Digital players advice

Discussion in 'Home Audio (Stereo Systems)' started by Mr Boggie, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

Currently I use a laptop into mydac to play hi res files through jriver. Sounds great but a bit of a pain to boot up laptop etc, it crashes etc.

Been looking at digital players like Bryson Pi or bluesoubd or innuous mini. Anyone had luck with these?

2. Badfinger

Badfinger Silver Supporting Member

I've had a Bluesound Vault for a couple of years now, love it. The interface (IOS, Adroid, Windows) is great, lots of storage (2 TB extendable) and had direct interface to streaming services, radio stations, HDTracks, etc. From a network standpoint, its recognized as just another network drive, so all the files are easily accessible for copying, moving, etc. It's so easy to load my Android devices now, just copy from the Vault drive. It gets great reviews for the quality of the DAC.
    The only downsides I've experienced are
    1) ripping cds can be hit or miss. Some cds it will abort on. Bluesound support says its due to the strict quality control the ripper has, I've even had some new cds fail to rip. I ripped, over a couple of months, around 600 cds, probably had a 90% success rate on ripping. When a cd fails to rip, I just rip from an external cd drive and move MP3 files to the Vault. Not as good as .flac, but close. I'm sure there is a way to rip cds into .flac format, I just haven't investigated that yet.
    2) it takes some file manipulation if you want the catalog to be complete and accurate. You will become proficient with a tag editor to manipulate some of your imported music. I moved a lot of MP3 and W4m files from iTunes to the catalog, some of the tags needed some attention, such as labeling every song with album and artist info. I suspect its like that with any music server tho, you have to make sure the data is clean in order for it to display correctly in the interface.
    3) the Vault has to have an ethernet connection to your router / modem, doesn't work wirelessly. The PowerNode and Node do not need it, but the vault has to be placed near the router to work.

I've recently discovered the plethora of radio stations available to stream, including local stations where I grew up, which is kind of cool. I also have a PowerNode, which essentially streams music from the Vault to another location in my house. It works well as an integrated system.
    Overall, I love it. I recently went 'vintage' with my equipment, getting an old Kenwood integrated amplifier, turntable and Advent and Avid speakers. It's nice to have a bit of modern technology mixed in with the vintage stuff.

3. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

That was an awesome response- thank you.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Fiio X5
    Glorious sounding.

5. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

As an update - I got my hands on a bluesound node 2 streamer. As a streamer it’s awesome - tidal has been good so far. I tried plugging a USB drive into my home network modem. The rest of my devices can see the content but not the node. I can’t get the \\myetwork path to read the drive, but can see it easily on pc or phone. That said when I plug it into back of node 2 - I can see it fine after it reindexes

6. Badfinger

Badfinger Silver Supporting Member

I guess I'm not surprised that the Node won't recognize a network drive, it would make the expensive Vault unnecessary! So the USB drive contents become available to the Node after reindex? That is interesting, I assumed the Vault had to be in the mix in order to plug in a USB drive. BTW, Bluesound tech support is really great, they are fairly quick in replying to messages, and stick with you until the issue is resolved.

7. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

Oh I just plug it in the back of the node USB, it does reindex but is quite quick. With tidal mixing the USB, with tidal is really cool. I’m quite impressed overall. My plan is to get some of the room stuff going.

8. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

9. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

Another Node 2 fan. With Tidal, Roon and my library on a NAS, I’m set. I do run the N2 to my Benchmark DAC with outstanding results, but that takes you at a different price point altogeather.

10. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

I use a Bryston BDP-3 and a BDA-3
    They are simply stellar.

Rex Anderson likes this.
  11. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

Whoowee, that's some nice stuff!

I have used a lot of Bryston amps and preamps over the past several decades. Many versions of the 4B amp.

Currently have an SP2 for surround and a 3B SST2 for main L/R speakers.

Great company, great products.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  12. vds5000

vds5000 Member

I dropped by their head office in Peterborough Ontario a few weeks ago to get some warranty work done. Brian (President) was very personable with a great sense of humor. Their products are great and the way they stand behind their products is very impressive.

13. Uncle Mike

Uncle Mike Supporting Member

Would love to get a Bryston Surround processor.
    I also picked up the headphone amp to pair with the Bdp3 and BDA3.

Need to recover a bit.

14. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Anyone try Deezer as a streaming source? It may still only be available in the US with Sonos, not sure. It is all
    .FLAC, but the genre streams leave a little to be desired, like how blues devolves to R&B, hip hop rather quickly. That's my only complaint. The sound is wonderful. This whole streaming business is great for someone who can't seem to take care of albums, tapes, CDs, etc.