Different Ibanez RG models? Cannot crack the code!

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking at getting an Ibanez RG, but I cannot figure out the differences among models. I understand there are lots of cosmetic differences, different pickups, etc., but is there a "quality" difference from the 350 to the 550 to the 700 series? Can someone point me to a reference page?

Thanks,

Lavely

germs

depends on a lot of stuff - year and country of manufacture, etc.

for instance, the MIJ RG350 are NOT the same as the new RG350's (made in Indonesia) on the MF site.

if you're looking for a new model, the Ibanez site has a lot of good info on specs.

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
I'm looking at older 80s-90s models. How does a 350 differ from a 550 from a 750?

Lavely

tbonesullivan

There is no set of "rules" for a given model number. Most of the base models started back in the 80s/90s. Then when they update it they add a 1 in front of it.

So the 550 is a bolt on HSH guitar, top routed with a pickguard, locking tremolo, volume and tone, just as the 1550 and the 2550 are. The 570 is a rear routed HSH guitar with a locking tremolo, volume and tone, and no pickguard, just as the 1570 and 2570 are.

there may be differences, and some "lines" have been discontinued.

In the end though there is no real rhyme or reason to their naming scheme.

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
Budget is not an issue. I'll spend $1,000 if that gets me a "better" RG, but I can't tell any difference between the $300 versions and the $600 versions. For instance, there are several 3XX models on Ebay for $350, while the 5XX models tend to sell for $450-$600. Why?

Lavely

the 300 and 400 series tend to have crappier floyds. stick with 500 and up. that'll get you an Original Edge or Lo-Pro Edge. that's most of the difference.

musicman1

Better trems are one of the differences. Others are p/ups...you get Ibanez USA which were at one time made by DiMarzio. Hardware such as pots and switches are better as are tone woods, frets and inlays.

R3deemed

Plus workmanship overall. The best made ones tend to come from Japan, but I understand those made in other locations have made tremendous strides.

The 1550 is basically what the 550 used to be (I think the difference is the neck joint). You can't go wrong with one of those, and they recently reissued some 550s.

Rich Harris at Ibanez Rules! carries only the upper end of the Ibanez. IIRC some of the Prestige line is now made in Korea. He charges a premium, but his service and set-ups are second to none.

There is a lot of info about Ibbys on his site, and he posts (or used to) over on Jemsite quite a bit.

You've probably seen the 1550 and 550 20th for sale here. If I was in the market for another guitar, that 1550 would be very tempting.

Lavely

Gold Supporting Member
OK, if we stick with 500 & up, what does the 700 series give me that the 500 does not? musucman1 mentions "better tone woods, frets and inlays" - what does this mean?

Lavely

tbonesullivan

The V7 V8 and V1 pickups are also very nice. Basically you want to stick with the Made in Japan models. They have the better quality double locking tremolos, and better necks. If you want a good classic Ibanez that was recently reissued, look for an RG770DX from the early 90s. My friend has one of the red ones, and they ROCK.

Also a lot of people like the guitars with the 5 piece neck, and the bound fretboard, though the 5 piece neck with volute is the most important part.

RG_76

Silver Supporting Member
The 700 series buys you upgraded inlays (sharktooth), a color matched headstock and different pickups. This is true on the older models. You can find a RG570/550 with sharktooth inlays and a color matched headstock, this would be denoted as a "DX" at the end of the model number; RG570DX

When Ibanez switched to the Prestige monicker, they added a "1" in front of the old model numbers:

The RG570 is now the RG1570
The RG550 is now the RG1550

The "700" series guitars are replaced by model numbers starting with "2" and "3".

RG2550 is an upgraded RG550; The RG3550 is also an upgraded RG550.

There's also a RG2570 model.

RG550 = HSH pickup config with a pickguard where the RG570 is the same guitar minus the pickguard.

For me, if it wasn't MIJ (Made in Japan) then I don't bother with it. The serial number on the back of the headstock should start with the letter "F."

Hope that helps a bit =) Feel free to PM me and I will give you my phone number and explain this to you via phone haha =)

Suhrlicious

Budget is not an issue. I'll spend $1,000 if that gets me a "better" RG, but I can't tell any difference between the $300 versions and the $600 versions. For instance, there are several 3XX models on Ebay for $350, while the 5XX models tend to sell for $450-$600. Why?

Lavely
Well, if $1,000 is not a problem and and you aren't entirely hung up on it being an Ibanez RG,...then I'd like to make a suggestion to which I believe would be a "better" RG: Rasmus M200. Rasmus is a company created by the high-end custom builder, Suhr Guitars. Rasmus basically offers budget guitars based off of Suhr guitar models. The quality is extremely high for a guitar in the sub $1,000 range, with the Rasmus models sharing some of the same hardware found on their Suhr counterpart: (same Suhr pickups, same Suhr fretwire, and Gotoh bridges.)

The Rasmus M200 is based off of Suhr's 24-fret "Modern" model with a Gotoh Floyd. This model is very similar to an Ibanez RG, but with better features IMO. For one, every Rasmus guitar is Plek'd (computerized fret–leveling machine) just like all Suhrs. This something that you will not find with Ibanezs in this price range. Anyhow, you can find more info here: www.rasmusguitars.com

Some members here at TGP have purchased Ramus guitars and have nothing but good things to say about them. Here's a post with fellow member IronPaws showing off his Rasmus purchase:

Ok, so my local dealer sent me an email saying that he had a Rasmus in. He knew i was looking for a possible second Modern style (used) because i currently have a M1 Pro series Blue Web gloss on order (should be done around June-july) but didn't want to spend a tone of money because I would gig with it. Anyway I made my way down to his shop to giver her a whirl.

As a side note, he has an M1 Charcoal Web in stock I've been toying with the idea of buying that as well, but the impending delivery of my M1 has been holding me off.

Well, i walked in t his shop and he had the two guitars hanging side by side. When I picked them up (one in each arm) they were about the same weight. The Suhr had ha Pau Ferro board, Stainless steel frets and Sperzel tuners. he Rasmus has Nickel frets, Rosewood board and non-sperzel tuners. Cosmetically, that's the only differences you'll notice at first.

Well, I sat down with the Rasmus and started playing unplugged and this thing sang. A very, very resonant guitar. The action was outstanding the neck played like cheetah (fast) and I didn't have to fight it. The finish is amazing, I thought the look of it might be bland from the photos I've seen of them but the metallic really sparkles in person. The Floyd was fantastic, smooth and responsive and a joy to play.

Then I sat down with the Suhr. Anyone who's played one knows what it's like. Playing a suhr is like the first time you dance with a partner who knows what she's doing. her feet are in all the right places, her hands aren't sweaty and her hair stays out of your eyes no matter how fast you twirl or dip her.
Anyway, i digress.

The Rasmus is about 85% the guitar that the Suhr is. It is an incredible guitar, no tquite as magical as the Suhr but pretty darn close. I was very skeptical about a Chinese import from Suhr, but I am pleasantly suhrprised (HA!). So much that I hope i can change my M1 order from a floyd to a 501.

Suhr will sell a ton of these, is the best sub $1000 guitar I've played so far. Are there great guitars that rival it, sure. But I doubt anyone will find a pleked guitar for the price I paid for the Rasmus.

I really wish I had a guitar like this when i was learning, I might have practiced more and been a better guitarist - but of course, there's time for that now as well once my 19 month old goes to sleep.

Hope this helps anyone on the fence

Mudder

For pricing the 550 is the iconic old RG so it sells for more. But any MIJ RG is going to be solid. Typically as you go up the trems get better, you might get binding, maple boards, different dots/inlays, different necks, and eventually body wood.

Trending Topics