Carr which is on a stand about 2 feet off the ground aimed slightly upwards (at my ear). I think my ear still needs to get used to having way less echo, more like studio booth vs a stage with much less absorption, and I need to get the amps about the same height and angle before doing anything more.

@John K. I think it's mainly an EQ problem with the Swart, but I haven't tried the board yet on my last amp, /13 JRT9/15. The amp sounds great, but is freaking loud when it does, belongs on a stage more than my studio with an attenuator. I know I'll run into yet another issue, probably a levels issue with that amp. I might just keep the board with the Carr, and just run small 2-3 pedal combinations into the /13 and Swart since they have a distinctive character.

All good problems to have.

highrise

Three boards.

First is run to my VH4...just a boost, a flange, eq, reverb, delay, and a midi channel switcher. All mono.

Second is true stereo with mono effects in front of the amps then split with an ABY into TH30/Prosonic. And stereo effects in the loops. Chorus, delay, reverb, and an MM4.

Third (in progress) is another mono board running into a NMV single channel amp. Boost, fuzz, reverb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
I built my board around a Dr. Z Carmen Ghia. Many of the pedals sound way different through my Tungsten Crema Wheat.

BluesBUSTER

Silver Supporting Member
My findings are similar to others that have posted on this thread: the OD/Dist pedals are amp-specific. Sometimes the Boost also, depending if it's a clean boost or adds a little dirt. The OD pedals usually have a clear EQ influence and that will play differently with each amp & guitar. Oh yeah, that goes for guitars also. I didn't find this issue with delay or chorus pedals.

rollyfoster

Silver Supporting Member
So I am happy with where my pedalboard is at, it sounds great through one amp (Carr Slant 6V's clean channel), but it sounds more midrangy and not as nice through another amp (Swart ASTpro). I built the board around the Carr, but now I'm thinking that I might be chasing a dragon trying to do one board that sounds good with any amp. To dream the impossible dream...

What do you guys do about this sort of "issue"? Different board for different amps? Sell everything and start over? Hahah.
LOL I just picked up an AST master last weekend and my board has gotten completely overhauled already. I've gotten rid of a zendrive and added a swart atomic boost and fuzzyboost which are both just absolutely amazing with the AST. I dropped a couple of other pedals, as well, but the drives are the most affected.

I kept my TS9 silver and prince of tone so as it stands, with my AST, I use the swart pedals and the POT. When I get my Suhr Bella back from some work I will probably only use the TS9 and POT with it. I may switch out one of the swarts with something else at some point when using the Bella.

My board will just have a couple of drives I will or won't use depending on what amp I'm running. It did get me to really focus on what I want out of my gain options, though.

So far I've found the AST really seems to love boosts/fuzz more than overdrives, or at least the more mid-focused ones since it's a pretty bold and middy amp. Greg V has a Timmy demo with the AST and it sounds awesome.

Last edited:

Broomz

I think it depends also on how often you switch back and forth between amps. If it's every other day for gigging, you may decide the convenience of not having to swap out pedals is worth having two setups. I use my same board for several different amps but I tweak some values– tone knobs, drive vs volume, compression– specific to each. Also I have a volume pedal (active) at the end of my drives/modulation and it really makes a difference in tweaking what's going into the amp depending on whether it's lower vs higher headroom. Actually I can play an SG neck-humbucker into my 5e3 (i.e. a low-headroom, midrange-thick amp) with the volume pedal down and make it sound thin and percussive like a single-coil. I recommend experimenting with the gain going into the front end like this.

So yes, kinda.

I have two amps, an Allen Encore and a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket. The Allen has built in reverb & tremolo and loves dirt pedals. The Mesa hates dirt pedals and has no built-in effects. Instead, the Mesa is a channel switcher and has an effects loop. Additionally, we rehearse in hourly studios in NYC. So I build my board for rehearsals and remove pedals accordingly

Here's my board for rehearsals:

When I play the Allen, the reverb & tremolo are replaced by the amp's footswitch. I also remove the Z-Vex Channel 2. It's there as a buffer for wonky rehearsal room amps.

When I play the Mesa, I remove the Skreddy and the Pickle Drive. They are replaced by the amp's footswitch. The signal is sent out from the Quasar into the Mesa's front end. The delay, reverb, trem, and Z-Vex (which is now used as a solo boost) run in the amp's effects loop.

Fulldrive-1

Maybe, but I play Marshall (for rock) and Fender (for jazz). I set my board up to sound good with either. Cheaper and simpler than two boards.

Trending Topics