Different Take On Yngwie's style

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by jemaholic, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jemaholic

jemaholic Guest

I recently bought the G-3 DVD with Vai, Satch and Yngwie.

I've known about yngwie since the 80's but had never really watched him in a live environment until this video.

His style of converting 150 year-old classical music never really caught on here in the states, but he was extremely popular in Europe. Most people I know just HATE his vocalists and arrangements.

Well, now that I've been able to study the video, this guy is A MONSTER. I keep rewinding to watch those impossible legato classical runs up and down that 21 fret board.

He's old and fat (like me!) and he still KICK'S ASS!!!!:dude

God bless ol' Yngwie, and Long Live Rock & Roll.:dude :dude :dude

2. Randy

Randy Member

I agree. He plays too fast too often but he has got to be one of the best 'rock' guitarists that ever picked up an axe. There are plenty of guys just as fast or faster, but Yngwie also happens to play as tasty as anyone out there, has a near perfect vibrato and consistently gets great tone.

I can't listen to him for too long but when I do he blows my mind.

3. jemaholic

jemaholic Guest

Exactly- he's SO over the top you just can't take him for very long...
    But man, DAT BOY CAN PLAY!:cool:

4. y2stevo

y2stevo Member

I just picked up tohat Dvd a few days ago too!

Yngwie is definitly A MONSTER, but after mabye 2 songs its somewhat monotonous. I love the Acoustic Guitar Solo he Does on that show. Unbelieveable!!:dude :dude

5. adamquek

adamquek Member

I've been a big fan of Yngwie since I started playing the guitar. Although I no longer listen to much of his stuff or anything from that genre, he's still phenomenal player who I find very inspiring. My favourite work of his is definitely the Concerto Suite... it's quite simply one of the most emotive instrumental guitar works I have personally ever heard. Sure, he overplays alot, has crummy vocalists from time to time, and isn't the greatest songwriter/arranger around. But MAN he has such a wicked expressive vibrato, he can rip it up on the fretboard and he plays with so much feel and intensity. I can pretty much pick out his tone and playing almost immediately, there may be many imitators out there but I feel that Yngwie was the true innovator of his style (yes he copied Blackmore and Hendrix but he meshed it into his *own* sound) and definitely still a cut above the rest.

6. Joe

Joe Senior Member

Since he never created Madonna like returns for his record company I was always surprised the executives did not come in and alter the D&D lyrics and find a better singer, etc...Top names get to do what ever they want, lower rung acts like Yngwie generally still have to listen to the executives wishes. If Sharon Osbourne ran his career he's have made a lot more money IMO.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

...and moreso Uli Roth.

8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Uli is SOO good in that style. I always found Yngwie to just take the flash from Ulis style, and leave out all the depth and finesse that Uli has.

9. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Well put...

10. sirN

sirN Guest

Don't get me wrong, I think Yngwie is a terrific player and damned near the fastest guitar around. But he does seem a bit predictable. Except that he did look MUCH different than the last time I'd seen him. Boy, or should I say Chef BOY R Dee!

Whew, mama mia Yngwie, put down the fork!

just kiddin ya Yngwie! Rock on you swedish meatball.

11. Dave Paetow

Dave Paetow Guest

Yng's problem is that everything he does sounds the same, very repetitive and not very dynamic. I was a fan back when he was in Alkatrazz and the first RF album, but after a couple albums that whole deal gets kinda stale. Every solo is warp speed, and after a while I just get tired of it. I'd like to hear him slow down once in a while, because he has touched on it at times and I liked what I heard.

One thing I liked about Uli is that he knew when to turn it on and burn, and when not to. Like that one tune on Taken By Force where he just lays in the background and just does distant feedback notes and doesn't even solo.

12. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I saw that G3 tour in Atlanta and I'm a huge, huge Vai fan. I've seen Satch several times and really didn't care to see him again, but I was looking forward to Vai and Yngwie was the wildcard...He completely stole the show...Blew me away!

I think I ran into Randall Aiken backstage at that show...

13. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Well yes...although Yngwie's vibrato is beyond excellent.

14. Mark C

Mark C Member

Very true. I'm not the biggest fan of YingYang, but I'd love to have his vibrato. Wouldn't mind if dropped off some of those old Marshalls at my house either!;)

15. jzb

jzb Member

He's fast - sure.
    He's interesting to watch - sure.
    He's a fat Rolex collecting coke head - sure.

But the man has no soul.

All the technique and speed without a real heart behind it. It's all stolen from long dead composers.

Try Joe Stump if you like that type of tech and speed, but with at the very least a modicum of feeling and soul.

-j

16. sirN

sirN Guest

Well he USED to be a THIN rolex collecting cokehead. :p

17. reachjkh

reachjkh Member

I disagree with much of what is said about Yngwie being all speed and no substance.

I've never listened to Yngwie's music much because his singers annoy the crap outa me, and his solos bore me after about one song!

However, on the few times that I do sit down and listen to a song of his, there's always some passage(usually one of the slower ones) in the solo that just moves me deeply. And that doesn't happen in too many guitar solos that I hear.

I don't think it's that he has no 'soul' in his playing. I just think he overplays so much that those beautiful moments get lost among the sheer number of notes he plays, and that obligatory up-and-back-down sweep he seems to do on every single solo I've heard him do.

Dudes(may I call you dudes?), I would gladly take an extra 100lbs of body to be able to play like him. Hopefully I would be able to control my urge for speed, play music for the song and not for the solo, make millions, get endorsements, and then go hire a personal trainer to help me get my rock-star good looks back.

The guy's incredible no matter how you slice it. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to realize that he should be a tad less incredible and just play a nice song that we can listen to.

I may change my mind.

18. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

The guy has a pretty cool take on the blues. He can lay down some pretty insane stuff when he wants to.