DigiTech GSP2101 Appreciation

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by ctreitzell, Sep 2, 2018.

1. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I have stopped looking outside of Europe for the most part. Last couple years I bought rack units from all over the globe...and it's not really worth it unless you find something pristine. That Parametric EQ guy's cosmic blue looks a little battered...if it was cherry, I would have bought it. What will happen when Brexit kicks in with import duty:dunno (for those of us in England, that is)

I am really happy with my maxed out 2101. You can do quite a bit with Artist firmware (3.00.00x), so start experimenting when you get the chance =-D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    JustinA1971 likes this.
  2. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Brexit - a horrid word (and notion) lol

I will have a play at some point this week - one other thing - is it really worth upgrading to 20MHz - I have the parts but seems a lot of faff (taking the unit apart and de-soldering and re-soldering the crystal and capacitors etc.)...

3. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I don't know the difference as my 2101 was originally a 20MHz version; so I can't answer :)

4. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Well I haven't got a gig until 28th Feb so may have a go. I will try and send pics and mention how I found it. I've ordered a precision soldering iron kit that has solder puller, tweezers, stand etc so that should do the trick.

5. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

I noticed that the expression pedal reacted faster and smoother after upgrading to 20MHz. But here's what Dieter writes on his website:
    Q: Which benefits do I get by installing the ".a" upgrade (20MHz upgrade) in my GSP2101?
    A: You'll get the following benefits:
    The speed increase is associated with:
    - program changes
    - higher multiplex speed of the 7 segment display and the LEDs
    - expression controller responsiveness
    - speed of response to user commands (operating system response)
    - speed of boot up
    - refresh rate of the display
    - algorithm compilation
    - etc.

6. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Has anyone done the 20 MHz upgrade that can maybe give me some tips?

7. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

No one done the 20MHz upgrade themselves then? Very quiet on here since I asked that lol

8. Larry Eh?

Larry Eh? Member

I did mine many years ago. All I can say is that I followed the instructions supplied by Dieter and all went well. It probably helped that I was an electronics technician so I was totally comfortable with the situation.

9. Guitarrista

Guitarrista Member

Ive played one for 10+ years and i love it, still have it but its in my studio now.

ctreitzell likes this.
  10. Priyal de Zoysa

Priyal de Zoysa Member

I think LED brightness might effect expression controller responsiveness as well. I should mention that my Built in Foot controller and also the external one seemed to give a delay once the Foot pedal reached a certain age (maybe after about 12+ years). Recently I managed to get hold of a new set of "genuine" replacement LEDs including one for the Foot Controller. My tech thought that the new foot controller LED was much brighter than the one it replaced. However I have not tested what the response is with the new LED as I am no longer using patches for Volume swell or wah, but planning on trying that again as I am struggling on small stages with my effects pedals. I will update you if I think the LED brightness will make a difference to the expression controller responsiveness as expected. I believe that I always had a 20Mhz clock speed in my GSP2101 Studio.

11. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Well as I have no gigs in March, I might have a go at the 20MHz upgrade this weekend - wish me luck guys, At worst, If I screw it up, I'll buy another 2101 lol

ctreitzell likes this.
  12. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Didn't get round to it yet but as all the venues are closed due to Covid-19 I have plenty of time now - at least one good thing to come out of all this madness...

13. Solarflares

Solarflares Member

I seem to remember that Steve Vai used the TSR24 dual s-disc , on a lot of the Sex and Religion record. Purely for it’s Gigaverb.

If using it to replace a plugin though - you’d really want to stay in digital using spdif connections to and from your interface. Something the TSR24 (or the 2101) doesn’t have.
    The usable alternative of that genre would then be the Quadraverb 2 with it’s Bigverb and ADAT interface.
    The Alesis has better sound-integrity and musical AD/DA converters - something the Digitech is slightly behind in - with it’s un-quantifiable grainy image and lack of conviction.

But even a cheap reverb can be eq’d to sound decent in a mix. Unfortunate that the Digitech algorithm doesn’t allow for post-reverb eq prior to summing.

I ran two Maxim dual-digital delays and an Alex reverb in my last big rig. Simply rolling off the bass on the Alex - turned what was already a good unit , into a great one.
    I tried to replace those with a single TSR12 , but it was immediately obvious that it was not suited to be a guitar signal path. It didn’t stand up on send/returns either. Just lifeless , digital nastiness - when compared to both the Maxims and the Alex.

So the TSR12 was delegated to run panning duties on my long delay , but I later discovered that the TSR12 goes very well with the IPS33B harmoniser - and both were eventually incorporated into the rig , with their own dedicated foot-controller and pedals for control. But they certainly required a different sonic-mindset to adjust to the somewhat brittle palette.

In the world of medium-priced outboards , I’m afraid things have only got worse - even though great converter chips are now available cheaply. (The ones in the MOTU M2 for instance)
    The Alex reverb is thought to be the last digital fx-rack made that had any kind of analogue integrity to it. Most stuff since has been simply toys - with sound as an afterthought- if at all.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
    hydroquebec likes this.
  14. JustinA1971

JustinA1971 Member

Finally did the 20Mhz upgrade - sorry I didn't take any pictures - it was fiddly (and a bit scary at times) but I did it and it works (is now 3.00.00 a)

The patch changes are pretty much instant now so am very happy I did it. Now just need a PPC-200 or PPC-210 card - still very hard to source though but for now, I am quite satisfied.

Oh, and it boots so quick, blink and you miss it lol

Larry Eh? and ctreitzell like this.
  15. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

congrats!:aok
    it's good to get cher hands dirty!

I think the standoffs on the PPC-200 are shorter...You could probably make your own if a PPC-210 never shows up

Larry Eh? likes this.