Digitech GSP-1101-This thing is a cheaper monster!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SeeMoore, Jan 9, 2008.

1. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

Yes, I am comparing the 1101 to the Axe-FX.
    No, I have not heard them side by side, but from the clips I have heard, the 1101 holds it's own against the 3x more expensive Axe-FX.

The 1101 makes a great alternative to players on a budget who want great tone with the option of good variety of flavours.

I'm sure the Axe has more effects, but that's not what I'm talking about, it's the core tone the units can produce.

Not tryin' to start any trouble, just sharing my thoughts.

Here's a clip of a few presets I made.

http://boomp3.com/m/6ded29c86972

:BEER

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So you own an 1101?

3. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

4. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

But you don't own an Axe-FX, yet you are comparing them? That doesn't make sense.

Enjoy what you have man, it isn't a contest.

5. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What did I miss??????

6. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

No, I don't have an Axe-FX, don't even have access to one, other than the clips posted here and there.

And you're right, it ain't a contest, I'm just happy with my set-up.

7. dweebetweek

dweebetweek Member

I do own Both and the gsp1101 feels and sounds better than every modeller I have ever tried or owned but it is still second to the Axe fx. The Axe just puts a smile on my face when I play it, I spend more time playing with the few presets that I made up and less time tweaking, I can't say the same for every other modeller I have owned,vg8-vg88-vg99,pod,podxt live, pod pro,tonelab se, gnx4 ,all the valvetronix line,Most of the yamaha dg line, software, etc. etc.

8. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

OK but if u are on a budget is the Axe worth 3x what the 1101 costs?

9. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Depends on what you mean by budget....if you are really on a "budget", the Axe-FX isn't even an option. Otherwise, I don't think we would be having this conversation. :munch

10. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Budget means I have the moola in hand right now to buy the 1101 but to get the Axe I have to save for another 6 months. Is the Axe that much better?

11. dweebetweek

dweebetweek Member

If I could not swing an axe fx the gsp1101 would be my first choice. before the gsp1101 I was using a pod xt live with a harmonic converger and it never felt right, not talking about sound, just feel. When I first made up a few presets in the gsp1101 it just felt better and sustained longer. the main trick with the gsp with all patches is to turn the gate down so notes sustain and don't get cut off. the factory settings of the gate feel very unnatural.

12. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So you're not really on a budget then, I see. Hehehehe.

13. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

No not really. I've allways been the guitar-amp-cab type but some people are on a budget. If the 1101 can give you 80-90% of what the Axe can do tone wise then I think the 1101 is what I'd go with if I was on a budget.

14. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Do you own Blue Angel Music?

15. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

16. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

No problem - if you aren't on the list for the axe-fx yet, it will take at least that long to get the 'offer to buy' email.

17. BSHARP

BSHARP Member

I don't have an Axe-Fx, but, there might be one in my future. In the mean time I have been enjoying both my newly acquired GSP1101 and the Adrenalinn III update. I like the effects on the 1101 and they work great with a regular guitar amp. The Adrenalinn III has outstanding modeling, effects sequencing and drums that sync to the effects. The inspiration you get when playing through this box is amazing. Between the two, I don't have any immediate GAS to get an Axe-Fx. It is nice to be happy with what you have.

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Glad that you're happy with your gear! I haven't played one, but heard good things about them.

Now, not fair to compare them if you don't or haven't played both. I'm sure you're whole point is 'price'; then you get into the 'Is an AFX THREE TIMES better sounding than my 1101?'. Well, of course not. Especially if all you are going on is clips.

And 'Sure the Axe has more FX, but that's not the point' IS THE POINT. You get all that plus a better tone generator. Bottom line.

But I agree that it's probably a good alternative if you don't want to pony up the nut to get the AFX, but comparisons? No.

EP

19. JGP

JGP Member

A question or 2 to the members that use the Digitech. Are you running through a guitar amp or some other setup?

Can anyone compare it to the GNX4? I'm curious as I never could bond with mine and sold it.

20. SeeMoore

SeeMoore Member

I run the 1101 into the effects return on a Peavey Bravo, it's a good sound, 2 EL84's, but I'm thinking "stereo", the Randall 2/50 power amp Scott uses with his Axe-FX appears to be the way to go.

Then there is the Groove Tubes SFX

http://www.groovetubes.com/SFX_Space_Station_Mk._II_P2169.cfm

I haven't tried a GNX4 so I can't compare it, I learned my lesson with this thread. :nono