1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

different power adapters

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by mcboyle, May 16, 2011.

1. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

so i just received my luxury boost in the mail but it takes a 9V alkaline battery. i have a "1 spot" 9v adapter that i was assuming would work for any pedal that takes 9v. does anyone know the difference between the adapter i have and an alkaline battery? or know where to find an alkaline adapter with more than one male hole for more than just one pedal?

2. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Adapters allow more consistent power at all times, whereas batteries fluctuate based on battery life. Batteries yield different sounds than adapters and can operate quieter than many adapters...but this varies between pedals.

The multiple plug chains you are looking for are called daisy chains. Visual Sound makes 5 to 8 plug daisy chains that you can get at musiciansfriend or guitar center.

3. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

yea i have a daisy chain with 8 plugs, but it seems to not be working for this pedal. which is weird because it says to power it with a 9volt. does anyone have any experience with the voodoo lab pedal power boxes??

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Alkaline is a battery type which lasts longer than the standard carbon batteries. Other than that, they're the same. A 9vDC adapter will work just fine in place of either battery type, but how to make it work depends on the pedal.

Does it have an adapter jack? If not, there are converter cables that connect to the battery clip directly. If it does, you need to make sure how the jack is wired (center negative or center positive). Center negative is standard, and that's how adapter plugs are normally wired. Also, what kind of circuit is it? Almost all circuits are normal negative ground (+ goes to the circuit, and - goes to ground), but some are positive ground (- goes to the cirucit, with + towards ground). Those pedals can not be powered from a daisy chain - they need their own supply, otherwise they'll short the power out.

Now, the only "Luxury Drive" google found for me was the TC Jauernig Luxury Drive (now also sold under the T-Rex brand), which has an adapter jack and is said to work with "standard 9vDC". I take that to mean you can just plug in your 1spot and go. If it won't work with the daisy chain, something's up. What other pedals do you have hooked up to the chain?

5. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

maybe the daisy chain is messed up?

6. mcboyle

mcboyle Member

yes i have the TC Jauernig Luxury Drive. with a tuner, lovepedal kalamazoo. the other 2 work fine. so ya im beginning to think something is up with the pedal.

7. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Assuming it works with a battery, try the adapter with this pedal only. If it works, try with the different plugs on the daisy chain (still just the Luxury Drive hooked up - make sure the unused plugs don't touch anything that's grounded). If it still works, something's up with the combination of pedals (although I can't see what that would be at the moment). Try adding the tuner first, then the Kalamazoo, to see where things goes wrong.