Digital Pedal Makers - Why not release plugins?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jondom22, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Cynical.

FokenBusker likes this.
  2. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

Guitar players aren't stupid for not wanting to drag along a four figure laptop alongside their guitar, amp, pedalboard et al. Pedals that don't require a computer to tweak them are perfect for the needs of most musicians. If you want the Arena Rock spectacle with enormously high budget production and a team of guitar and comp techs, be my guest. I'm happy with my pedals. Knobs are always better than a USB or Wifi (YUCK) connection.

Vhailor likes this.
  3. jondom22

jondom22 Supporting Member

Not sure if you read my OP, but it wasn’t about playing guitar per se, it was about using some of the sounds of digital pedals, specifically granular synthesis and glitch effects, for the purposes of sound design and mixing for film/tv/commercial (my day job), as well as for music composition. Considering that those of us who work in the field, as well as composers, use tons of plugins every day while working within Pro Tools and other DAWs, I don't see how it would be any different to use plugins that are developed by companies who also make hardware (ie guitar pedals) or companies who solely make plugins.

Now if we're talking about playing guitar and writing, I also enjoy just playing pedals without a computer as well as pedals without presets or midi etc. I find this to always be a great way to create new sounds, riffs, progressions and ideas, and sometimes I'll just hit record on a tape player or my phone to save and come back to when further fleshing out. But that's a different discussion than the one I posted.

4. jondom22

@FokenBusker I think you also missed the point of my original post. Please read the message I posted right above this. I'm not talking about playing guitar. Talking about post-production sound design and mixing for film/tv and music, both areas where we work within DAWs every day. Guitar playing is a different discussion.

5. Madsen

Madsen Member

On the other end of the spectrum i've heard rumor that Scope DSP "plugins" have been adapted to other formats like pedals & eurorack modules. Maybe it's easier to go the other way.

6. FokenBusker

FokenBusker Member

My apologies. Also, my original statement wasn't directed at you. I was responding to the person who spouted unfounded vitriol about Digitech.

7. jondom22

All good my dude, I figured it was just in general. Just wanted to redirect the thread back to the OP. For the record, I love digitech stuff too : ) I miss my original digidelay from back in the day.

FokenBusker likes this.
  8. polyexpressive

polyexpressive Vendor

I started making plugins and synths many years ago. Physical stuff is more fun for me now days and doing a separate GUI would take some time. It's just me building Digit so I can't take any time away from soldering. I'll also be working on the other pedal I showed at winter NAMM which is digital control but analog signal path. That's much harder to port...

Not Orange likes this.