Digitech Bad Monkey vs Screaming Blues

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sgguitarzz, Jul 26, 2006.

1. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

Just curious as to who has used or owns both of these pedals and how they compare.

2. n8b

n8b Member

The Bad Monkey works great as a boost or a low-mid gain smooth overdrive. The Screamin Blues has a lot more treble (I usually have is all the way down to try to match with the Bad Monkey), more gain, and has a slight scoop in the mids. At certain settings I can get both pedals to sound the same, but they are good at different things.

3. craggan

craggan Member

Bad Monkey = TS-9
    Screamin Blues = Boss BD-2 w/more treble ..

so I have found.

I use it sometimes, treble has to be completely off, but it dopes replicate the Boss Blues Driver ..

4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

I love the Bad Monkey :)

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Ehh, for $40 yeah sure why not. But didn't really do anything for me and my rig. Same thing for the Classic 30 I own, loved it at first, great for the money.....but now it's ehhh....looking for a much better tone.

6. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

At 2 different GC's, I have the same experience, the BM alone is fine, good OD sound, then turn it off, and the Screamin' Blues on, and it's like 10x the volume, not just treble, but mids too, not subtle at all. Appears much louder and gainier than a BD-2 which I've owned.

Then turn off the SB, and back to the BM, and the BM seems anemic ??

7. himey77

himey77 Member

The problem with the Bad Monkey is that, to ME, it will always be a "great pedal for the money." But in my experience, you get what you pay for.

The BM sounds kind of "harsh" with my Fender and my Marshall. I definitely roll off some treble on the pedal itself.

YMMV

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I ahve both but haven't used either for a long time. I first bought the Screamin' Blues, liked it at home, but felt it kinda got buried in the mix. I was always adjusting it too. I had a fondness for it though.

Recently bought the BM and also liked it, except, for me one benchmark I like to check is how it sounds overdriven with chords (Keith Richard style for example) and there I felt like the SB was a lot clearer.

But, I just bought a MJM BLues Devil, and use a SHO and a Zendrive, and I am WAY too happy with those to think about using the others. I keep them, and will certainly use them from time to time, most probably for recording. Or have one in another room for practice, etc.

They are good pedals. Gotta say, for a little bit more money, I think the BEST thing Digitech has come out with for a while, OD-wise, is the yellow X-series "Tone Drive", check it out next time you are in the store. They usually have them in a "display pedalboard" ready to go, with all the other X-series. To me that "Tone Driver" is pretty damned good. I have that as one of the main OD's on my seconddary mini-pedalboard.

9. sgguitarzz

sgguitarzz Supporting Member

Thanks for all the replies. Stompbox, can you tell me what kind of sound the Tone Driver has.

10. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's capable of "modelling" several different variations of tubescreamers.

It's best just to read up on it...I personally couldn't care less what they are trying to emulate, I just tweak the "Morph" control, and the tone controls and gain to taste, and I find REALLY nice sounds (in no time flat I could easily get a good SRV-like tone... which blew me away) all over the dials, several positions.

Read about it here: http://www.digitech.com/products/tonedriver.htm

Which basically says: We found that three was the perfect number of distortion pedals to start with. Each one utilizes DigiTech’s® exclusive multi-distortion technology, which gives you a near endless supply of distortion types compared to single distortion pedals found elsewhere.
    The three distortion pedals include the Metal Master™ for those who lean strongly towards head-banging for a living, the Hot Rod™ which delivers powerful, but smooth rock distortion, and the Tone Driver™ for guitarists who live for overdrive crunch.
    Each distortion stompbox features a huge range of different distortion types that can be morphed into different combinations as you rotate our exclusive Distortion Morph knob. This gives you a near unlimited supply of combinations. Now, you are no longer stuck with only one distortion type in a pedal.
    But that’s not all. There are two outputs, one for normal signal out, and one that features advanced cabinet modeling for live and recording direct-to-board applications. And instead of the standard stompbox tone controls, we’ve even incorporated our innovative spectral-contouring EQ, which delivers a far greater tone range than other distortion stompboxes.
    [​IMG]Overdrive morphing[​IMG]Spectral-contouring EQ[​IMG]Normal & CIT™ Cabinet Modeling outputs

You can read Use Reviews of it here:http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/DigiTech/X-Series+Tone+Driver/10/1

Actually....on teh Digitech page, check out the Demo, it is nicely done (you can turn the effect on or off to hear dry or wet while it plays) but I don't think it really does full justice to what I hear out of it.

11. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

thanks for the detailed info.

So where does this "Tone Driver" fit in with the DF7 which attempts to cover many different types of pedals? I've had the DF7 for about a year and like you, just play with the knobs to get good tones, I don't attempt to have it model any of those pedals though I do have some and have had all of them at some point.

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry...I'm really not familiar with the DF-7.

At least here in Norway, they have the Digitech X-series loaded display pedalboards in many music stores, all ready to test out. Next time you're in one, just give it a test drive and see what you think. Since I don't know the DF-7, it's possible you already have something just like this, but if not it is a nice little addition.

Some of the settings can sound a little harsh on chords, but it can be dialed out or minimized. I don't use it on my main pedalboard (instead using a Zendrive and a Blues Devil, also an SHO) but I do have it semi-permanently on my secondary band pedalboard...because it is a smaller board, and the Tone Driver is so versatile it is really useful for that.

13. el34power

el34power Member

I think the DF-7 was the next step to the Tone driver. I don't really see a use or both "stacked" that is. I could see the Blues as a boost to the DF-7 that, IMO lacks volume. I kind of likr the 250 setting on the DF-7. Boost it with a clean boost for solos, you get a good result.