Different neck carves and scale lengths

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by phretbored, Jan 26, 2008.

1. phretbored

phretbored Member

Regarding 6 string electric guitars...

Are different neck carves and scale lengths really that difficult to play or adjust to?
    It is not surprising at all that each player would have particular specs they find the most comfortable...I do for sure.
    But I have never had a problem adjusting to a guitar after a little playing time with it.
    The neck carve or scale length could be much different than my favorite specs but at the end of the day it's still a guitar and the differences are generally not too drastic.
    Just curious about why this always seems to be a big deal.

2. ghoti

ghoti Member

No, they aren't. It takes maybe an hour or two and you're fine. But, people play better with what they're used to, and everyone has a preference.

Sometimes, your physical tools or technique will mean you don't want to deal with a certain design though. Personally, as long as a neck isn't so thin my hand fatigues after a certain amount of time, I'm generally fine. Also, I am a little more comfortable on a longer scale...but that's more slight preference than anything. I have two basses at 35", one guitar at 27", one at 26.5", one at 25.5", and one at 24.7". My fingers like the shortest one the least, but I don't have too much trouble on it even so.

3. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    After finding my neck spec at a full 1" C (fatback) profile a few years ago, playing anything much thinner at all is way too uncomfortable now. I suppose that if one's favorite neck profile was something of average thickness, moving up or down a few notches might not be a big deal (especially since those necks are so prevalent). But if your needs are rarely found (as it is with full 1" C necks), then it can become a big deal.

Once I realized it was for me, it took me about 2 years to swap out all my guitars for fatter-necked examples. I even sold 2 thinner-necked vintage guitars that I'd owned for years because they were simply too uncomfortable.

IMO, life's too short to play gear that doesn't work at it's best for you.
    I'm more satisfied than ever with my current guitars.

4. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

+1 for Tonedaddy! I have a hard time finding guitars w/ larger(Deeper carve) that I like. And if it`s on guitars like G&L`s where they aren`t easily swapped out, good luck. I found 2 G&L`s (Asats )w/ med/large necks that I`ve adjusted mostly to. But I find , most necks get to tiny in the first 4-5fret area for me. I can`t understand why they do that.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If you are just an ordinary, average guy, the ordinary, average guitar will be close enough. That covers most of them, by far.
    However, like wearing somebody else's shoes, even if they are similar in size, you may not like the feel as well as your own chosen few.

I think there should be a neck-fitting chart similar to a golf club fitting chart, where the choice is made after taking measurements and examining one's style and tendencies. Of course, the average guy still ends up pretty close to 'average,' but at least you get a custom fit...not that it necessarily improves your ability....just like music gear...:bkw