Different Frets on Same Guitar?

Longer

As a Fender guy all my guitar life, I’m excited about building an LP for myself.

I’m really digging the different feel of an LP, (bought a tribute to test and flip) the only minor issue are the upper frets feeling a bit more compressed / congested.

One would think that the Modern Narrow & Tall frets would be the best solution for this, but I’ve always enjoyed the feel of jumbos.

So... Have you ever heard of someone going Jumbo, but with the Narrow & Tall frets for the final 6 frets or so?

(BTW, both the Modern Narrow & Tall and Jumbo are the same hight)

The_Bell

As a Fender guy all my guitar life, I’m excited about building an LP for myself.

I’m really digging the different feel of an LP, (bought a tribute to test and flip) the only minor issue are the upper frets feeling a bit more compressed / congested.

One would think that the Modern Narrow & Tall frets would be the best solution for this, but I’ve always enjoyed the feel of jumbos.

So... Have you ever heard of someone going Jumbo, but with the Narrow & Tall frets for the final 6 frets or so?

(BTW, both the Modern Narrow & Tall and Jumbo are the same hight)
I think the Jake E Lee did something like that (maybe medium jumbo for lower frets) - just looked at the Charvel site now though and no mention of it.

Steadfastly

Jumbo frets are becoming more and more common. There are some companies calling medium jumbo frets, jumbo so you need to be specific.

I’ve heard of folks having their guitars refretted using 6100s for most of the board but 6105s for the smaller frets.
I think Jake E. Lee said he likes jumbos for 1-12 and medium jumbos for 13-22.

I, however, am a big fret FREAK. My Yngwie Strat has Dunlop 6000 Super Jumbos all the way. :aok Everything else in my arsenal has 6100 size or very close.

DGA

Silver Supporting Member
I think the Jake E Lee did something like that (maybe medium jumbo for lower frets) - just looked at the Charvel site now though and no mention of it.
I don't know about his Charvel, but he had that on his ESP sig model.

AltecGreen

Gold Supporting Member
I've seen a few guitars from boutique builders that have done this. It's rare but you do find them.

Longer

Think I’ll go for it, should give my fingers more room and I don’t see much of a downside.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Yes I've been doing that on my own refrets for almost 20 years. Turned customers on to it as well. Not my original idea, I saw a Jake e Lee sig model in a little boutique shop around 2000 that was done that way. I thought it made infinite sense.

I use 58x110 1-11, 55x95 to the end.

Trending Topics