1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

DigiDelay vs DD3

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by daddyo, Mar 12, 2006.

1. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have just picked up a Digitech DigiDelay and while I think it's OK, it has some digital artifacts I don't like. When the level is above 12 noon, you get a digital pop at the onset of the repeated note (not as noticeable on the tape setting). Also, other than the tape setting, it's kind of clinical. As I can return this, is the DD 3 a better pedal? It;s about $30 more here. I know there are many better pedals like a TC Vintage Delay, etc that are way way better but I just want a basic (CHEAP) delay for slap back, Pink Floyd, etc.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've had a couple of the Digidelays and while they are not bad, I still prefer the DD-3 over the digitech, The Boss is also quieter and i feel has a better buffer.

3. autopilot

autopilot Member

i have a digidelay and DD2, for short delay i prefer the dd2 simce it sounds more organic than the digidelay, if you only want 1 delay pedal on your board i will say return the digidelay and get the dd3 or the ibanez DE7 for short delay. i find the digi to work better in conjuction with other delays than by itself.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD Member

careful putting the DD3 in an FX loop... It is easy to overload that input.

5. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

DD3 is great and noiseless for the most part. Has a 'warm' analog feel to it compared to other digital delays.. but the 800ms mode is really the only usable one on the unit in my opinion. It was worth every penny for the 'sound' it can do but it's not very versatile in the long run.

If anyone here owns the DD3 and can post some settings that produce usable tone in the first two delay modes I'm all ears.

I'd def take it over the Digitech any day though.

6. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Curious what you mean by this. I use my DD3 in my FX loop but I'm kind of new to using an FX loop since I preferred to run my pedals in front. It sounds lightyears better in the FX loop but are you saying there is a potential to damage something?

I run both send and mix at noon on the dial and use the pedal's volume to control the effect.

7. autopilot

autopilot Member

yeah the first 2 modes are useless and sound overprocessed and sterile, for short delay i prefer the dod dfx9

8. somedude

somedude Member

I don't think it's possible to damage it that way, but you can hear a distorted sound burried with your normal sound if you're overloading it.

I like the DigiDelay for it's tape sim....but for the rest of the settings I prefer Boss.

9. jeak

jeak Member

You might also try the Guyatone MD3. I think it's $100 new. It's really bare-bones, but I've heard good things about it.

10. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

I use a Ibanez AD99 for my short delays
    I use the Keeley modded DD-3 on the 800ms for my Floyd stuff with a Flanger in the loop.
    I use the Digidelay on the Tape setting for repeat over repeat stuff and love how it trails off after turning it off.
    I wish I could use just one delay for everything that had the sound and features of all 3 together!

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I think most delays (in my experience) sound WAY better in the effects loop. It certainly sounds like you don't have a problem (you would KNOW if you did, when you overload the input it sounds seven kinds of terrible all at once) but I goota ask...are you playing at studio or bedroom volumes only, or have you played it loud as well?

Reason I ask, most of my amps that have effects loops...no problem, but one I have, a Fender Prosonic, was designed with a +10db effects loop and it makes terrible sounds if I plug in a delay/echo in the loop. It isn't dangerous for the pedal, it just is overdriven/digital which means..since digital has a ceiling for headroom, when you hit it it sounds like that.

It's normally not a problem, but you ought to play at real gig volumes to be sure that it doesn't hit the ceiling and make that noise.

12. seanc

seanc Member

i have a Ad-9, dd-3 and a dd-6 and they are some of the best delays i have found (for my purposes). they sound great.

i have tried the digidelay and found it less then par.

13. brent

brent Member

my issue with the digidelay is it's very sensitive input, any sort of boost in front of it will overload it in a very bad way, the DD-3 isn't nearly as touchy

14. LouRossi

LouRossi Member

+1 on the MD-3... simple & sounds great

15. alanfc

alanfc Member

AHA !
    So I'm not crazy...

Mine IS distorting. Its in the loop. Even with the SEND below unity gain.
    Its like its so perfect its repeats are distorted. On dirty amp settings.
    I 've been using it for long sparkly clean-ish sounds but...
    Or should I put the DD-3 upfront--- I don't really like that effect though I've tried and gone back to the loop many times.

my Ibanez DE-7 echo/delay does not do this. I've been using that for shorter delay for leads.

Any ideas on what to replace the DD-3 with , for long cleanish sparkly you know what I mean ?? Should it be analog ?
    thanks

16. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I have both. The Digidelay is more versatile - tap tempo, reverse, modulated delay, tape echo and lots of delay time - so I think you really get a lot for your money.

On my board I use a DM-3 for short stuff (in lieu of reverb) and the DD-3 for long stuff. The Digidelay is for at home use.

17. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

If you really want to make a DD3 sound good get the high cut mod done by Analog Man. I had mine modded last year and love the results. You get a warmer tone like analog but with the longer delay time. Plus it's switchable so you can go back to the stock sound when you want that too.

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I've run my DD-3 for a long time in the effects loops of a Marshall Jubilee and Matchless Chieftain with no issues. I love that pedal.

19. KustietheKlown

KustietheKlown Member

The DOD DFX9 is a great little delay pedal, IMO. i have 2 of them on my board.

20. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I have tested my digidelay next to a DD-3 that I modded with a tape setting (indyguitarist specs) and a DD-5 on my brothers board in my studio. I find the boss delays just sound better in action.

The Digidelay reverse mode is useless! where the DD-5 has a great and useable one.The repeat Knob on the digidelay has no sweet spot and just dosn't sound natural at any setting. I find useing the tap or loop functions impossible live as the footswitch is so spongy. Once you start the loop it's easy to add to it but turning it off is a pain in the a**! I would happily replace it with another Dano PB&J which is superior untill you adjust those micro knobs. The modded DD3 with a tape switch is excellent and
    a better way to go IMHO.