Digital/tablet controlled mixers

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bob-i, Feb 10, 2015.

1. bob-i

bob-i Member

I recently left a band where the soundman we used mixed from a Presonus mixer. My favorite feature was that I could control my own monitor mix from my iPad, simple interface and very intuitive.

My newest project uses an older Mackie 1604. Some downsides are that we have limited monitor control, only one prefader monitor mix and of course running the snake and wiring is a hassle.

I'm thinking of investing in a digital mixer and have been reading reviews, and looking at the interfaces. The only interface where I've seen the monitor mix is PreSonus. I've looked at QSC touchmix, Behringer X mix and Mackie master fader.

I've been a fan of Mackie for years, my old 1604 even lived through a snifter of brandy, my 1402 has been running for many years without glitches. Behringer quality has alway been questionable, QSC has a good rep, Presonus also are great, but the mixer is fairly large and cumbersome.

I have no doubt that Mackie Presouns and QSC will all do the job, the Behringer product isn't out yet.

What is everyone's take on the user interface?

2. griggsterr

griggsterr Member

QSC says they have multiple monitor mixes from Iphone or Ipad in their very latest firmware upgrage. If not, Presonus is the only one I know of to offer that feature.
    not really great sounding mixers mind you but IF you have to have that feature, Then the presonus might be it for you. DO have a look a the latest release from QSC

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it's hard to find a new digital mixer format that doesn't have multiple monitor mixes tweakable by iphone.

4. AnthonyStauffer

AnthonyStauffer Member

Had a chance to see the new Mackie DL32R at NAMM, and was quite smitten. Just wish I had a use for it. 10 simultaneous users that can be locked down to only messing with the mix to a certain output pair. Foolproof, even for drummers... kidding of course :)

http://dl32r.mackie.com/

5. bob-i

bob-i Member

Wow, that looks amazing, however it's way overkill for what I need.

We run...

5 vocals
    2-3 drum
    Guitar
    Bass
    Keys
    Sax
    Occasionally brass mic's

16 mic's ins are plenty

6. Badside

Badside Member

The Behringer X Air does it AND works with Android too (not everyone has an iPhone in my band).

Their app is already out if you want to check it out (monitor sends are called Bus in it). The way I understand it, one device can control the master mix, and up to 8 devices can control individual buses (aka self monitor mix)

This is a great time to be using IEMs

7. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

A
    Check out the Presonus RM16AI

16 XLR in
    8 aux outs
    Mix via iPad, Mac or Win8 tablet computer
    $1600 I believe, you also need an iPad and router.

[​IMG]

I just picked up the RM32AI last month. Love it.

[​IMG]

8. bob-i

bob-i Member

I see individual AUX mixes in the app. I've never had great success with Behringer, usually cheaply built and very fragile, plus this hasnt even hit the stores yet.

9. Moxsam

Moxsam Member

I'm in the market for a digital mixer too and have been doing lots of research.

The Behringer XR-18 so far is the front runner but probably because it's not out yet and nobody has had a chance to discover the bugs yet. :) From what I'm told it's a mini X32 and those seem to be a great seller and people are happy with them. I have zero experience with Behringer so I can't speak to their quality just that I've heard the company has sort of "turned the corner" in the past few years.

10. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

Soundcraft siExpression is great. 14 aux busses, full control of faders, effects, EQ, from remote. iPad/iPhone only. There is a demo version on the Soundcraft website.

11. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

Bob-

Seems Behringer has upped their Q control with their new line. I know, crazy right?

12. bob-i

bob-i Member

It still appears to be in a cheepy plastic box, time will tell.

I'm also concerned about not having a wired control surface. If the wifi dies you have no control. I guess I can bring a laptop and an Ethernet cable so strike that.

13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Not considering the Mackie DL1608?

14. ceeinwa

ceeinwa Member

I believe the XR series (12, 16, 18) are metal or mostly metal cases. IIRC, the X18 (tablet mixer?) is more plastic than metal.

It's not a long video, and I wasn't paying attention to that the first time I watched it.

15. Badside

Badside Member

You can use a hardwired MIDI controller as well. They sell some of course.

The new Soundcraft stagebox also works with Android as it's browser based. I think they only announced 8 and 12 XLR models though. I'm sure a 16 is coming.

16. Badside

Badside Member

I'm the first one to throw to Behringer under the train at the first occasion, but those XR are really appealing. I have a love/hate relationship with the X32. On one hand it packs a lot of stuff in an affordable (for a 32 channel digital mixer) package, on the other hand novice sound guy who have no clue how to use it have become legion. They match them to crappy PAs and monitors, overuse compression and gating and them run everything so hot (analog habits die hard) that headroom is gone.

But a friend of mine who actually makes his living doing live sound swears by them and he always sounds great.

For what I do I wouldn't be afraid to use the XR. The only boards to ever fail on me have been by Soundcraft and Mackie.

17. ceeinwa

ceeinwa Member

I bet those novice "engineers" would do that no matter what desk they are working on. Digico SD7? Same result, the desk just has SD7 on the side. :cool:

18. bob-i

bob-i Member

Funny, I throw Behringer under the bus myself. I've only owned one Behringer mixer and it went up in smoke on the first gig, then the replacement went up in smoke so I bought a Mackie. I've never seen a Mackie fail.

A friend of mine uses a soundcraft analog mixer, what a POS. It's almost impossible to not run it too hot.

I may just try the Behringer, but it's not out yet so I have time to do the research.

19. Badside

Badside Member

For sure, but before the X32 these guys couldn't afford a full fledged digital mixer so they didn't screw up my IEM mix with aggressive gating on vocal mics and heavy compression. I have no idea what they're doing, but when you start singing and it takes half a second for sound to come out, someone is using the gate wrong.

I have seen what an X32 can do in the proper hands, and if the XR is based on the same analog circuits and DSP I won't be afraid to buy one.

20. bob-i

bob-i Member

It's in the running.