1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Digital Transmitter / Buffer friendly Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Zeraus, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Zeraus

Zeraus Member

Hello there.

I want to dive into the fuzz world. I have been reading about how some fuzzes react badly to buffers, while others do not.

My board has a XDS95 Digital Wireless receiver at the first position, with an output impedance of 1.8K Ohm. I believe it puts out a buffered signal.

If thats true, I need advice to choose a Digital Transmitter / Buffer friendly Fuzz, so I can avoid the common buffer related tone problems.

Also, I have a RMC3 Wah early on the chain, and I am not sure if the fuzz should go before or after it

I understand that there are 3 basic families of fuzz: Face, Tonebender and Muff. And that the first two must interact with the guitars volume pot and pickups.

So, Muff type pedals are my only options? What good choices do I have amongst them? Should it be placed before or after the RMC3?

Thanks in advance.

2. Zeraus

Zeraus Member

Sometimes silence is an answer.
    Big Muff it is, I guess.

3. angrytroll

angrytroll Member

you are thinking too deep into this.

4. ZeroChan

ZeroChan Member

You're on the right track. Muffs are buffer-friendly. Fuzz faces lose their characteristic cleanup ability with a buffer before it. Likewise with tonebenders, although mine doesn't cleanup very nicely anyway.

5. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

Someone makes what's effectively an "un-buffer" pedal... but I can't remember just now who it is. That'd let you use any fuzz in your rig.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

How about getting rid of the wireless, then using anything you want to try?