Digi-Design's M-Box vs. Mackie's Spike ??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jokerjkny, Nov 28, 2004.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

hey guys,

i cant decided btwn the MBox and Mackie's new little "Spike", which literally looks like its long lost cousin, being the same form factor and all.

also, does anyone have any experience with "Tracktion", the bundle program that comes with Spike?

any experience btwn the two?

2. leond

leond Supporting Member

I had the same decision to make a while back. Folks said the to go with the MBox because of the software that came with it, ProTools LE.

I went with the MBox and I'm glad I did. Easy to use with a large support community.

The only thing I don't like about ProTools LE is that I must have the MBox connected to run it. I use it on a laptop and sometimes I just want to hear what I've recorded and do some simple mixing when I'm away from home. In these cases, I need to take the MBox also.

LeonD

3. Gerry

Gerry Guest

Does MBox/protoolsLE have a built in drum machine? I'm looking for alternatives to a Boss 1600CD since my home computer's pretty adequate otherwise. thanks.

4. leond

leond Supporting Member

ProTools LE does not have a built in drum machine but I'm sure there are plugins that will perform that function.

LeonD

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

thx leon,

that's what i heard, too. but i also heard the MBox performs well with other programs as well, i.e. i could use my copy of Cubase with it.

also, one little question, how portable is it? the Spike has retractable legs that sweep underneath the unit for easy storage in a laptop pouch. how's the MBox?

6. leond

leond Supporting Member

The portability isn't too bad. It would be better if it was a regular shape. Plus it has little "feet" that stick out that doesn't help.

I ended up getting a messenger bag that fits my laptop, MBox, headphones, mic, a few books and other misc stuff. It works out quite well.

Being USB powered makes things easier. One cable between the laptop and the MBox. If the computer is running on batteries, then I have nothing to plug in.

Just to let you know, I'm a real lightweight in using the MBox. I usually just record one or two guitars with very few effects or plug ins. I suggest checking out the support forums at digidesign.com. It's under Support -> User Conference at www.digidesign.com There's a forum for each OS. Very helpful and they can explain more of what the MBox can do.

LeonD

7. onemind

onemind Member

I think the ultimate beauty of any of the Pro Tools Hardware / Software is the ability to walk into a full blown pro studio with a session that you started at home and have it be completely compatible. I was also quite surprised at the quality of the focusrite mic pres in the mbox.

S

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

too true...

funny, but most of the gents i record for, mostly use Logic and Cubase. Protools is a bit of a dream for the rest of us mortals. *shrug*

besides, they usually just take the raw wav track i recorded at home, and sync it up to whatever i click tracked to.

for now, the Spike is actually in the front running due to its more bag friendly shape. but we shall see...

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Well... they do help. They keep it from falling over.

I can't wait for the day Digi gets their heads out of their asses and allows iLok authorization for editing. From a business perspective I can understand their proprietary hardware thing, but why not allow people to do simple editing without all that audio hardware attached? It would be nice to be able to edit in a narrow-assed little airplane seat without hooking up that silly box.

10. GaryNattrass

GaryNattrass Member

It does come with reason a soft synth package that includes a drum machine and samples.

11. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

BUMP! What the hell! I am thinking about the Mbox, but this is a MAJOR drawback. I too would like to do editing/mixing while on a plan, on vacation, whatever. This makes me think Logic PRO might be a better way to go, and use an M Audio 410 which has 4 inputs instead of just 2, phantom power also.......

Ugh.....still can't decide

Mag

12. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Well, it's not like you can't. It's just not as convenient as it should be. I take it along all the time.

13. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

True that, but it's not ideal. Then again, ideal is hard to come by.

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Nothing wrong with Logic. Do what you want! :)

15. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

yeah, but Logic is so effing expensive. I'd get by with spending less $ buy getting the ProTools Mbox. With Logic, I'd still need the M Audio 410....altogether that's definitely more $ than the Protools M Box and LE software. None of these decisions are easy!:mad:

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

You must not be a married man... ;)

17. MagnumSSS

MagnumSSS Member

18. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I'd say neither. USB-1 isn't fast enough if you want to monitor effects in real-time.

19. '63-Strat

'63-Strat Guest

I just bought an imac G5 20inch and mbox factory a month ago.

I'm new to computer recording but have a lot of friends who are not. The mbox factory bundle was the most bang for the buck for what I wanted. The USB issue was something I was initially worried about but so far hasn't been a problem at all. For real time plug ins while tracking that's a problem but monitoring with plugins isn't as important as I initially thought (my needs are as a one-man band/songwriter only).

You get A LOT of software and useful plugins with the mbox factory IMO. I use the bombfactory, joemeek and t-racks ones all the time. Reason and Ableton live are included as well in digidesign versions (ie not full, but close enough for me so far).

I'm perfectly happy with this setup, although if they offered a firewire version of the mbox I obviously would have went that route.

20. A440

A440 Member

I also checked into MBox, Spike, Lexicon's offering, etc. For desktop, thinking of going thru PCI soundcard instead of USB.

The Soundblaster/EMUcards with the external I/O box looks like the way to go for me. Comes bundled with Cubasis also I think. You can also get tracktion for free I think and I also have some other software that I already use.

What do you guys think of this route for a desktop ?