1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

DigiTech EX7 reviews

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sinner, May 23, 2006.

1. sinner

sinner Member

I always wanted a combo-expression pedal that had a decent whammy, wah, vibe, etc. and just saw an ad for the DigiTech EX7.

Anyone have one or tried one out that could comment?

Is it "true-bypass"?

Can you use it on your pedalboard just like a wah--first in chain, with ODs and boosts after?

What kind of power supply does it come with, what volts does it require?

Here's a link to MF listing, with pic and some of the features:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/home/navigation?q=digitech+ex-7

Thanks, I'm hoping to hear some good news about this one, but if it's all not-so-good better to know now!

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

It's definitely a fun pedal. I tried one out at the store.

The power supply it uses is the same one a whammy uses, i.e. a special digitech adaptor. The pedal comes with it.

I didn't get a lot of time to compare the bypass, but I doubt it's true bypass. How much of a tonesucker it is, I can't tell you that either, but if I had to make a guess, it's that it's pretty bad, like a whammy.

You can use it first in chain, last in chain, wherever, depending on the type of effect you're using (e.g. wah vs vibe).

The problem I had with the one I tried is that it wouldn't stay toe-down.....it would raise up a little. This was very annoying with the whammy, when I'd take my foot off my octaves would be badly dissonant. I don't know if this was just the one I tried or a problem with all of them.

Also, this thing has a bit of a learning curve. Aside from these problems, it does everything it says. I HIGHLY recommend buying an external footswitch to use it with, so you can shut on and off the dist. independently of the effect.

3. MrMunky

MrMunky Silver Supporting Member

Everything in this clip, including the "bass" was done on the EX-7. The Bass was just the whammy octave down function.

http://www.inrerocknroll.com/tunes/ExpFact.mp3

It's a neat effect. Not true bypass, but it doesn't seem to negatively affect the tone to have it on and bypassed.

You can definitely put it first in your chain as a wah. Works fine before ODs and Distortions, but the buffer makes it difficult to use in front of fuzzes. Another annoying problem is that some effects work better after a compressor, like the vibe & flanger, and others work better after overdrive, like the leslie sim.

That means if you stick it in a pedalboard, you might have to make some difficult decisions about which effects on it you'll use. That said, it's a lot of fun, and it sounds good.

4. sinner

sinner Member

Hey, thanks for the report, guys!

And MrMunky--nice & tasty clip, a real-world walk-through of many of the features of the EX7, that really helps me get to know this effect--thanks!

I think what I'm wanting is sometime to substitue for my wah, that also can do the Whammy, Vibe, and Space junk--rather than yet another pedal to find room for. But, perhaps this one would be best for special occasions only, and plug in when wanted, unplug when done (?)

5. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I had one for a while.

Not true bypass. (The buffer isn't terrible, but it isn't great, either.)

Most of the effects are done well. I thought that the Space Station synth swell is better than the original. Ditto the whammy. The Leslie sim is right up there with the best from other vendors. The flanger... ugh. The built-in distortions are OK, but the DF-7 gives you a lot more flexibility.

Keep in mind that the EX-7 is not designed around the concept of "patches". Don't expect to switch models on-the-fly.

6. subversivepinko

subversivepinko Member

I played one in a local store. The first one they pulled off the shelf was defective and made a massively loud squealing sound.

The second (working) one was a lot of fun. The wahs were suprisingly usable. I didn't find realtime control of the leslie or flanger especially useful, but the sounds were generally good. The SpaceChorus was a bit more digital sounding that I had hoped, but has some potential.

Overall, a pretty interesting little package.

7. VanStone

VanStone Member

Generally speaking it's a nice pedal. Certainly not boutique caliber, but it does a lot for the price and sounds decent. I like all the modulation type effects, with the exception of the whammy. I did not care for the distortion effects at all and don't use them.

It does affect tone, so I have mine on a true bypass loop. I found that, with the exception of flange, it works quite well near the end of your chain (mine is 3rd to last, right before delay and boost).

V

8. sinner

sinner Member

Thanks for more reviews. I have the MKS modular pedalpad, so I could place the effect first (where my Fulltone Clyde is now) but wire it underneath to be anywhere in the chain, i. e. near the end just before my reverb & delay--so that's not a problem. Tone suckage is though, I'll have to see if I can fit a A/B loooper on the board (darn, I just sold one!).

Hey TieDyedDevil--what is that DF-7 you mentioned, I don't know that one?

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

the DF-7 is digitech's distortion modeler. All the distortions on the EX-7 are taken from the DF-7, which is supposed to be a great buy

10. MrMunky

11. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I love your clips, Munk. Can you give us a blow by blow of the settings? And is this being used on the mixer out of the pedal?

12. MrMunky

Thanks!
    I wasn't paying all that much attention to the specific settings, but I can give a general overview.

The background is mostly the leslie emulation with all the controls at noon and the pedal all the way forward. The exception is one point during the solo where the background is the A/DA flanger model.

The bass is the whammy 1 octave up/down, all the way down.

The intro lead is the A/DA flanger, all three knobs at noon and the treadle somewhere in the middle.

The next is the whammy function, 50/50 mix with an octave up. That's followed by some straight forward univibe model stuff, then octave down blended. The second chorus begins with an octave up, followed by a 2 octave up whammy, and goes to an A/DA flanger model.

The synth swells are a combination of octave up swells and octave down swells.

That's about it. No wahs or volume pedal on this one because I didn't have the pedal on the floor.

13. Roodboy

Roodboy Supporting Member

Nice clips. I am diggin' the Ex-7, its probably the most fun pedal I've ever owned.

14. MrMunky