Diffs between regular SG, and the '61 RI?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Kiwi, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

What are the differences between the regular Gibson SG Standard, and the more expensive SG '61 RI?

As best I can tell from the literature, the '61 has two Classic 57s and smaller pickguard. What else?

Kiwi

2. Roe

Roe Member

the '61 has a much thiner neck

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

What is the price difference between the 2? Seriously... I have a student looking for a 61' RI, and I don't know what he should expect to pay for one, vs a regular SG Standard. Sorry to hijack your thread, Kiwi!

4. corgiears

corgiears Member

The '61 has a much slimmer neck, different bevels on the body, small pickguard and '57 Classic pickups. I believe the neck/body joint is smaller as well. Nice guitar. They seem to be about $1500 new at most online retailers.

The Standard has a larger neck and different pickups (498 & 499?) with the large pickguard. The hardware is chrome whereas I think the '61 hardware is nickel. Stds seem to range from $1099 to $1199 depending on finish. I've got the natural burst Std and love it.

5. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

Standard has a 490 in the neck and 498 at the bridge. these are both lower output than the 57 classics.

I owned a Standard and have played the reissue a bit as well. They're both nice guitars. It'll come down to neck size and sound of the pickups. Have them play both and see which feels better in their hand and output-wise for the style their pursuing.

6. Roe

Roe Member

you mean higher?

7. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

ummm, well kinda, half right, I guess the Classics would measure somewhere between 7.5-8.0k, the 490 should be below that, the 498 should be higher. right??

8. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

A couple of years ago, I picked up a '61 reissue for my daughter. I tried so many SG's at that time.
    In general:
    You have 1 piece of wood as opposed to 3 and 4 pieces
    Better electronics
    WAY better finish
    Huge difference between the two in resonance and sweetness as the guitar is played acoustically. Tone is way more balanced.

The re-issue is a MUCH better guitar imo. M.E.

9. trisonic

trisonic Member

Kiwi,
    The '61 is way closest to the originals anyway you look at it!
    The cuts and angles on the last one I played were near enough perfect, I just wish you could have a choice of necks........

Best, Pete.

10. Kiwi

Thanks, folks! I knew I'd get the answers here. ==K

11. Rich

Rich Member

Somebody mentioned the neck joint being smaller on the '61. But its more than just the simple heel size (and the resulting access and strength differences).

The Standard's neck joins the body at the 17th fret. The '61 joins at the 22nd. With the thinner neck and this 22nd fret join, the 61's neck is definitely more flexible than the Standard's. To me this translates to a more open and resonant tone. Now I know its really hard to make that direct comparison across the board (every chunk of wood is different, the pickups themselves are different, ...), but thats been my experience with the SGs Ive owned.

Your best bet, of course, is to go out and play a mess of them if you can.

12. 1-Take-Wonder

1-Take-Wonder Member

My "Standard" was actually #211 of the 3-400 Korinas they made back in the early nineties...featherweight, one piece I believe, man! it screamed, why'd I sell that again?

13. sosomething

sosomething Member

My real '63 SG Jr has a big long neck tenon compared to the pretty skimpy one on my '95 SG Special. Does anyone know if the '61 Reissues have the long tenon? It looks like they would, because they have the same neck joint as my '63.

14. Kiwi