Digital Workstation or USB Audio Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Nighttrain, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Supporting Member

OK, I'm new to home recording (though I've done a good amount of studio recording), and can't decide which is a better road to go down for me. I need something to record either to my laptop (audio interface -- needs to be USB) or a stand alone digital workstation that has 1.) No latency issues and 2.) Had nice mic pres. I only record my guitars and voice (no midi), and don't need more than 2 tracks recording at once (but I need those two).

I tried out digital workstations about 3 or 4 years ago and loved the idea of them, but couldn't lay down a simple dry track without tons of 'built in' chorus, compression and delay. They also didn't sound so great. I've recently tried a borrowed MBox 2 into my laptop (using Pro Tools, and more recently, Reaper) with really annoying latency issues that I can't ever really dial out (even with asio drivers and low buffers, etc). Here's what I've been looking at:

Boss BR-600 -- simple, small and gets great reviews. No Phantom power, though -- and I'm not sure about the mic pre quality.
    Zoom HD8CD -- has more of the features I need, but is more money and again -- does it sound good and is it easy to use (again, I don't want to record with the built in effects most of the time)?
    Lexicon Lambda -- Seems to get decent reviews, but how is the latency monitoring?
    Toneport UX2 -- Lots of nice features, and seems to address latency, but does it sound good?

I'm also looking at M-Audio's Fast Track Pro - which seems similar to the Lambda. So do any of these options (or others you all might know about) address my issues well? Does latency really depend more on your PC/Soundcard than the interface (which is what I'm afraid of)?

Thanks for all the help!!

2. Nighttrain

Nighttrain Supporting Member

OK, I'm an idiot -- the laptop I have also has a firewire port. So I'm now thinking about the M-Audio Firewire 410 or the Presonus Firebox. Thoughts?