Different Slide Settings help?.

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by bluesjunior, May 26, 2008.

1. bluesjunior

bluesjunior Member

How do you guys prefer your slide settings?. I seem to shift between my ES335 on the middle pickup, with a lot of gain and the tone controls around 6 to my Strats middle pickup played very clean with the tone knob backed off a bit. I can never make up my mind about reverb with or without.

What do you guys feel is essential for a good traditional slide tone?.

2. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

No matter what the axe, strat/tele/buckers/etc, I play slide mostly on the neck pup.......then occasionally slam it to the bridge when I want to hurt them, Muddy-style!

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Neck with the tone wound down about halfway, or on a Tele, bridge with the tone almost completely wound down. I can't handle that Muddy thang myself - a little warmth is pretty critical for me.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the middle pickup of a strat, through some obvious compression into a cooking 6L6 amp is my recipe for bonnie raitt/lowell george style lyrical coolness. amp reverb and a little analog delay are nice seasonings too.

5. ccuwan

ccuwan Member

Neck pickup with a p90 into a 6L6 works for me.....I like a nice round sound too

6. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

i like the neck/middle position on my s500 and the neck humbucker alone on the asat. reverb on everything. have some...here's some reverb for you and you and you....

7. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Ah- the real question.
    What is 'traditional' to you? Robert Johnson? Elmore James? Muddy Waters? Tampa Red? Duane Allman? Lowell George? Bonnie Raitt? Ry Cooder? David Lindley? Rick Vito? Derek Trucks?
    How about this?-
    "What is essential for a good slide tone?"
    Feel, intonation, control, vibrato, timbre, damping and muting. That sums it up for me. Has nothing to do with settings, IMO.