Digging Solid State

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TheEchomaker, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TheEchomaker

TheEchomaker Member

Pulled my old fender G-dec 30 today in preparation to try and sell it and ran it stereo with my valveking. Surprisingly found myself really liking the sounds coming out of it and ended up just turning off the valveking. Yeah it sounded a bit thin and the distortion doesnt clean up well, but it just sounded so smooth and had a really nice texture. Lots of pleasant harmonics too unlike my tube amp. Anyone else impressed recently by a solid state?

2. socalscott

socalscott Member

uhm, modeller actually.

3. chrisrocksusa

chrisrocksusa Member

4. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

We don't want yur types around here. :mob

5. iivv145

iivv145 Member

Well theres nothing wrong with SS amps, but they don't have that magical sound gravy that wraps around your ears when you play tube amps. :cool:

6. teemuk

teemuk Member

There was a time when I believed the popular myth that all solid-state amps are horrible but that mindset faded away with several occasions of getting impressed of something that was revealed to be a solid-state sound. Today, I'm not so easily impressed anymore, I just realize you get good/great sound of some amps, and some other amps may not bench all that well. I also realize that the particular characteristic has nothing to do whatsover with issues like tubes vs. solid-state, analog vs. digital, complex vs. simple signal paths, etc.

Today my feelings of getting impressed with solid-state - or let's just say any gear - usually come from situations where a very "bargain-ish" gear that you can buy for $20 - $70 bucks (used) gives run for the money in all regards to gear costing ten times as much, or more. It's sort of a rush when a $50 cheapie amp goes circles around a $500 "intermediate level" gear in all regards.

This was one of those moments... The amp likely cost merely $50 to its owner.

Oh... forgot to add, another typical moment of getting impressed: Someone wipes floors and totally proves wrong popularly accepted ideals about characteristic tones of something. Case in point: "Those Polytone amps have awesome cleans but the built-in distortion is totally hideous and unusable".

7. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

...I think you fell in love with a stereo amp sound, then got side tracked....
    Barnzy

8. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

You ought to try that G-Dec with some headphones!

9. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

only thing missing is the smell of cooking tubes...maybe someone needs to come up with a scented candle that smells like warm power tubes...;)

10. TheEchomaker

TheEchomaker Member

@teemuk Yeah, the bargain is definitely a big part of it, but it also has to do with just hearing something different though, and that something happens to be whats often hated but for some reason you're enjoying it. Kinda like noise rock (which i love).

@ Barnzy haha yeah i dont play in stereo often

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I like how you chew me out merely for criticising the benefit of live applications of NMV amps, but when someone merely mentions they're digging an SS amp, out comes the double standard.

12. rybass

rybass Member

I was a tube snob but then a Sunn Beta Lead converted me. It's one of the warmest and most sculptable amps I've ever owned.

The options are outstanding as well:
    -dedicated loop for each channel
    -master loop shared between channels
    -master overall volume
    -fantastic reverb
    -unique and awesome distortion

I don't believe tone is in the fingers; it's in the gear, the brain and the know how. I don't do a lot of gear swapping, I buy and then I relentlessly tweak until I know the piece backward and forward. It takes time to get to know a piece of gear and understand what is causing it to not do what you want. Some people don't have that time. They want plug and play and to sound pretty much like everything else they hear.

Now I love tube as well. They are all part of my 31 flavors. :bonk

13. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Tube amps are great, but tubes don't have that stable, flat, clean sound that SS do.

I played a solid state amp that I own (Acoustic Lead Series) last night. I was really impressed with the tone- so FREE of harmonics, I guess. Flat (in a good way), dependable sound, not in your face at all. It's like, this is what I'm playing. It's not being enhanced by extra harmonics, which if I can't hear them from my unamplified guitar, do I really want them at all?

Then I turned on a nice sounding tube amp I have. The tube was "better" I guess. More colorful, and most importantly more alive-sounding. But slightly in your face (probably because of the extra tones that the senses have to comprehend), and it doesn't feel quite as 'stable', but still probably a more desirable sound than the SS.

Bottom line, I don't think it's reasonable to diss SS amps. It's more of a personal taste thing than tube sniffers really like to admit, I think.

14. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Ha! One of my first posts here on TGP was how much I was digging a SS Kustom head I had picked up. Responses were a clear and resounding "thud".

There is definitely a place for a nice SS amp. Enjoy!

15. bbutler123

bbutler123 Member

Wow, both those amps sound really good. The playing is sweet also, by the way.

16. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

My thoughts too. I'm not one to be dogmatic about any gear, because there are about a zillion ways to good tone.

The lead guitarist in our band plays a Sunn Beta Lead. You're right, it's a very nice amp with lots of good tones (dirty and clean).

Peace,

17. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I get plenty of gravy from my Pritchard... then again, it's a high end SS. And it's cleaner and not so muddy as many tube amps. I say 'muddy' based on how many effects you use (the more you use, the better I prefer my SS amp over a tube).

18. TheEchomaker

TheEchomaker Member

Glad to see some more positive posts. The Pritchard is a bit out of my price range but ive been interested in the Sunn amps for some time now. Anyone know how much they usually go for?

19. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

My problem with SS amps isn't actually that they don't sound good, it's that they tend to sound generic. They often just tend to sound like a typical clean SS amp, or emulate a generic "Tube amp" sound, somewhere between Marshall and Fender.

I would love to own a unique sounding SS amp. The old HHs are about all I can think of. The ZT stuff definitely has it's own vibe too, but my Lunchbox is bust at the moment.

20. harpinon

harpinon Silver Supporting Member

This would be a great logo for the TGP T-shirt!