Digital Delay that Can Take High Gain (solved)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Abram4235, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Abram4235

Abram4235 Supporting Member

FWIW - I just bought another DD2, thinking my original was malfunctioning. If that isn't the case, I'll most likely try a TC Nova like @chrisr0712 and @Jimmy3Fingers recommended. That one looks really solid. And if THAT doesnt work, I'm just going to stick with my Echoplex.

2. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Boss stuff has worked well for me. DD-7 in particular, or the DD-3. If you can afford it, the TimeFactor is real nice.

3. Skreddy

Skreddy Supporting Member Vendor

Yeah, it sounds like it's your volume blasting the delay's input. I would recommend setting your gain pedals a bit closer to unity gain (a little boost is okay, but limit that to the amount of clean headroom that your delay pedal is capable of), and if you need a volume boost, use a clean boost after your delay. Also research whether or not your delay is capable of handling 18v power instead of 9; that will boost its headroom.

4. Abram4235

Good call on the voltage. Didnt think of that one. Thanks!

5. laurabaileysirishcre

laurabaileysirishcre Supporting Member

It is not a digital delay, but I always thought the El Capistan excelled at taking gain. Its one of the things I always liked and noticed about the pedal that I rarely experienced with other delays, when I was putting more gain through it I still was loving the El Capistan being on.

If you adjust the parameters, you can get fairly "clean" repeats.

6. mertay

mertay Member

I mostly play shred and must say my experience is mostly the sweet sounding delays (strymon, tape or expensive BBD stuff...) mostly didn't work for me. They just don't blend so well as in your experience.

But the budget-good stuff (boss dd-7 for typical digital delay or mxr carbon copy if you want reverb-like fullness) simply does the trick. I really liked the Boss DD-500 when demoed at a store and do want to try the Strymon DIG someday too...

Abram4235 likes this.
  7. 2tone

2tone Silver Supporting Member

Agree with Skreddy. His delay is also very good with fuzz's and gain. The DD2 should also work. The Cornish TES is one of the best for stability and headroom, and it's a DD@ with Pete's mods. I also like somewhat near unity to slightly above when running fuzz's and OD's into a delay. That will work with most of them..

8. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Man, my delay got rained on at a show last Friday, soaked and stopped working. I likely need to replace it.

9. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

I think the Nova Delay deals with high gain better than my Boss DD-20 did. I also noticed a clear improvement by using a Klotz Lagrange guitar cable instead of Monster 500 or others that I have traditionally used. Klotz has AMAZING clarity.

10. Abram4235

Ah what the hell, just bought the Nova as well. 110 on reverb in excellent cond with box etc, free shipping. Couldnt really pass it up. So I'll be comparing that and a (different) DD2 next week.

chrisr0712 likes this.
  11. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I have seen a couple of those Memory Lane Jr delays come up on craigslist this week.

Daytona57 and IbanezAS200 like this.
  12. Timanator

Timanator Member

Thats easy, timeliner.

13. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I hit my Strymon Brigadier with OD and fuzz (and OD-driven fuzz) with zero issues. -E

14. pup tentacle

pup tentacle Silver Supporting Member

Another suggestion for any version of Echolution 2... 18v of headroom, and my favorite digital delay. Also, the prices it can be found for make it a steal of a deal. If you want to go analog and money is no issue, the Moog 104m can take any level of gain you throw at it.

ThinPaperWings likes this.
  15. yellowbaloon

yellowbaloon Member

Are you running the DD-2 at 12V/ACA?

16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

17. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Not a digital delay, but it works!!

18. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

I had a learning curve with my BED regarding this. I found that for my current setup, where I was putting my BED into the FX loop, I had to turn up the amp's preamp and drop the master volume a tad to compensate. Getting that happy medium of my dry signal in the mix before the repeats took a bit of practice but I got it down now. Sorry the unit never worked out for you. It's definitely not an every day unit but once you find that sweet spot, BOOOOOOM.

I also found that it was easier to dial in their "mode 6" DMM setting for starting off. The repeats were darker and hence less "chirpy." Works great for the FX loop, possibly better than the EP-3 mode, which would make sense, since the EP-3 was designed to hit the front of the amp instead.

19. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I think you will enjoy the Nova Delay. It does run at 12v although you can use 9v and it work fine...just better headroom at the recommended 12v. I've used the DD2 also and while it is the standard for clean crisp digital delay, I like the option to tweak the tone of the repeats (+ add modulation if needed)

20. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

Mad professor deep blue delay takes gain wonderfully, even with ridiculous amounts of fuzz I find it never turns to mush

Holzar88 likes this.