Digital Recording Advice

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by clarkram, Jun 22, 2004.

1. clarkram

clarkram Member

I plan on picking up a compact digital recording studio workstation in the near future and I am looking for advice/feedback on:
    Korg D1200 mkII or the D1600

Boss BR 1600

Tascam 2488

I am looking for something that is user friendly with on board CDRW. These units seem to run 1,000 to 1,400. I do not want to go the PC route for recording.

Anyone have advice or experience with these types of units?

Clark

2. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Member

Clark, I was curious why you were shying away from PC recording?

3. clarkram

clarkram Member

Mick,
    I am basically computer illiterate. I have been a manager for over 20 years and a senior manager for the last 4 years, so I have always had subordinates to do whatever was necessary. I just had to review the outputs and make decisions.

It may be that I have to go the PC route and force myself to learn.

In either case I will have plenty of time to learn since I will be retiring in 9 weeks. HURRAY!!!!

Clark

BTW, while I don't have many computer skills I am very well versed in corporate tax law and that is how I survived in my work. Don't really need a computer to read a statute and determine how to administer it.

4. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I'm with you on this one Clark. I have been thinking about the same units as you. I just want something simple that sounds good to record my playing. Some guy's have put up some clips around here with these type of units that sound great. Lou V comes to mind. He use's a little Boss and gets killer tones.

5. dash_doc

dash_doc Member

Clark,

I can't be of direct help, but I own a Boss BR8. I'm sure that the units are similar in operation. I love the BR8 for is ease of use, I to am computer recording fobic, although for different reasons. I'm a techno geek by trade and I simply cannot play guitar and work with a computer at the same time, if I attempt it after five minutes the guitar is on the stand and I'm messing around tweeking the computer.

The Boss COSM modeling and built in effects are good in the BR8 and I'm sure are improved in the BR1600. The main issue I have with the BR8 is the inability to edit the drum patterns but I think the BR1600 allows editing.

6. clarkram

clarkram Member

whew, at least I'm not the only guy who wants to shy away from PC recording. The drummer I play with has a nice PC recording set up but I would prefer the self contained digital mixer/recorder set up.
    Thanks for your comments.

Clark

7. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Member

You lucky rascal !!! I am sooooo jealous :rolleyes:

I personally love PC recording, but I have to admit that I've worked with computers for so long that it is just second nature for me to go that route. As far as the learning curve, I would imagine it would be about the same with a PC or a self contained unit. The thing I like going the PC route is that it is not as limiting as a fixed unit. I can't really offer any advice on the self contained units since I don't use them, but if you ever decide to go the PC route I'd be glad to share what I know in that direction. Good luck with your quest....and retirement!

8. clarkram

clarkram Member

thanks Mick, I will definitely take you up on offering advice if I go the PC route.

BTW Thorn 49 looks like another Thorn masterpiece!!!

Clark

9. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Member

Thanks! I'm really starting to anxious about the guitar. It's been a long wait since last August but it seems like things are starting to come together now. I think (or hope that) #49 is one of the guitars in paint right now. I know the neck is done. I suppose it's down to clear coating the body, attaching the neck and installing the electronics.

Good luck on your recording equipment quest.