Digitech gsp 2101 locked up????

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Relicula, May 5, 2008.

1. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I have an early model of this pre amp / processor which I use for late night and quiet fiddling around.

The other day while using it I spun the data knob to change presets, and it locked up. No display in red indicating the preset number, and the display just reads the Digitech banner, I tried a hard start according to the manual, and no luck.

Is it toast? I hate to invest a lot of dough into it, I got it on the cheap, and use it occasionally, but still its kinda cool to have.

Can anyone shed some light on what may be wrong?

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

Check inside. IIRC, there's a small CR2032 hold-up battery in there. I would replace that first, then try the hard reset again before concluding that it's anything worse.

When you say that the hard reset doesn't fix it, does it do anything at all? Does the display show any changes?

3. Relicula

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try the battery next.

The screen remains the same after a hard start, no red led lights indicating the preset number, and the Digitech banner is the only thing displaying. The data wheel when turned does not do anything at all?

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Let it sit for a while unplugged with the old battery out before you insert the new one.

5. mike80

mike80 Member

I would go with googoobaby's suggestion, followed by the hard reset again. It could be that the processor locked up. You could also take the top off, and see if the chips are seated properly.

If all else fails, check this dude: www.tube-tester.com He has an entire section dedicated to the 2101, and could probably tell you exactly what is wrong.

I have one that has a bad output section, so now it's just a parts donor. PM me if you find out something's bad with yours.

6. Relicula

Thanks Mike, I appreciate the info, and offer.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

mike80 makes a good point about the seating of the chips. You can give them a fairly firm press with the thumb to make sure their in well.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Any news on this Relicula?

9. Relicula

Thanks to all who helped, it was the battery.

Appreciate it men!!