DigiTech: a new hope?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by burningyen, Feb 6, 2012.

1. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

For those of you like me who have given up on DigiTech, in this HC thread one of their reps drops a couple of nuggets that suggest some interesting things in the works:

2. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

:dude I think something is up, the iStomp might just be a market test.

3. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Awesome! I love Digitech but they have fallen behind in the modeling race. I have decided to get some stomp boxes and wait on the floor modeler for a bit. Glad I did. I love the organic tone of Digitech more than other companies modeling. A nexgen RP1000 would be worth the wait.

4. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

You asked him if they were working on new rp products and he said yes. :)

Just have to wait and see....

5. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

I tried to get him to give any info on a GSP successor but he is tight lipped. I understand why but it would be nice to know if they are on it or not. I don't need details (yet).

Not that the current (C63) GSP needs much but it would be cool to have a really good harmonizer, the ability to use 2 FX and 2 delays, and deeper editing. The current modeling is not bad with aftermarket cab IRs but better is always good.
    A rear panel input would be excellent also.

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

harping about quality harmonizer in less than $500 unit is just not happening. it takes lots of resource to do good harmonizers. instead of better harmonizer i rather see better cab modeling and use those resources fro better amp models. they even said at mbb site to improve harmonizer require most of the processors. :huh

7. desdinova

desdinova Member

Harman has about the best harmonizer tech in the industry at this point. It wouldn't be difficult to implement a subset, really, of what they have in a future GSP.

The amp sims are another matter...

Sorry, but I have to disagree that the amp sims in the current (C63) GSP can complete with what's in the market right now. They lack the dynamics and depth that the 11R or even the POD HD offer. Cab IRs availability has nothing to do with it. I admit, perhaps if I played very high gain oriented, or very clean music, I'd probably have no problem with them. As it stands, always IMO, Digitech's amps sims are in dire need of a rewrite. Perhaps using a faster processor (or more of them) could make things easier for Digitech's engineers.

I agree on the need for a more flexible effects routing (more effect instances, etc).

8. ibanez270

ibanez270 Member

^^^^11r or pod Really!! Your to funny:)

9. stratchamp57

stratchamp57 Member

Funny, because I thought the harmonized in the rp355 was crap.

10. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

Indeed!

Nobody knows how fast or powerful those audio dna2 processors are and I am sure that the next gen GSP will probably include the next gen processors. I would expect a very significant jump in power.

11. _pete_

_pete_ Supporting Member

I dunno. I spent some time with the HD500 and was not impressed at all. I didn't care for the fx and never could get the amps sounding right to me. I'm not a Line 6 fan anyway.
    The 11R is good but seemed limited to me. There are things I needed it to do that it couldn't.
    The GSP amp sims got much better when the ability to use quality IR's was added. The stock cabs were the weakest link.

The only modeler on the market with the features to do what I need other than the GSP is the Axe II and it is out of my budget for now.
    I have my GSP dialed in real well and I can hang with it for as long as need be.

12. mattball826

mattball826 Member

they wont have a new gsp or other since they just did the ipb and want to run with it. its repackaged rp firmware for an ipad.

problem for them again is they get beat out by line 6 and now boss. so how many will be waiting in line for new gsp after they switch companies or even go to higher end market for modeling.

my guess is this ios and maybe even the licensing of that stuff took beating on their budget, so anything else was halted.

maybe should go back to mustbebeta and ask stan to do that entire gsp rewrite.

13. desdinova

desdinova Member

Can you specify exactly how "I'm funny" please? Any actual arguments besides trolling?

14. desdinova

desdinova Member

I'm not speaking of the sound of a preset, or any useability features. But rather the feel, dynamics, detail and depth of the core amp sims. Personal taste is another matter, but IMO those (more contemporary) modelers are much better on the above qualities.

15. mattball826

mattball826 Member

many digitech long term users suggested they do something like this.

do a series of single space rack units.

one unit made is for amp and cab modeling. use all processor resources to do this best possible.
    why? is great for recording or live! you can add pedal effects or any racks effects or whatever you have in your daw plugins.

rack effects processor. in single space. now you can use with current preamp modeler or any other preamp or guitar amp loop you wish.

extended effects rack module. for fancy deeper process effects and harmonizers.

last rack space you can make your interface. only if you want a proprietary one. then maybe you can partner with uad for better sound instead of apple gimicks.

make these compatible with control 2 or other midi

if still stuck on ios, make it integrate not required.

there you go digitech. plain and simple mid priced units to fill needs of many situations. instead of getting all involved with ios and apple junk do something that is more inclusive for all guitarists.

16. Stike

Stike Member

Yes to all but it REALLY needs to work with the Control 2!

17. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

I'll believe it when I see it. Seems like their immediate concern is their iPhone stuff. With the Zoom upping the ante at the lower price points, the release of the GT-100 and HD500's continual firmware upgrades at the ~$500 mark, and 11r and Peavey's MuseBox hitting the ~$1000 range Digitech is going to have a very hard time cutting into the market unless they really do something phenomenal.

18. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Sounds like the Digitech rep is confirming their continued support of iCrap to me.
    -
    Austin

19. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

This would be killer!

20. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

Sold off the GSP to buy a Pod HD500... 2 months and about 6 shows later I went running back to the GSP. The HD500 was Line 6's incomplete technology catch up to the GSP. The GSP lept years ahead of Line6's POD 1.0,2.0,xt,x3 tech.

Anything from them that is rack mountable better by god be Control 2 compatible.