DigiTech FreqOut

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by 3dognate, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

IRL feedback doesn't happen in parallel with your dry signal, it replaces it. However, I'm glad you got it working for you.

2. JWDubois

JWDubois Member

Thanx for the reply. I was pretty sure DigiTech meant for the dry signal to fade when the harmonics kick in.

Even in parallel, when the harmonics kick in, they dominate the sound. It really doesn't sound much different than when I was running it in series. The main thing is being able to run a gate in front of the Freqout without gating the dry signal. That helps compensate for my sloppy playing so I can leave the Freqout on in latched mode and not have to pedal dance.

A neat feature of the Ultra (that I just thought of) is that to put the Freqout back in series, all I have to do is move the position of the FX loop up a grid row to the series path and set the Freqout back to "Dry". I don't have to change the physical wiring.

Edit: After some more testing, I agree it sounds better in series, the way Digitech intended. I’ll live with the necessary tap dancing for the better sound.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. jonne

jonne Member

I'm in the process of getting one to put before the carcosa, supernatural, obscura and luxe

I was curious as to what the influence was for the design of the pedal's face

4. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

In my discussions with Joel I told him that I wanted it to look like it was carved from steel and evoke a late 19th Century Machine Age look, almost like a draftsman drawing. Also I wanted something that looked desaturated so that the red LED's would jump out even when they were off. I thought it would compliment the super-red of the Ricochet.

5. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Part of the reason I bought a ricochet was becasue I thought it would look awesome next to my Freqout!

And it does....

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  6. Madmax25

Madmax25 Member

And a fine job you did of that! The FreqOut is easily the coolest looking pedal on my board. And I'm seriously thinking of adding a Ricochet to my board as well. Not only does it look good, but I could really go with a Whammy sound from time to time...

7. Transmisser

Transmisser Member

Trying to determine if there's something going on with the Freqout I received last week. When I put it in sub mode, I don't really get an audible sub frequency if I go below my 8th fret on my low E string. I have to put the gain pretty high to hear anything. Is this normal behavior like how some other pitch pedals don't register below certain frequencies on the guitar neck?

@Tom Von Kramm

8. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

9. BlueHeaven

BlueHeaven Member

friend33 and soundxplorer like this.
  10. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

I ordered one...the demos seem great.

Elantric likes this.
  11. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Probably the last batch/sell out.

12. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

Even though I have one (and love it), this was a good reminder to check for other deals...

So, if anyone's interested they've also got Carcosa's at $49 right now as well.

madmarcus1960 likes this.
  13. 68Injunhed

68Injunhed Member

That’s about a hundie less than I paid for mine. Awesome pedal.

friend33 and Elantric like this.
  14. Zeebs315

Zeebs315 Member

@Tom Von Kramm

I just got my freqout, super stoked at how this thing sounds!!! Quick question regarding your experience with its placement.

I have a volume pedal and a compressor that I use up front in the chain at the moment. Is there a preferred order regarding the freqout in relation to these two?

15. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

IMHO it sounds best first in the chain. However, I know there are some players that prefer it post-compressor for increased sustain, so try that too.

Zeebs315 likes this.
  16. Zeebs315

Zeebs315 Member

Thank you Tom, killer product!

Tom Von Kramm likes this.
  17. tochiro

tochiro Member

I have 3 questions about the Freqout:
    - Does the sustained note continue as long as you want or is there a limit.
    - Is it polyphonic?
    - Can it replace an eBow?

Thank you!

18. Ingolf

Ingolf Member

- The sustained note decays after a while. With a good vibrato it can last pretty long though.
    - no, monophonic
    - IMO yes, absolutely. In fact I sold my eBow after getting the Freqout.

tochiro likes this.
  19. Tom Von Kramm

Tom Von Kramm Vendor

Keep in mind that natural feedback is monophonic. The FreqOut is designed to replicate natural feedback at lower levels, or where you no longer have a natural feedback path, as in a studio control room.

tochiro likes this.
  20. RockManDan

RockManDan Member

correct. i use it as extra spice when playing leads and hitting those money notes. Always nice to just stomp on the freqout and have the note jump up into the rafters like i planned it that way, except without the crushing stage volume usually required to get that sound.

friend33 likes this.