DigiTech GSP2101 Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by ctreitzell, Sep 2, 2018.

1. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Not on mine - tried both quick press and hold - both have Tone generator, which is a bit pants. All I want is a muted tuner - can't see it on my FC either, tomorrow is a 'play day' so will see what I can find...

ctreitzell likes this.
  2. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Which footcontroller did you get? If you have a proprietary DigiTech Control One or GSP2101 FC, there is a "quick" access to the tuner.
    From page 81 of the Artist Manual:
    "Pressing the Program/Bank/Tuner footswitch three consecutive times will place you into tuner mode."

Trying the FC should, at least, give a clue as to what might be happening.

Do you know if the battery has been changed? If not, I would start there.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Larry Eh? likes this.
  3. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Tried the FC also, the bank pedal just cycles through Program No, Bank number and back.
    I don't think the battery needs changing, everything else works perfectly.

4. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

Since you have the 1. something firmware, maybe your unit doesn't have the tuner. I fully upgraded mine years ago to 3.00.00.a, including changing the crystal to 20MHz. I still have the original manual and don't see anything about a tuner in it, so the original version might not have included a tuner.

ctreitzell likes this.
  5. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I’ve bought and sold three GSP2101’s over the years (I got the very first one in Illinois when they came out) and I think I’m about to do it again. I have a love/hate relationship with my fancy pants head and pedalboard setup, and in all honesty... I only gave up on the Digitech because of the trend away from rack gear which was a mistake.

Is there a thread already about the main differences between the 2101, 2112, and 2120 here? I searched but couldn’t find it.

ctreitzell likes this.
  6. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

OK, I have (in the mean time) bought a rack mount tuner for around £130 (it's a Korg PB05 Pitchblack Pro 1U Rackmount Guitar and Bass Tuner) and is very good.

[​IMG]
    I have also ordered the 3.00.00a EPROMS from Dieter's site but maybe a while before they arrive. I also changed the battery a few days ago (just in case) - everything went smoothly with no loss of presets.

My next upgrade would be the 20Mhz processor, PPC-210 and dual S-Disc - this could start getting expensive lol.

P.S. Can anyone recommend a MIDI to USB adaptor / interface to upload and download patches etc.

7. wedgehed

wedgehed Member

8. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

The 20MHz upgrade only involves changing the crystal and 2 capacitors so only a few dollars worth of parts. However you have to take apart the machine and do some soldering.
    Installation- Manual for 20 MHz- Upgrade

9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Pretty much any midi capable audio interface will do. I have a mbox2, PreSonus Firestudio Mobile and RME UFX+ and they all handle 5pin DIN great :)

10. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Hi, This morning I am the proud owner of 2 x 3.00.00 EPROMS, and the crystal, 2 capacitors and cable ties from Dieter (impressed with the fast shipping)

I am keen to get the EPROMS installed - less keen on the 20Mhz upgrade but have 2 weeks before my next gig so might have to get my soldering iron out and give it a bash (been a while since I did any soldering but hopefully I still have a steady enough hand).

Although I know I will loose my presets, I take it the factory presets will be there (including the new ones) when I upgrade the firmware?

Larry Eh? and ctreitzell like this.
  11. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

My rig if anyone is interested... (Yeah I've just figured out how to add photo's lol)

The spare slots at the top will eventually house my Sennheiser radio mic receiver and possibly a midiverb (or similar) for my vocal effects.

[​IMG]

ctreitzell likes this.
  12. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Installed the 3.00.00 Eproms just now - the tuner is there now :)

I need to pluck up the courage to do the 20Mhz upgrade - seems quite a task...

ctreitzell and Larry Eh? like this.
  13. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

practice on some, junk, yo!

congrats on the EPROMs installation, the Artist firmware is great for linking params more quickly

if only Digitech had given us more memory...at least an upgrade path for memory expansion...nevermind! learn to use the pres and fx differently and the waters deepen:D

14. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Sorry, I don't get what you mean...

15. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Instead of using "traditional" Program Change midi commands with audible drop out between changes; set up some stompbox type min/max and or on/off effects and pre controls with your footcontroller. The Artist manual explains how to do this. Min/max is great for going to exact parameter values rather than searching with your expression pedal treadle. Also, you can set up 10 min/max parameters per Program.

I have talked about it a lot in this thread.

Something that is very easy to miss with the 2101 is there are 2 volume settings for volume in the pre; one setting for bypassed distortion and another for distortion engaged. Those volume controls are only available when the particular distortion state is active.

So, when your distortion is ON; set the volume level to taste>
    then, bypass distortion and your clean volume level can be set

now you can LINK a FC button min/max where:
    min= distortion bypass = clean
    and
    max= distortion on = dirt

further you can now set min/max for gain levels to another FC button LINK
    for example
    min = gain 1 level of 3.0 for crunch
    and
    max= gain 1 level of 9.0 for heavy distortion

You can turn modulation and time based fx on and off
    change modulation rates and depths to exact values

If you start using this type of methodology with the factory programs (presets), they become much more useful and you can save the precious little memory Digitech limited the 2101 with to create your unique algorithms and user programs :)

The huge positive here is there is no audible dropout by old switching program numbers.

If you haven't tried it; give it a go...I think it great...but then I enjoy programming as well as playing :)

maybe we should all start sharing (SysEx) Programs =-D

16. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

further, you can also set up loopers; you won't be able to save the loops like a modern looper
    BUT, you can create loops on the fly and turn the loops on/off

I prefer not to use the SAMPLER modules for this; I just use DELAYS

you will probably have to make a custom algorithm

roughly, something like this:
    set up 3 delays (probably in parallel; might require Dual SDisc for 3 Delays, tho)
    LINK those 3 DELAYs on/bypass to 3 FC buttons
    make your loops playing guitar one at a time
    then you can turn the loops on/off
    and play over them

realize, tho, once you get it all looping, if change programs: the loops will be gone forever

17. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Thanks for those tips - I'll check them out but...

I am seriously considering buying this GSP-2101 LE off eBay (has dual S-Disc, PPC-210 and 20Mhz crystal - I've asked if he can reduce it a bit as he is USA and I am UK so I will have to pay import tax (not sure how much that would be yet)

I can sell my old unit for around £285 in UK so that would offset the costs a little...

[​IMG]

18. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

That's the Cosmic Blue LE I was referring to considering to purchase. Go for it!

19. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Depends on the import tax costs though - and the shipping seems unreasonably high too...

ctreitzell likes this.
  20. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Well, he won't budge on price so I'll have to pass...

With VAT, import tax and shipping it would be over £700
    I'll wait and see if Dieter gets a PPC-210 card sometime soon - he said around 4-12 weeks at the end of January and he knows I want one so I'll keep pestering him lol

At least now (Thanks to Dieter) I am on V3.00.00 and have the crystal to upgrade to 20MHz now

ctreitzell likes this.