@Digital Igloo, Helix help please

lessthan12

So, After driving myself nuts changing everything, cables,settings patches etc etc I though I had determined the noise issue I was having was my guitar. Turns out it's not, it is actually the Helix myself. I can't believe I went crazy trying everything...excpet my other guitars lol, as suggested by a friend. The first issue I'm having with a few of the amps is a strange bass warble sound. If you listen to the clip below(with headphones) you can hear it in between the stops, it almost sounds like bass flub "warbling" in between the stops. Thats the PV amp with the bass almost off. I've noticed it also happens with a few other high gain amps. Changing cabs, settings etc does not get rid of it.

My second noise issue and the most annoying, the squeal. You can hear this is the second clip. After changing everything in Helix I figured it was my Gibson. Turns out that squeal happens on both pups and is always the same pitch/frequency despite being on the bridge or neck pup. It also happens with 2 other guitars so I'm certain now that its the Helix. Any help is appreciated as Id rather not send it back because other than that, I think its great

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Have you messed with input impedance? And I assume you've messed with the deep parameters on the amp? hum, ripple, etc.?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, that was insightfulo_O I'm asking for help with an issue and your statement offers no such....
Again, the Helix is NOT the issue. The so-called warble between notes, which IMO is no issue at all, is you not being tight enough in your playing if anything. Sounds great to me. Totally negligible.

The squeal/ping thing is obviously something resonating in the guitar(s).

Tarkus

I can't hear the warble in the first example.

In the second example i'm almost certain that it's your guitar. Maybe try muting the strings in the headstock with a band or a hair scrunchy.

lessthan12

Again, the Helix is NOT the issue. The so-called warble between notes, which IMO is no issue at all, is you not being tight enough in your playing if anything. Sounds great to me. Totally negligible.

The squeal/ping thing is obviously something resonating in the guitar(s).
Again, since the issue is across all my guitars and the squeal DOESNT happen in my amps, it comes down to something in Helix

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Again, since the issue is across all my guitars and the squeal DOESNT happen in my amps, it comes down to something in Helix. And no need to take a jab at my playing in a clip that was recorded just to show the warble...kind of a douchebag comment. If you're not going to offer any kind of actual insight no need to open your mouth
Dude, I'm freaking complimenting your playing FFS, I say it sound great, and whatever issue you hear with your headphones is not something you need to worry about. Muting between notes are hard, and it not a jab at your playing at all. But then again, I don't hear any problem in your first clip at all, it sounds great as is.

lessthan12

Dude, I'm freaking complimenting your playing FFS, I say it sound great, and whatever issue you hear with your headphones is not something you need to worry about. Muting between notes are hard, and it not a jab at your playing at all. But then again, I don't hear any problem in your first clip at all, it sounds great as is.
rough day at work....lol. Reply fixed. BTW, just so we're all on the same page, the warble doesn't bother me too much, its that squeal. All 3 guitars and it doesn't happen on any amps so I have ruled out the guitars. Tried changing cords, all setting in the Helix and can't get it to go away

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
rough day at work....lol. Reply fixed
No worries man. Try the head band trick Tarkus mention, it very much sounds like a string above the headstock is resonating, I can't think of anything in a processor that can produce such a sound really, that would be bizarre.
Or tie a sock around your headstock, whatever you have handy. :)

lessthan12

No worries man. Try the head band trick Tarkus mention, it very much sounds like a string above the headstock is resonating, I can't think of anything in a processor that can produce such a sound really, that would be bizarre.
Or tie a sock around your headstock, whatever you have handy. :)
I had the input go bad in my Axe FX II that gave off some rather unpleasant sounds.I'll give that a shot tomorrow and see what happens. I'll try anything at this point.

Jason_A

How high do you have the gain and master turned up? I just plugged into my Helix and maxed out the PV model's gain and master, and quite honestly it sounded pretty bad... but I suspect that just what that amp sounds like when cranked. It made some pretty weird sounds. So maybe don't do that.

tjontheroad

Just Wanna Be Misunderstood
OP, how are recording these tracks? That squealing is most likely some type of feedback. Troubleshoot by separating the guitar from Helix. Do this by recording dry guitar directly into your recording device without using Helix. Then, run that recording through Helix. If the squeezing is gone away, it is caused by something other than Helix.

LeicaBossNJ

Gold Supporting Member
I know this may be taken the wrong way, but I hope the group doesn't start using the forum with the expectation that the staff at Line 6 will appear on demand to provide technical support.

Seen it before, and at some point it becomes too much.

Let's just interact with each other and be thankful for the times that the guys drop by to lend a hand.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
And if there is a problem with a Helix, the forum over at Line 6 is a better place to ask. L6ers all over the place there, and expert users and beta testers as well.

Trending Topics