Digital Modeling/Profiling Conundrum ~~~

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by enigma, Feb 19, 2012.

1. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

So, I have the funds and the coupon to buy the Axe-Fx2. The waiting period actually gave me some time to think about it. Then, just as I was about to pull the trigger, all these posts about Kemper gave me a big PAUSE.

In addition, exciting products coming out of Zoom (G3, G5, etc.) as well as other known brands stepping up their efforts in the digital market place have put me on the sidelines for now. Afterall, I and many still have and use perfectly capable tube amp technology with an array of pedals to do the job! Plus, I want to read more reviews for those road warriors who use Kemper.

If I were to sum it up for what I want from the digital world it is a product that emulates the "traditional" user-interface + the digital technology without resorting to a company forum to learn "how-to" do something via a piece-meal basis. Granted, such community support is invaluable and necessary.

I would buy Axe-Fx2 if it came out as a pedal-based model with a decent sized display (thus not having the need to resort to a computer for edit) and ROUND shaped dials, etc. Axe-Fx could learn quite a bit from Zoom and other brands that lack the advanced technology, but are way ahead with User Interface design. Perhaps, Fractal lacks man-power, financial capitalization and/or that its design philosophy does not value optimal user-interface design. Plus, if it incorporates "profiling" feature, then fractal would really become the creme de la creme.

Leaning towards Kemper at the moment, though tomorrow may find me in a different position. Thus, the conundrum ~~~

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  2. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Have you checked the " TONE MATCHING" clip posted today at the Fractal Forum? :)

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The only way to approach conundrums like this are to remove emotion from the decision making process and put the needs/wants on paper and then decide what fits you best (workflow included) and your budget.

With the demo from Cliff heralding "Tone Matching" it seems that the balancing point might be different than before it was posted... but that depends on what works for you and does not work for you.

I don't think you'll find your answer reading the 'buy what I bought' answers (like mine) that you'll get frankly; just sit down and decide on your end goal exactly the way it would be in an ideal situation and then map out the best way to get there that your budget allows.

4. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Wow! It's like Ali v. Frazier:) Just great for the customer!

5. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

To have it all!!! :) Seriously, I would like an interface "unit" (perhaps incorporated in the next gen MFC-101) that can edit the Axe-Fx without my computer. This would be most beneficial in a gig setting.

6. Scott Peterson

What do you need to do on the gig that you want to do that you imagine you cannot do now?

Folks seem to think you cannot 'tweak on the fly' but that's not true at all if you assign parameters you need to change on the fly to your MFC and some expression pedals.

Sincere question too; trying to understand so I can perhaps point out some things that aren't obvious on the surface.

7. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Let's say, after I've made all the assignments via Edit and to MFC-101. Then, live, I want to further tweak the settings. Of course, this can be done on the Axe, but, for me, I'd much PREFER to tweak and make changes (EQ, Vol, Drive, etc.) right on the MFC-101 IF it were available with dedicated displays. Check out Zoom G3 for reference.

Again, my wish-list for Axe-Fx is a change in User Interface paradigm.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  8. tgp100

tgp100 Member

Well, no one is immune to bias, but the Kemper can do what the Axe and other modellers can't.
    Just use the Kemper A/B comparison button. See the youtube videos and reviews.
    Getting the exact same tone as the real tube amp is extremely important for some.
    That might also be important in your decision.

9. Scott Peterson

Just do it with expression pedals and use your ears. That's what I do. I change the EQ, volume, drive, mix and more for virtually everything (and tap tempo to) with the MFC and 3 expression pedals.

10. drew7000

drew7000 Member

I'm impressed by both the amp modeling in the Axe and the Kemper.

However, the AXE FX has fantastic sounding effects as well.

Kemper is also still new. Not sure how long they last.

If it were me, I would probably go with the AXE. I doubt you would be unhappy with either purchase.

Also, I'll be the first to admit it: The Kemper is freaking ugly. I would have preferred a rack-mountable Kemper.

11. drew7000

drew7000 Member

12. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

13. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I figured that's how it's done now. BTW, as a beta tester, what's your wish-list on the MFC-101? I'm thinking it might be due for an update of some sort.

14. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

A while ago I posted that if profiling could be added to the current platform it would be a positive development. Now that we are on the verge of seeing that happen, in a thankfully uniquely Fractal way, my new mantra will be a call to have the Quick Contol knobs function as smooth and linear volume, treble, middle, and bass knobs when in Recall mode. The Output Level knobs would still control overall levels but the Quick Controls would be used to adjust an individual preset on the fly.

I think this would answer the concerns of so many players, and while I know less than nothing about what it would take to make this happen, it's hard to imagine that it can't be done.

I know that much can be accomplished with expression pedals and ultimately, when on stage or during rehearsals, that may be a far better solution, but I can't begin to stress how much players would be jumping for joy if that feature was added.

Many people have repeatedly stated how much the traditional knobs were appreciated in the KPA and the 11 Rack. I think it's a logical development for the Axe II and would eliminate one of the last issues that many consider a deal breaker with a (hopefully) simple function adjustment.

15. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Give the people what they want/need! :mob :)

16. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I also learned from the Fractal site that the Axe, Axe Edit and the MFC-101 do not automatically sync with each other. Scott, is it true?

17. Scott Peterson

The Axe-FX automatically syncs with the MFC. If you do something on the MFC... the Axe-FX does it.

If you change something on the front of the Axe-FX, the MFC does not know that you did anything - the Axe-FX doesn't update the status of blocks to the MFC... no. The MFC is a midi controller after all; it's got a proprietary "Axe-FX mode" but it is still just a midi controller.

The Axe-FX syncs automatically to Axe-Edit; if have them hooked up then whatever you do in the editor happens in real time on the Axe-FX.

At this point the MFC and the editor do not work with each other in any manner.

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

IMHO, if you want to hit the ground running day one with the complete package as of RIGHT NOW the II is answer. I LOVE the KPA, but it's just not done yet.

19. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

I just visited and registered on the KPA site, and would agree with you. My leaning is now back towards the Axe-Fx2, but will wait until Axe-AxeEdit-MFC-101 all sync together.

20. enigma

enigma Supporting Member

Do you know if Fractal is in the works for this? Thanks for the quick response as always!:aok