Digitech Crossroads "Badge" sound experience

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by PSaulino, Feb 2, 2006.

1. PSaulino

PSaulino Silver Supporting Member

Hi,

Grabbed one of these from a local retailer with the caveat that I might be bringing it back. Interested only in the Badge sound leslie sim, I figured it was worth a shot, but for 149 bucks it had better be good.

Well, here's the deal. I think it has one of the BEST Leslie sims, mono or stereo, that I've ever heard PERIOD. I've tried the Dynacord, DLS, Voce, etc. They all were nice in fast mode, too chorusy in slow mode. This one is better, IMO, very cool, Bealtlesque tone. Note that it's the "Badge" mode ONLY that I use the pedal, the rest of the sims sound like crap. Fast or slow, and it sounds good even mono. Surprising. In stereo it's really great.

At first I thought it had major tone suckage when bypassed, but I checked it and rechecked it using a true bypass pedal, and there is a very slight, if at all difference (slight comoression/slightly less highs). I say slight, it's barely noticeable, and I already have a very bright rig so it does not matter (pairt of GT SO45s).

But here's the real rub - when engaged, it adds significant high end to your signal, making it kinda of harsh. I can compensate by turning my guitar's tone knob down to 4-5, and there it sounds 'freakin UNBELIEVABLE. That's manageable me, I can still used this thing live to great effect. AT home, played the bridge to "Badge", the bridge to "It Don't Come Easy", "I Want You (Shes's So Heavy)", "Angel"... these all vary speed and pickup selection, more or less OD too.

I dont like the OD inherent in the pedal, this is no doubt where the harshness is coming from.At just above unity gain, the sound is pretty chimey. Like I said, adjusting your tone control compensates well. I added a BD-2 with the gain at 12:00 in front and it sounded GREAT... as long as you turn down your tone knob.

It may be a platform for one of these guys (Brian - INdyguitarist?) to mod.Thinking that the mod angle might be a simple cap/resistor hard wired into the pedal (at the input jack perhaps? Not sure where) to simulate the guitar tone knob being turned down half way.

Otherswise, it's pretty good as is! I think I'll keep it.
    For now ;-)

P.

2. Bloomfield fan

Bloomfield fan Silver Supporting Member

Thanks for your review, as I had just signed on to post the question on everyones thoughts on that very patch.

3. PSaulino

Yeah, curiosity got the better of me and I caved in to my itch and bought it. Since I've metaphorically scratched all of you itches, you should all donate to my "urge fund" heh heh...

Upon further review, I really do like this patch/pedal. It just needs to be "warmed up" tone wise. A common complaint really about all digital effects. Cool thing about this is that there is some percieved "motion" going on, even in mono mode. A swirl that does not sound fake. It has almost a Univibey/phasey/tremelo/vibrato quality to it, NOT chorus. Other drawback is that there is no ramp or brake effect, one speed, that's it. It does what it's supposed to though.

P.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

yeah. interesting review. Isn't it going to bug you though having to adjust so much to the pedal,AND having virtually a ME type pedal and only having one good thing (even if EXCELLENT) that you feel is usable?

It's cool if you can live with it, I think it would bug me no end...

5. Craise

Craise Member

Isn't this very patch in the New Digitech EX-7 Expression Factory? I think so...might be the way to go if the rest if the clapton patches suck. Or at least worth checking into. :)

6. drolling

drolling Member

But hey, SBB.. Remember the 80s (my own recollections are thankfully murky at this point) when EVERYBODY had a refrigerator sized rack jammed with winkin & blinkin multi-effectors, but they ONLY used the delay one one, the reverb on another, the chorus on the next one...

..and EACH of these individual units were goin for waay more than a hundred and fortynine bucks!?!

7. PSaulino

DOn't get me wrong, it does sorta bug me too, but the deal is that I've been trying to achieve this tone for a very long time (me and everybody else), but boiling it down, I don't think that turning your tone knob is having to adjust "too much". I'll use it on maybe 1/5th of the material we play live as my role as a "dual" lead/rhythm guitar player is to assume the keyboard parts more so than the guitar (that's the other guy). This thing is cool for that. I don't likke having to bend over change speeds (that sucks really) , but I think that the sound outweighs that one thing as I really do not care for chorusing.

My additional $.02 (now up tp $149.02)

P.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Y'know, it really puzzles me that the same players who think a company like Line6 can do no wrong, love to crap all over DigiTech, whose visionary designers have constantly pushed the envelope w/products like an 8 second looper in a double sized floor pedal (over 20 years ago!), THE WHAMMY (I thru' IV), and one of the very first digital Leslie sims- the RPM-1. Altho' the OD's generated by a preamp tube, this baby produces a stereo field for the horns and a THIRD channel for the rotor. I did myself considerable brain damage bangin' out Jimmy Smith licks on a telecaster whilst standing in a Bermuda-esque triangle comprised of two cranked Twins & a thunderous Ampeg V4 bass head w/4 12 cab.

If they've managed to squeeze that sound into a small foot pedal, I'm all over it...

9. PSaulino

If they've managed to squeeze that sound into a small foot pedal, I'm all over it...[/quote]

That's the long and the short of it...

P.

10. jman

jman Member

If it's a good Leslie sound i'd give it a try...i also have a problem with the slow settings on the sims-i figured that it was just too complex of a thing to recreate properly or something since none of them seem to get it as they can with the faster speeds. i am going to look for a webclip of this pedal.

11. KjStrat62

KjStrat62 Member

I bought this pedal for the les sims only . It is a nice sounding leslie. Does give a little high end but that's not bad

12. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I don't know how it would work for "Badge", but the Arion SCH-Z does a credible Leslie