Digitech GSP1101 XLR Output Questions

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Drew W, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

I've been using a GSP1101 (C63) and a Boogie 50/50 power amp for quite a few years. However, I've never been able to get a good sound going out the XLR right to the board and we always end up micing the cab.

The XLR to the PA always sounds small, thin and fuzzy while the sound going out of the 1/4" outs to my power amp and then to my cab sounds great.

I've tried the -10 and +4 and Variable settings on the XLR out. I've tried both XLR's with the stereo setting and one XLR with mono setting.

I have it set to use a universal cab to the XLR's only (Digitech Alt 4x12).

I'm guessing there is an output level I need to adjust. Or do I need to ask the soundman to adjust the board a certain way?

Anybody have any tips or specific settings I need to try?

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

That's the same global cab I've used for years. Best solution I found is to plug directly into the board, turn off your amp, fire up the PA and just set the levels and EQ a bit just like you would with a mic. I have old live videos that the audio is directly off the board and it sounds pretty fat using that same Alt412 and DI. The +4 output will clip some mixers, so I use the -10, as it's always easy to add a little gain at the board.

3. Raf_666

Raf_666 Member

Installing c63 firmware and using IRs (i use the free telos ones) opens up the sound ... Huge difference

R

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

axe or gsp i send both. direct to board via xlr and a mic'd up guitar speaker from my amplification rig. then they can blend, pan or do what they want with any signals. i hate frfr since its not even close to guitar cabs, but smaller gigs i can be fine with what's in a wedge, especially if we have limited space.

even with a modeler, there are some gigs where i just like the sound of the speaker being mic'd anyway (modeler as preamp w cabs off and output to my vht and guitar cab).

5. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Are you tweaking your patches with the PA in mind? Or are you creating them with the cab all the time.

IF the latter... there is your problem, I promise you.

6. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

I think you zeroed in on it. I'm creating the presets just listening through my power amp and cab. I guess I have to make some adjustments to them.

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Definitely. This will help.

One of the guys at my church recently got a QSC K10 to use at home, and he made some new patches. They sound PHENOMENAL through our system.

8. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

So I need to do as Buddaman suggested and just spend time with a PA system to adjust my patches for that or get a PA speaker like you recommended for home and work there and hope it translates to the PA of other venues.

9. Guyotron

Guyotron Member

10. Drew W

Drew W Supporting Member

I sorted out my issue. I had the XLR Out Level too high on the GSP1101. I dialed that back and my patches then sounded really good through the PA